I noticed an odd condition a couple weeks ago, and it persists... I have a very weak signal in my house (despite what Sprint's coverage map says). Almost two years ago, they sent me an Airave free of charge and waved the monthly fee, and it worked fine on our 'old' phones (Samsung Exclaim) just fine. Fast forward to the new Nexus S 4g, and it still *seems* to work pretty well...

However, while wandering my house, I get between zero and one bar of signal as though the airave is not working. Then, if I make or receive a phone call, the signal immediately jumps to full strength and I never seem to drop or miss a call, so it *seems* to be acting appropriately...

But it's got me wondering: Is this normal? On the Exclaim, it never varied the signal strength as once it was picked-up by the Airave, it never lost the signal... Is the signal meter on the Nexus just that much more sensitive? Does the Airave go into a low-powered sleep mode when it's not actively transcieving with a phone?

Just seems odd... Don't know what to make of it...
    06-08-2011 08:27 AM
    I am convinced. That the nexus s 4g has issues with connection management in general. I am starting to think that the signal issue is a symptom of the way connections are managed.
    06-08-2011 08:52 AM
    When you make or get calls do you hear the 3 tones to confirmed the call is routed via the airave
    06-08-2011 10:01 PM
    you must have the older samsung airave. upgrade to the newer airvana airave, supports EVDO and has expanded coverage. My bars do fluctuate depending on where i am in the house, however the calls are always clear & never drop.
    06-09-2011 09:06 AM
    I returned my old Samsung for the Airvana due to EVDO and havent had any issues at all with signal strength with my NS4G.
    06-09-2011 09:27 AM
    I noticed an odd condition a couple weeks ago, and it persists... I have a very weak signal in my house (despite what Sprint's coverage map says). Almost two years ago, they sent me an Airave free of charge and waved the monthly fee, and it worked fine on our 'old' phones (Samsung Exclaim) just fine. Fast forward to the new Nexus S 4g, and it still *seems* to work pretty well...

However, while wandering my house, I get between zero and one bar of signal as though the airave is not working. Then, if I make or receive a phone call, the signal immediately jumps to full strength and I never seem to drop or miss a call, so it *seems* to be acting appropriately...

But it's got me wondering: Is this normal? On the Exclaim, it never varied the signal strength as once it was picked-up by the Airave, it never lost the signal... Is the signal meter on the Nexus just that much more sensitive? Does the Airave go into a low-powered sleep mode when it's not actively transcieving with a phone?

Just seems odd... Don't know what to make of it...
    I got the newer Airave Airvana just a few days ago and it does the exact same thing as your older Samsung Airave. My nexus s and my brothers Evo Shift can show like 1 bar around the house when not on call and then as soon as we make a call it jumps up to full bars or 3 out of 4 bars. I am thinking too that the airave sits in a standby mode with it putting out minimal signal and as soon as it is called upon it boosts itself to full strength. Kind of a cool feature because who wants full strength waves flowing throughout the house possibly causing cancer??? lol just saying!
    06-09-2011 12:31 PM
    I 100% agree with the Samsung Nexus connection issues. It doesn't matter where I am, I get disconnected or lost call. I have been loyal to Sprint since 2001 and I believe it is finally time to cut them loose. I never received the 4g within the two years of my EVO like they promised. Now that I have the Nexus 4g LTE, I am supposed to get that coverage according to their map and still do not. The Airave is a joke. It works for maybe a day or two and then needs reset. I live in a major metro part of a city where you would think in this day and age a cell signal would not be an issue. Sprint maybe the cheapest for their phone plans but what is the point when you can't use the network half the time anyway. Sprint is always playing catch up and is far from leading the pack. The Samsung Nexus is a great phone with its features. My wife loves her IPhone 4s. They are only good when Sprint is working. It is like having a Ferrari that keeps getting a flat tire. You have it, but you can't use it when you keep having to fix it. My Sprint tombstone will read 6/30/01-05/28/14.
    03-16-2013 10:13 AM
    I have an AIRAVE and noticed this at first as well. I just updated my PRL and Profile while in the house and rebooted and never had another issue with it again.
    03-18-2013 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD