NS4G overheating

joker42179

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It seems my NS4G likes to get pretty hot while using it. The hottest it has gotten was last night playing Asphalt 6......got to about 46 degrees C. Does anyone else have this problem?? Should I bring it back to Sprint for an exchange??

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just recently got a Nexus S but based on previous experience with my Pre-, 46C is a reasonable temperature for a mobile device to reach when it is doing something intensive like gaming. It is probably normal, but like I said, I am new to the NS4G and Android in general.

davem2421

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd take it in and have it looked at, mine has never gotten to the point where it was hot to the touch.

when I'm on conf calls on my phone for 30+ mins it does get warm but nothing that would indicate an issue.

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes mine gets very hot. Are you looking at the battery temp? Is there another temp display? I have seen where my battery read 46C and the phone was hot, really hot. Maybe because I have a 'plasticy' case it can't 'breathe'? Who knows..But like you said, it is only when the phone is doing something intensive.

EDIT: BTW this is my second Nexus, I took the first one back because of the heat issue and signal issue and was just hoping for one better. Not the case

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed recently that my phone gets very hot. Sometimes 109F. Earlier today it was 107F. I wasn't doing anything with it. A reboot calmed it down. Are you guy's stock or rooted?

bend484

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Great to have someone to talk to ...... my ns4g has hit 114f , no joke, notice its the face screen hot to the touch ... this is with streaming or gaming, ..... no kernel or CPU mods, unrooted, mild Google app processes and stock battery, love to hear from you guys.

bend484

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I noticed your reboot claim, good move, we (ns4g owners) need to find a way to calm down the CPU/gpu processes to allow a bit of cooling period, I do believe this is key to reduce an abuse on the devices system ... ty

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
My phone gets really hot and turns off by itself and only a battery pull will turn it back on. My phone is rooted but it does this when it is just sitting there doing nothing. It seems that it started doing it more and more since upgrading to ICS. I am looking forward to getting a new phone when my contract is up next year. I don't know if I will ever get another Samsung phone again. This is the second NS4g that I have had. First one didn't have great signal.

rcough

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to say that I'm glad it's not just my phone. Lately mine has started overheating while in my pocket! I have a stock nexus s 4g from sprint, not rooted or anything. Been experiencing lag and crappy battery life since ICS. But the overheating thing is relatively new and making me crazy.

When I'm leaving the house, I make sure the battery is charged, kill all running apps-- using advanced task killer, lock the phone and then put it in my pocket.

By the time I get to school or work (~20 minutes), the phone is uncomfortably hot in my pocket and it's unresponsive. Can't unlock or reboot, always have to pull the battery and let it cool for 20 minutes. Once it's working again, the battery is down to ~30% charged!

Gotten to the point that I keep the phone turned off until I actually need it to call someone or check messages. Then turn it off again. So much for having a smartphone...can't even enjoy my apps or connectivity. Phone is only 1yr old. :(

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to say that I'm glad it's not just my phone. Lately mine has started overheating while in my pocket! I have a stock nexus s 4g from sprint, not rooted or anything. Been experiencing lag and crappy battery life since ICS. But the overheating thing is relatively new and making me crazy.

When I'm leaving the house, I make sure the battery is charged, kill all running apps-- using advanced task killer, lock the phone and then put it in my pocket.

By the time I get to school or work (~20 minutes), the phone is uncomfortably hot in my pocket and it's unresponsive. Can't unlock or reboot, always have to pull the battery and let it cool for 20 minutes. Once it's working again, the battery is down to ~30% charged!

Gotten to the point that I keep the phone turned off until I actually need it to call someone or check messages. Then turn it off again. So much for having a smartphone...can't even enjoy my apps or connectivity. Phone is only 1yr old. :(

Sounds like a couple of apps to me. If you kill say Facebook for example with a task killer, but also have it set to constantly receive notifications it will create a cycle of one app killing the other just to start itself back up to be killed to start up . . . Over and over. Now say you kill several apps that do this. Major system demands! Do yourself a favore and get rid of the task killer to start with. Then look at all your apps and see how often they are using your data. Limit how often your phone is pulling on data and thus running in the background.

Michaela Downs

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I strongly agree because when I was trying to sleep and my Nexus s 4g got overheated while I was sleeping which the phone was right by my chest and I guess I drooled and there went my Nexus s 4g then I finally got an Iphone,but,then I recently got an Samsung Galaxy 2 then I lost that and now I have an crappy HTC Google phone and next I don't know where I will go from there.:-\:-\:-\:-