what's up with the screen?

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that when I view photos or watch a movie thats on youtube or netflix, i see that the blacks aren't that black and I see a lot of pixelation. It seems to happen when there is a lot of contrast on the blacks where it merges the grey with the black, you can see blocks of pixels all over the place.

Is this just my phone or everyone else has this issue? Is this a problem with Amoled?

Thanks,
Tom

JarffVC

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have had that problem when using 3g and usually it has resolves itself eventually. I get good picture fidelity with Wifi and 4g right off the bat.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. This doesn't seem to be 3G related. It affects any visual that has variations on black contrast. It's as if the super AMOLED can't handle like a light black. It can only do either super deep blacks or grey. But anything in-between and it can't handle it. Makes the photo look like crap.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that when I view photos or watch a movie thats on youtube or netflix, i see that the blacks aren't that black and I see a lot of pixelation. It seems to happen when there is a lot of contrast on the blacks where it merges the grey with the black, you can see blocks of pixels all over the place.

Is this just my phone or everyone else has this issue? Is this a problem with Amoled?

Thanks,
Tom

It has nothing to do with the screen, it has to do with the quality of the stream you're getting. They can't stream super good quality stuff so they have to lower the quality of whatever is getting streamed so that's what causes it. Low bitrate streaming material is what causes it. You can see the difference it if you have something high quality stored locally on your phone and watch it.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I only used netflix as an example. But it not because of a stream. If I store PICTURES on my device. On dark areas you will see this grey blocks around the black area. I can even see It when i use the live wallpaper microprobes.

THis has nothing to do with bitrates.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I went to best buy and compared other nexus S phones. Seems this phone had a defect. When I change phones, the colors were completely different and I rarely or never saw that pixel issue. Also during the status bar swipe down, I can see vertical streaks on the lower half of the phone. So those are now gone as well. I only have 6 days to try out this phone. Such a tough call.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463