Google, Samsung, Sprint investigate Nexus S Problems

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Easy fellas. No need to keep on him -- we've all done stupid things on the internet before. Let's just stick to discussing the (hopefully solved soon) issues with the NS4G.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Its clearly based on your area. If all the phones were bad, there is no way 1 person would be having issues while 3 in different areas are not. Everyone would be complaining. I still think most people are just getting freaked out to see 1 bar or no bars. I get anywhere from 1-3 bars in my house but my phone works fine. The bars dont mean much of anything. Now if you are in a weak area and you are having problems making or recieving calls or your internet wont work, thats a problem. However, it seems to be a rather small percentage of Nexus owners are having that issue.

Remember too, I would say not even HALF of Nexus owners even know these forums exist let alone join them and post on them. Maybe 35-40% do? Thats probably a stretch. So the only time someone is going to go online and search out a forum is if they are having issues. People happy with their phones arent going to do anything. So lets be very generous and say 40% of Nexus S owners are on a forum, less than half of those are having issues meaning what? 15%? In the scope of things, thats a very small number of people. If you were talking about 40% of all Nexus S owners having issues, then its very major. I would guess its maybe 10-15% if that and I can bet they live in areas with no so great reception.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So, if the data issue is in software, why does the phone register such a low signal strength related to other phones? That sounds like a hardware issue to me.

grayin

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
My nexus s 4g is awesome for wifi 3g and 4g. Now Google voice...that is another story. If it wasn't for that it would be the best phone ever. There do seem to be a lot of people on this board with signal issues though.

hellohellokitty36

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Omg!!! When I first got the nexus S I was lovin it totally! Now about a week later my signal in my house is disgusting! Other than that I love this phone but getting no signal is almost a deal breaker! Coming from the evo I am so not used to this and I hope something is done ASAP!

mmaldin

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Its clearly based on your area. If all the phones were bad, there is no way 1 person would be having issues while 3 in different areas are not. Everyone would be complaining. I still think most people are just getting freaked out to see 1 bar or no bars. I get anywhere from 1-3 bars in my house but my phone works fine. The bars dont mean much of anything. Now if you are in a weak area and you are having problems making or recieving calls or your internet wont work, thats a problem. However, it seems to be a rather small percentage of Nexus owners are having that issue.

Remember too, I would say not even HALF of Nexus owners even know these forums exist let alone join them and post on them. Maybe 35-40% do? Thats probably a stretch. So the only time someone is going to go online and search out a forum is if they are having issues. People happy with their phones arent going to do anything. So lets be very generous and say 40% of Nexus S owners are on a forum, less than half of those are having issues meaning what? 15%? In the scope of things, thats a very small number of people. If you were talking about 40% of all Nexus S owners having issues, then its very major. I would guess its maybe 10-15% if that and I can bet they live in areas with no so great reception.

<10% IMHO

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So, if the data issue is in software, why does the phone register such a low signal strength related to other phones? That sounds like a hardware issue to me.

the way a phone interprets signal strength is done in the software. remember when the iphone 4 first came out, there were complaints about low signal strength (separate from the youre holding it wrong thing). it turned out that all previous iphones had a software bug that was having the signal showing a bar or two stronger than it really was.

3dognate

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Being one of those affected by the signal issue. I can assure you that it isn't that the f'n phone shows fewer bars than you actually should. I wish eveyone would drop that concept. Actualyl not having a connection or one with little to no data throughput is the issue... If the bars were one to none and data actually flowed then who cares. But that's not the case

davpel

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Being one of those affected by the signal issue. I can assure you that it isn't that the f'n phone shows fewer bars than you actually should. I wish eveyone would drop that concept. Actualyl not having a connection or one with little to no data throughput is the issue... If the bars were one to none and data actually flowed then who cares. But that's not the case

Exactly! The fact that I can run a speed test on an Evo and a NS4G in the same location and get half the speed on the NS shows that it has nothing to do with the number of bars. This is a REAL problem. Moreover, the problem is not relegated to people "out in the boonies". I live in a major urban area and I have terrible throughput.

I really wish there was a perfect solution out there on one of the carriers. Between features, network locked vs. unlocked bootloader, battery life . . . it seems there is no perfect phone. I guess I just wish the Nexus S would come on Verizon with LTE. That would probably be the best solution for me.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! The fact that I can run a speed test on an Evo and a NS4G in the same location and get half the speed on the NS shows that it has nothing to do with the number of bars. This is a REAL problem. Moreover, the problem is not relegated to people "out in the boonies". I live in a major urban area and I have terrible throughput.

I really wish there was a perfect solution out there on one of the carriers. Between features, network locked vs. unlocked bootloader, battery life . . . it seems there is no perfect phone. I guess I just wish the Nexus S would come on Verizon with LTE. That would probably be the best solution for me.

So what? Its a stupid speed test. Does your NS lag alot compared to your Evo, probably not. If it does, stop crying and get rid of your NS. Then when a fix comes along you can get another one. Simple.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm just gonna say that I have no problems with data speed. Everything works great. These people with issues probably don't understand what they're talking about.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com

being one who works in tech, you guys might have a legit problem, but far too many people "jump on the bandwagon" thinking they have the same problem, when in fact, they don't. We don't know the real numbers, so it's hard to really say what percentage of users are seeing this. We have to rely on Google/Samsung/Sprint not to screw us over. Yeah, sucks doesn't it?

Unless we can get everyone to conform to a single standard testing method, and a single site to collect all the data... we're sorta at the mercy of the companies.

My brother has had his nexus s for a week or so w/o any real issues with connectivity, but we're in a 4G spotty area, so that's always off. Don't really have another android device to test though, we both were/are Pre users.

WestCoastGhost

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
being one who works in tech, you guys might have a legit problem, but far too many people "jump on the bandwagon" thinking they have the same problem, when in fact, they don't. We don't know the real numbers, so it's hard to really say what percentage of users are seeing this. We have to rely on Google/Samsung/Sprint not to screw us over. Yeah, sucks doesn't it?

Unless we can get everyone to conform to a single standard testing method, and a single site to collect all the data... we're sorta at the mercy of the companies.

My brother has had his nexus s for a week or so w/o any real issues with connectivity, but we're in a 4G spotty area, so that's always off. Don't really have another android device to test though, we both were/are Pre users.

Just picked up a new Nexus s 4G in Phoenix last week. 3G signal is excellent but data speed, especially during business hours is poor. Haven't been on Wi-Fi yet. 4G service is spotty in Phoenix and I live too far from a 4G spot to make the drive worthwhile. So at least with respect to 3G signal, the radio seems to be working OK.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
What hurts me more than the horribly unreliable data is that the I get worse signal in places that Moment got a fine signal so I can't even make a call or the call drops.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
No sense crying about it on here

This is a complaint thread isn't it?

The phone should work as well or BETTER than other devices like the Evo which was released over a year ago in terms of reception. Clearly it does not. Some people like that other guy are trying to wait it out and see if it gets fixed sooner than later.

Telling people not to talk about the problem is just plain stupid!!! People need to talk about these issues in as many places as possible that way they are more likely to get the attention they deserve. This will actually help everyone....even you.