Poor Man's Twiter Plug-in (al la webOS)

leescharf

May 11, 2011
Visit site
For those of us coming from the very lacking App catalog courtesy of webOS... we depended on the Homebrew community to pump out some great tweaks.

One of those was the "poor man's twitter" that would give you Twitter functionality right there within the native messaging app. (@ replies, re-tweets, mentions, etc.)

Does anyone know of anything like that for Android?

Cheers,
Lee

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't twitter support SMS for all of that anyway?
The twitter app works pretty good IMO. Not sure why you wouldn't just want to useit or one of the other options. They are plentiful.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

leescharf

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't twitter support SMS for all of that anyway?
The twitter app works pretty good IMO. Not sure why you wouldn't just want to useit or one of the other options. They are plentiful.

You've obviously never used webOS...

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I did! All 6 apps were awesome! ;)

Seriously though, the response was your best bet. Plenty of great apps (plenty of cruddy ones too).

And of course, you can tell Twitter itself to send tweets from your selected followings to you by text message and then just use the app or the browser to shoot out your own tweets.

I pretty much hate Twitter though, so I'll step back and see if any big twitter fans have something more to your liking.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
You've obviously never used webOS...
Incorrect. But I've been using android for awhile and was giving you the best options available. Tweetcaster pro is a very good twitter app with two Widgets to choose. Unfortunately android is just never going to do certain things that webos does. Setting up twitter to work via texts is easy though if you really don't want to click a widget or open an app.

leescharf

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok folks... seriously. If you've never used the "Poor man's Twitter" patch on WebOS, please do not waste your time responding.

If you are a developer (or know one) I would even be willing to make a nice "donation" for someone to code the native Android messaging app with the PMT functionality which is simply listing advanced Twitter-related options when long-pressing a text message (only ones that come from "40404") in the native messaging app.

Thank you.

jsgraphicart

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok folks... seriously. If you've never used the "Poor man's Twitter" patch on WebOS, please do not waste your time responding.

If you are a developer (or know one) I would even be willing to make a nice "donation" for someone to code the native Android messaging app with the PMT functionality which is simply listing advanced Twitter-related options when long-pressing a text message (only ones that come from "40404") in the native messaging app.

Thank you.

Coming from webOS, I just dont think its as easy to patch the native android apps like it is for webOS, which is why android has so many "replacement" apps. I think your best option is to try and get one of the developers of one of those replacement sms apps to integrate twitter into it.

belvedere

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I miss the "poor man's twitter client" as well. I think the best bet for a mod to ever be implemented will be with a MIUI ROM. maybe someone will surprise us.... after all, ICS has a lot of webOS-like features ;)

cjstealth

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunatley I don't think you can "patch" anything with Andriod. It's not as simple as WebOS is. With WebOS, if you wanted a simple tweak to the messaging app, you just download and install the patch (on a rooted phone). With Android it seems you need to find a ROM that has the features you want and flash your phone's hard drive (wiping all data and apps). It's the one thing that keeps me from rooting/tweaking my Nexus. It's like you have to build an entirely new house just because you wanted to remodel the bathroom. So, in short, just use the Twitter app in the Android Market. It's free and simple to use. BTW I am a fan of WebOS, so I understand your fustration.

Reactions: wpbfjr

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1