Ringtone from mp3 in music library.

FrostyPaws

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have been trying for a few days to figure out how to set a ringtone from a song already in my music library and none of the online docs seem to work.

Some of them say to go into the music app and hold tap on the song and it will offer set as ringtone as an option but it doesnt.

Sorry if this is stupid but I come from webos where everything is intuitive.

automatous

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Try ringtone maker in the market; worked great for me.

As a day one Pre owner I'd argue there's nothing intuitive about a touch screen phone with no stock option for a virtual keyboard, no ability to add app shortcuts to your homepage, not being able to remove the stupid arrow from the dock, etc.

I take your point that some of the built in stuff on webos takes more work on android, but I don't miss webos at all. Good ideas, but crap hardware and a dead app market. I'm loving the options and support on android.

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
There's also ringdroid, which is a great app.
I gave up my pre for the evo last year, so I've already had a while to get used to android, but I definitely remember there were things I missed at first. Hell, I STILL miss cards and gestures, but after a little while you won't look back. There's just so much more power behind android. Just hang in there.

nexusandroidnoob2

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
plug in USB, create "ringtones" folder, put mp3 there too.

Hi,

I have been trying for a few days to figure out how to set a ringtone from a song already in my music library and none of the online docs seem to work.

Some of them say to go into the music app and hold tap on the song and it will offer set as ringtone as an option but it doesnt.

Sorry if this is stupid but I come from webos where everything is intuitive.

plug in USB, create "ringtones" folder, put mp3 there too

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah its not really safe to download stuff from the Android market. Half of the apps are malware from Chinese dudes.

Simply not true. The fact that Google has taken down the few malware apps as they were found (out of the 100K or so apps) is a good sign. Painting all apps with that same brush is just factually inaccurate.

FrostyPaws

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Simply not true. The fact that Google has taken down the few malware apps as they were found (out of the 100K or so apps) is a good sign. Painting all apps with that same brush is just factually inaccurate.

It is still not what I would consider safe, especially with what everyone does with their smartphones these days. Selecting ringtones is basic functionality like setting wall paper, or making a phone call.

Ho12nyGuy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
You could always edit the mp3 down so that way you would not have to worry about having "2x the amount of storage". Yes, you would have some space taken up but you wouldn't have as much. Sometimes you just can't have it all...
If you don't want to download the ringtone maker using the android market, you could always just do it on your computer using sony express, or nero or other software..

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
email MMS it to yourself from your computer. As long as its not a large file it should send.

This is the address to use (xxx)xxx-xxxx@pm.sprint.com

Then while its playing, select it to use as ringtone.

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Is there a download free ringtones app? I know there was one for the Palm Pre that from what I understood had virtually every song because it utilized the 30 second preview from iTunes. It worked flawlessly for me. If there isn't any easy to use free ringtone app (not creation app, straight download free ringtones app) I can use my old Pre over wifi and drop box the files or worst case usb them onto my Nexus S. Obviously a simple app would be the best solution. Any suggestions?