Google, Samsung, Sprint investigate Nexus S Problems

Richard1864

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Thought you guys would like to read this article, it just went up on PC World's web site this morning.

Google, Samsung and Sprint Investigate Nexus S Problems | PCWorld

Sign in | Join Us | Newsletters | RSS
PCWorld

Google, Samsung and Sprint Investigate Nexus S Problems
Users say photos are being deleted, but the cause of the problem remains unclear.
By Matt Hamblen
Jun 9, 2011 10:21 AM

Sprint, Samsung and Google are investigating customer complaints about problems with Nexus S smartphone connections and the deletion of photos taken with the devices, a Sprint spokesman said.

Last edited by a moderator:

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
This is the first time I've even heard of the deleted photos issue...and they barely mention the 3G/4G connection problems.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Why is there no signal issues addressed? UGH! and I am sorry but this is totally wrong;

"We are aware of the connectivity reports being brought forward by a small number of Nexus S 4G customers,"

More like everyone! Its just that the average consumer wont be on forums about it!

uly_g

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I just exchanged my first NS4G for a new one on my 28th day to see if a new one would solve the problem but it still has the signal issues. The manager at the sprint store said he's heard about it but hadn't heard about a solution yet :( i just hope that its just a software issue and not a hardware issue!

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
..."We are aware of the connectivity reports being brought forward by a small number of Nexus S 4G customers,"...

I know is frustrating but this is a PR thing. Even if the entire world were to complain about an issue to the company, they will only admit to a "small group" on any official communication. Imagine what would happen if they officially addressed the existance of a problem and that almost all customers are experiencing it. That would certainly kill their sales and may open the door for possible litigation.

I for one am happy that all relevant parties are looking into the issue as that means is real and will be addressed.

mickie98

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I know is frustrating but this is a PR thing. Even if the entire world were to complain about an issue to the company, they will only admit to a "small group" on any official communication. Imagine what would happen if they officially addressed the existance of a problem and that almost all customers are experiencing it. That would certainly kill their sales and may open the door for possible litigation.

What he said .........they are looking at all reports and will certainly make it right. Have confidence.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting, and will wait.. my date is July 8th... if not I am moving on, I know this is a great device and it would even better with this fix, but it makes me wonder... do any of the Google/Sprint/Samsung employees have this Sprint phone? There has got be! Come on Andy Rubin! This is your baby!

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to wait for the fix instead of jumping to another phone. I've done that in the past to only see the phone I left get the update it needed soon after. Not going to do that again. I love this phone too much.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
That article sounded more like Sprint/Google/Samsung are working hard at blowing that 'small number' of people off. Not a great move since many (myself included) are just standing by waiting for the Evo 3D to be released in two weeks.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
A new build is being tested. Some tweaks, in combination with the old, pre-out-of-the-box-OTA baseband are on more than one Sprint engineer's Nexus S.

Yes, we know this is true. We can't say anything more without putting a job or two at risk. A few folks at Sprint like to keep us in the loop, and we appreciate it. We also can't share the backstory on this. I can tell you the above, and show you the attached pic. This is why it never made the blog a few weeks back.

Anything you hear differently, is either wild guessing or from a different source.

Salt72

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
It seemed odd to me that the article talked mostly about the picture issue (which is actually the first that I personally have heard about that)...and just kinda passed over the reception issue. My 30 days is up this weekend and I'm going to stick it out with the Nexus. I figure if it turns out to be a hardware issue, it should be covered by the 1 year warranty.

Reactions: FocusFreak

Salt72

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
A new build is being tested. Some tweaks, in combination with the old, pre-out-of-the-box-OTA baseband are on more than one Sprint engineer's Nexus S.

Yes, we know this is true. We can't say anything more without putting a job or two at risk. A few folks at Sprint like to keep us in the loop, and we appreciate it. We also can't share the backstory on this. I can tell you the above, and show you the attached pic. This is why it never made the blog a few weeks back.

Anything you hear differently, is either wild guessing or from a different source.

Was there any indication of when that may be released? Just curious.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Was there any indication of when that may be released? Just curious.

nope. And that's the stickler. Wifi issues are probably Google's to fix, since it's open source and in the 2.x tree. 3G and things like PRL bugs and handoffs, are all Sprint's to fix. Wimax is a mix of both, with some code in the source tree and some proprietary code from Sprint.

I'm sure they're busy trying to build a fix for the people who have issues, yet not breaking the network for the people who don't. I'm still convinced it has something to do with the towers in your area, based on the reports that come in to Android Central. i would say 2/3 have no issues, while the other 1/3 have horrible 3g and 4g reception. in any case, it's much more than "a few", and nobody is imagining it.

bsoft#AC

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm in the 1/3 who is having signal issues. 3G and 4G reception are both poor on my Nexus S 4G, although I am not sure how much of that might be Sprint's fault (my previous device was a T-Mobile Nexus One, which did reasonably well).

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm still convinced it has something to do with the towers in your area, based on the reports that come in to Android Central. i would say 2/3 have no issues, while the other 1/3 have horrible 3g and 4g reception. in any case, it's much more than "a few", and nobody is imagining it.

That reminds me...
I got a weird courtesy call from Sprint a few days ago asking me if I was pleased with my service or if I had any comments or complaints. I stated that the 4G service was extremely spotty and 3G on my new phone was not as strong as with previous phones. He explained that I currently have three towers serving my location and that in the near future there would be five more, that my area was a high priority for service upgrades and improvements. I asked when this would all be taking place, but he said he was not allowed to go into details. Not sure whether to call BS on this, but I found it interesting that there were plans for five more towers serving the area. I don't know if this means entirely new towers or hitching onto existing towers or some of both.