EVO users that switched to Nexus 4G

anon(163908)

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Nexus S Monday and so far I like it a lot. I left the EVO but it was only after weeks of back and forth trips to best buy. After hearing all of the bad things about the nexus I decided to give it a try. After two days i'm really starting to love this phone. I have not had any of the issue reported in some of the forums. Yes, the 3G and WiFi signals do seem to be weaker than on the EVO but I have not had any dropped calls or wifi connection problems. I think the confusion is that the EVO and other phones has six bars and the Nexus has 4 bars. Naturally, the scale it uses to calculate the signal is going to appear be weaker.

Here is my review so far. The Nexus is a sexier phone on the outside and it feels really good in my hands. It seems faster because it does not have all of the bloat from Sprint. It does not have an external SD card but is has an extra 16GB of storage internal. There is no flashing indicator lights even though they appear to be installed on the device but not activated. Hopefully a software update in the future will turn these on. The biggest problem that I have is the AMOLED screen which is not as clear and crisp as the EVO even though every body raves about the Samsung AMOLED i'm not impressed with it. Other than that I love this phone.

Please let me here from other users that switched from the EVO and tell me how your compare it to the Nexus.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
There is no flashing indicator lights even though they appear to be installed on the device but not activated. Hopefully a software update in the future will turn these on.

They call me K.P. the dream crusher and I've come to do my job! (J/K)!!!!! You're either confusing the light sensor, the proximity sensor, or the FFC, all of which are on the front of the phone, as an LED indicator. Bottom line is, no matter how much software gets pushed, theres no LED to activate. Sorry.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an evo but i have spent enough time with one esp ones that are rooted and running cm7. Don't be fooled by the specs even though they are identical. The Nexus S is a much faster phone no matter what you do to the evo. The hummingbird is far superior to the snapdragon. The evo can't even run live wallpaper and scroll smoothly even over clocked to 1.2 ghz and running cm7 with sense ui being completely gone. A nexus S or any other galaxy S variant to run that no problem with no studder. Nexus S or any other galaxy S has the best gpu on any single core phone bar non. I'm not running a nexus but i'm running a galaxy S with voodoo lag fix which turns samsungs filing system to what the nexus S runs and my friend with the evo is doing everything he can to match my phones speed and smoothness. ( He can't, his hardware is too weak )

I think you might have a defective screen on your nexus S or your brightness is not turned up to max. Its kinda pointless to turn the brightness all the way up with the evo because the blacks starts looking washed out and gray while the S Amoled screen the blacks are so black that you can't tell where the borders of the screens are even on max brightness. The colors just pop out.

The camera is far superior on the nexus S also even though it has a higher mega pixel count on the evo. The only thing that the Evo has is the built in fm radio tuner, and the gps locks in faster. Everything else is a step or 2 down.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
After about a week, go back to the EVO and tell me if the evo's screen is better. There isn't a phone available on any carrier that I would choose over my Nexus S. I almost made the mistake of taking my Nexus S back for the EVO. Glad I changed my mind.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
They call me K.P. the dream crusher and I've come to do my job! (J/K)!!!!! You're either confusing the light sensor, the proximity sensor, or the FFC, all of which are on the front of the phone, as an LED indicator. Bottom line is, no matter how much software gets pushed, theres no LED to activate. Sorry.

Lol software update might fix this lol nope sorry

Sent from my Sexy Nexus 4G

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter to me about the LED flashing thing. iirc, there's a ROM for it. I got my new Nexus S purchased off contract. I just gotta activate it and dump m Evo.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't matter to me about the LED flashing thing. iirc, there's a ROM for it. I got my new Nexus S purchased off contract. I just gotta activate it and dump m Evo.

There's no ROM that can fix a lack of hardware. The best thing you can hope for is noled (free in the market) in combination with BLN control which requires a custom recovery to flash a compatible kernel. Still with both of those, they aren't a substitute for an LED, just the best option we have.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
...so was Google drunk or something when they made the phone and didn't include it? Or were they savng hardware specs?

Lol well technically Samsung made the phone, google only approved it to be a developer flagship device. That said, there's no excuse for El Goog, sprint, or Samsung for releasing a device post 2009 without a notification LED. Had this hit my hand in development phase I would have been squawking about the LED (or lack of).

With that said, I bought the phone knowing it didn't have an LED indicator. I kept it 30 days. So if I had to blame anyone for it I'd blame myself because I chose to keep the device despite this flaw.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Android phones that have LEDs are pretty hit-and-miss functionality-wise anyway. Hopefully when the next Nexus is released, it will have an LED and full support from Google to make it work.

anon(163908)

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up. I actually thought they installed them but did not activate them.I did not think of the options that you mentioned.

anon(163908)

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an evo but i have spent enough time with one esp ones that are rooted and running cm7. Don't be fooled by the specs even though they are identical. The Nexus S is a much faster phone no matter what you do to the evo. The hummingbird is far superior to the snapdragon. The evo can't even run live wallpaper and scroll smoothly even over clocked to 1.2 ghz and running cm7 with sense ui being completely gone. A nexus S or any other galaxy S variant to run that no problem with no studder. Nexus S or any other galaxy S has the best gpu on any single core phone bar non. I'm not running a nexus but i'm running a galaxy S with voodoo lag fix which turns samsungs filing system to what the nexus S runs and my friend with the evo is doing everything he can to match my phones speed and smoothness. ( He can't, his hardware is too weak )

I think you might have a defective screen on your nexus S or your brightness is not turned up to max. Its kinda pointless to turn the brightness all the way up with the evo because the blacks starts looking washed out and gray while the S Amoled screen the blacks are so black that you can't tell where the borders of the screens are even on max brightness. The colors just pop out.

The camera is far superior on the nexus S also even though it has a higher mega pixel count on the evo. The only thing that the Evo has is the built in fm radio tuner, and the gps locks in faster. Everything else is a step or 2 down.
Thanks for your comment!!

anon(163908)

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
After about a week, go back to the EVO and tell me if the evo's screen is better. There isn't a phone available on any carrier that I would choose over my Nexus S. I almost made the mistake of taking my Nexus S back for the EVO. Glad I changed my mind.
I will try that. I actually have not turned on my EVO since i got the Nexus. Maybe I will see the difference.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I came from an evo and never looked back. If Sprint had released the nexus one I would have gotten it instead of an evo in the first place.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Lol well technically Samsung made the phone, google only approved it to be a developer flagship device. That said, there's no excuse for El Goog, sprint, or Samsung for releasing a device post 2009 without a notification LED. Had this hit my hand in development phase I would have been squawking about the LED (or lack of).

With that said, I bought the phone knowing it didn't have an LED indicator. I kept it 30 days. So if I had to blame anyone for it I'd blame myself because I chose to keep the device despite this flaw.

I keep thinking Google was in on it as well lol. But it's not too big of a dealbreaker for me considering I can just as easily go to my laptop and check my email(without a notification).

The fact A. the screen looks better B. it's fast C. updates directly from Google and D. They actually have a case in the color I want for it is what kept me with it.

I came from an evo and never looked back. If Sprint had released the nexus one I would have gotten it instead of an evo in the first place.

Ditto. I just powered on my Nexus, haven't activated it yet though. It's already looking to be better than the Evo and it is FAST. It feels so good to have vanilla without all the toppings and flavoring.

herbthehammer

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Even though I have newer phones, I was using the evo when I decided to get this phone. My evo, a refurbished, started developing a brighter white patch on white screens that was annoying me. I traded in the htc for the ns4g so they'd take 150 off the full price.

I was kinda meh in the beginning with the performance of internet speeds. The longer I kept this one, the more it grew on me. One of the things that is a reason why I didn't return it was I'd be getting updates and bug fixes much sooner than the other phones (or so they say). Does the phone piss me off sometimes? Yes. Do I regret or hate it? No. This phone isn't for everyone. Those of you who like the vanilla experience will probably like the phone.

Label facing right

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I bought the NS4G on launch day and gave my Evo to my girlfriend to replace her Intercept (you want to talk about glitchey?). I've rooted the NS4G and then unrooted it when I realised that when I rooted my Evo it was to remove Sense and not for wifi tether or anything else. Now if Google/Sprint/Samsung could just get an update together to fix the radio issues I wouldn't have one complaint.