Google voice

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey all I have Nexus S 4g and I just made a new email account with a new google voice number for business. When I go to google voice app, it says pick an acount and I pick my new email.

The problem is that "pick your google voice number" option comes up and I pick the option that says use your google voice number. Does this mean my real phone number wont work anymore?

Because I want to use the app for my buz number and my sprint number for personal. I need the app, so I know who called and because it retains history.

The old GV was much easier to use.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have both my Google voice number and regular number on my phone. ISO remember the prompt when I first set up my Google voice, but somehow I bypassed that and was able to keep them separate. I still see the option when I go to my online account. J like keep them separate so that I can use my Google voice number for business.

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Well I did option 1 and it messed up bc now when someone texts me it comes to my Voice app and when I call out, it shows my GV#

how do I got back to normal? I went to Voice app signed out of my email account, will that fix it?

jtfishbein

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Hey all I have Nexus S 4g and I just made a new email account with a new google voice number for business. When I go to google voice app, it says pick an acount and I pick my new email.

The problem is that "pick your google voice number" option comes up and I pick the option that says use your google voice number. Does this mean my real phone number wont work anymore?

Because I want to use the app for my buz number and my sprint number for personal. I need the app, so I know who called and because it retains history.

The old GV was much easier to use.

Same thing happened to me. It eventually worked right.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Go to google voice, click on the gear in the upper right of the screen, go to google voice settings.

Next to your phone number there were will be a link for sprint integration, click it and disable sprint integration.

After you disable, on your phone, go to menu > settings > manage applications > google voice. Force stop, clear cache & data and uninstall updates. (If you can un-install it here as well then go ahead, I don't *think* it should matter though).

Go to the market and install Google Voice market version. Open it, choose your account and adjust your settings as desired.

(You may not even have to try to download the market version, after you tell Google to not integrate the number, if you clear the data and restart Voice on your handset it should be fine)

Reactions: mikachu

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Solution:

While I didnt try thefred's solution, I did it another way.

Okay so i picked the first option of GV integration. This made it so whoever I called, it would seem like I am calling from my GV# and anyone calling me would go straight to my GV#. This wasnt good.

So all I had to do was call sprint Customer Service and after some talking he found the option to unlink google voice to my number and voila proble solved.

Now it is the way I wanted it: to have to seperate numbers and to use the Voice app to see who called me for accounting and text messages.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Solution:

While I didnt try thefred's solution, I did it another way.

Okay so i picked the first option of GV integration. This made it so whoever I called, it would seem like I am calling from my GV# and anyone calling me would go straight to my GV#. This wasnt good.

So all I had to do was call sprint Customer Service and after some talking he found the option to unlink google voice to my number and voila proble solved.

Now it is the way I wanted it: to have to seperate numbers and to use the Voice app to see who called me for accounting and text messages.

Sweet, that's as easy as just going to google voice settings and disabling the integration. I just wasn't sure if the app data needed to be refreshed but it looks like it gets the setting from Google Voice even after it's initially setup and works accordingly. Good to know, thank you for the update.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
You can still do it via google voice app. thats how i have it setup. When you disable sprint integration all it does is remove code from your account on sprint's system. which is same way as calling them.

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
You can still do it via google voice app. thats how i have it setup. When you disable sprint integration all it does is remove code from your account on sprint's system. which is same way as calling them.

I can't seem to find a dial pad in the Google voice app it only shows me the text msg's sent to my GV #.

What I'm trying to do is use my phone to call folks from my Sprint number then when I want to also call folks from my GV #

Sent from that Nexus S 4G via Tapatalk

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
there is no dial pad. but you can use it few ways. First u can setup a google voice widget that allows you to setup google voice settings on the fly. you can have google voice take over completely when you try to dial a number or contact, you can set it up for only international calls, you can set it up to never use google voice and u can set it up to prompt you to use google voice or not.

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
there is no dial pad. but you can use it few ways. First u can setup a google voice widget that allows you to setup google voice settings on the fly. you can have google voice take over completely when you try to dial a number or contact, you can set it up for only international calls, you can set it up to never use google voice and u can set it up to prompt you to use google voice or not.

Oh man that's pretty cool. I just added the widget and it works perfectly. I just wish that any number you called from the Google Voice app would just use my Google voice number automatically but hopefully that can be a future update. But for now this little widget is good enough.

Sent from that Nexus S 4G via Tapatalk

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I set up Google Voice, but now text messages are not going through my normal messaging service...I don't want to use GV for text messaging! How do I stop that?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I set up Google Voice, but now text messages are not going through my normal messaging service...I don't want to use GV for text messaging! How do I stop that?

Open GV, go to settings and check send text notifications.

If you are doing it from the android GV app, it is under 'sync and notifications' within settings. You'd also want to turn off GV notifications unless you want to receive double notifications. Unfortunately a side effect is you wont get VM notifications either but a workaround until they update the app to allow the notification settings to be more granular is to send a notification of VM via SMS or email.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you are doing it from the android GV app, it is under 'sync and notifications' within settings. You'd also want to turn off GV notifications unless you want to receive double notifications. Unfortunately a side effect is you wont get VM notifications either but a workaround until they update the app to allow the notification settings to be more granular is to send a notification of VM via SMS or email.

Text notification for text is the first setting on the GV app or right under the phone settings on GV on the web, also there you can go to voice mail for separate voice mail notifications.

For instance my g/f uses GV integrated to Sprint, she has her Sprint # on GV, she uses handcent and doesn't receive text notifications from GV, but GV handles her voice and she gets text notifications with the transcript.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Text notification for text is the first setting on the GV app or right under the phone settings on GV on the web, also there you can go to voice mail for separate voice mail notifications.

For instance my g/f uses GV integrated to Sprint, she has her Sprint # on GV, she uses handcent and doesn't receive text notifications from GV, but GV handles her voice and she gets text notifications with the transcript.

On my phone, if you go into the GV app, you hit menu.. settings.... sync and notifications.... and in there you can check a box called "text messages" (notify via text message) and what that will do is forward incoming SMS to your phone via cell so the phone's SMS app will receive them.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
On my phone, if you go into the GV app, you hit menu.. settings.... sync and notifications.... and in there you can check a box called "text messages" (notify via text message) and what that will do is forward incoming SMS to your phone via cell so the phone's SMS app will receive them.

Yup, then if you un check notifications in Google Voice and go to gv's site and setup voicemail notifications they will all just send to your regular number but still using GV for your phone's voicemail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11