If you are going to have the Nexus S 4G for the next 2 years, are okay without having a dual-core processer for the next versions of android? Google wouldn't make a phone their software couldn't handle right? Also, if you have had your phone for 3 weeks or more, how is it preforming after a while? Also, would you rather have Sense 3.0, or do you like stock? (I'm trying to decide between the Evo 3D and this)
    06-22-2011 01:05 AM
    I'm in the same boat. Also waiting to see what the price for the NS4G does after the 3D comes out
    06-22-2011 01:27 AM
    I've had it sense the weekend it launched on Sprint and I still love it. It feels great, still performs without a hitch, etc etc. I definitely prefer stock to Sense. I switched here from the Hero. I realize Sense 3.0 looks kinda badass, but with the Nexus, I'm comfortable in knowing that it won't be out of date on software for a LONG time, considering Nexus 1 has gingerbread. I don't have to worry about Sprint Bloatware either! Also, the thing about dual-cores is they won't do a thing with the phone but take up battery. Anything I'm going to do on a smartphone can be done with the lonesome core I have. There's nothing, I feel, extensive enough to require the dual-core. I feel like they're just using it to make people feel like they need the fastest when really it won't speed it up that much. So yes, I'm still completely comfortable with my Nexus. Hope that helps.
    06-22-2011 01:44 AM
    I'm in the same boat. Also waiting to see what the price for the NS4G does after the 3D comes out
    It will probably drop to 149$. my cousin works for sprint. he said so
    06-22-2011 01:44 AM
    FYI - The price has dropped, $149

And I love my phone. I hate Sprint bloatware, came from rooted and rommed Epic and this phone
    performs SO much better without any customization.

I unlocked and am not even changing anything from stock. I actually "upgraded" a kernel after rooting, it was worse on battery and performance than stock, so reverted.

My battery life is the best I have ever had. I go to lake house at the edge of service. Used to charge midafternoon, now can make it thru one whole day. This will on roam, 1x service. At home, uses 1% of battery per hour when not in use, not on wifi, just on.

The size is perfect, the screen is great, you can add what you want. Again, fastest peformance I've had. I am always one to change and get the best, I have decided I have it and will stick with this phone.
    Don't need bigger, don't need dual processor. And don't need Sprint updates that mess up phone.
    06-22-2011 07:35 AM
    I have had mine for a few weeks and I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market right now. This phone is fast. Without the UI skins, it has nothing slowing it down. Everything runs smoothly I love not having any bloatware. It creates a kit more space in the phone. The size, screen, feel are perfect. I'm excited about the NFC chip and possibly using it in the near future. I loved this phone when I first bought it, but love it even more now.
    06-22-2011 09:32 AM
    I have had mine for a few weeks and I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market right now. This phone is fast. Without the UI skins, it has nothing slowing it down. Everything runs smoothly I love not having any bloatware. It creates a kit more space in the phone. The size, screen, feel are perfect. I'm excited about the NFC chip and possibly using it in the near future. I loved this phone when I first bought it, but love it even more now.
    I feel the same. Can't wait to see more support for NFC, if it indeed takes off.

A couple weeks after I got it, I rooted it and pushed netarchy's kernel to it. Since then, I have made the move over to OpenSoju and have been loving the experience. I was definitely contemplating getting the Evo3D but I've been enjoying the Nexus S 4G far too much to make the switch now. Whether or not it'll actually last me the 2 years before my next upgrade is another story and I wouldn't mind upgrading off contract if something worthwhile comes out. Although, I'm thinking it will definitely have to be a stock Android experience phone since I'm thoroughly enjoying it thus far without all the extras that I can add myself (ala Beautiful Widgets, LauncherPro, various themes etc..).

Coming from the Samsung Instinct that I had for roughly 3 years, it has been one helluva upgrade.
    06-22-2011 10:15 AM
    I've owned the T-Mobile G2, Droid X and now the NS4G and while I love the NS4G reception issues might force me to return it and go Verizon before the 30 days is up. I live in a "Best" voice reception area but never have above 3 bars. When I go back to school in Maine I'm afraid the reception will take a nose dive.

Other than that I would completely happy with this device!
    06-22-2011 10:20 AM
    I love the NS4G. I came from an OG Pre and was forced to get the Nexus as my Pre was near death. It took a while to get used to Android in general and I wasn't happy with the stock mail and messaging apps but with the market I was able to find better alternatives. I live in Chicago so the reception is great, I may not have full bars all the time but I never have any issue browsing the internet or making or receiving calls.. In fact I'd say this phone is probably the best I've ever had in reception and clarity during calls. Also the phone is sick fast, so I'd say I'm 100% happy with the phone and the vanilla android experience. The size, form factor and screen are money. Also I've been impressed by the battery life on this phone, lasts way longer than my Pre ever did. with moderate usage I can go 24 hours and still be at 30% or so when i put it back on the charger. Another thing the camera is awesome also.
    06-22-2011 10:50 AM
    The NS4G is a great phone, it feels great in the hand, runs very fast and the display is gorgeous. I cam from the Evo and this runs laps around it.

That being said I'll probably go up to the Galaxy S2 as soon as it's available on a 4G network - that being said if there's rumors of a Nexus S2 based on the Galaxy S2 I may hold out for that. The overall android experience on the Nexus platform is worthwhile.

It's a curious time to get a new phone though, especially a Nexus device being on the brink of the dual core evolution. I would say, if you can swing getting it off contract it may be better but if you hold it and fall in love with it you'll probably be content for about a year.

For the record I got mine off contract and traded in my Evo, so in essence I paid around $250 for an off contract upgrade and I'm very happy overall.
    06-22-2011 11:39 AM
    Never, best $340 i've spent. Nexus S is waaay faster than my Evo. Faster than the T-Bolt. Pure Android and free tethering. I'm in love with my phone.
    06-22-2011 12:41 PM
    I love the NS4G. I came from an OG Pre and was forced to get the Nexus as my Pre was near death. It took a while to get used to Android in general and I wasn't happy with the stock mail and messaging apps but with the market I was able to find better alternatives. I live in Chicago so the reception is great, I may not have full bars all the time but I never have any issue browsing the internet or making or receiving calls.. In fact I'd say this phone is probably the best I've ever had in reception and clarity during calls. Also the phone is sick fast, so I'd say I'm 100% happy with the phone and the vanilla android experience. The size, form factor and screen are money. Also I've been impressed by the battery life on this phone, lasts way longer than my Pre ever did. with moderate usage I can go 24 hours and still be at 30% or so when i put it back on the charger. Another thing the camera is awesome also.
    dbo and nmoreman.

Any helpful tips on battery life? Did you "train" it? Using JD or something else?

Mine hasn't been great, I can't make it through a day and while I just got it a week ago, I'm using this week as a baseline to test life and then will try the various battery tricks later Any suggestions you have would be great.
    06-22-2011 12:44 PM
    Never, best $340 i've spent. Nexus S is waaay faster than my Evo. Faster than the T-Bolt. Pure Android and free tethering. I'm in love with my phone.
    Forgot to mention the free tethering. That is definitely a plus.
    06-22-2011 12:50 PM
    Any android phone can do free tethering though

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    06-22-2011 01:31 PM

Not straight outta the box they can't!!
    Linkchomp likes this.
    06-22-2011 02:27 PM
    I'm coming from a Samsung Moment so this was a huge upgrade for me. I definitely won't be keeping this phone for two years as I never keep any phone for two years even if I have to pay full price for it but I definitely love this phone and will never get anything other than a Nexus phone again.
    06-22-2011 04:32 PM
    The NS4G is a great phone, it feels great in the hand, runs very fast and the display is gorgeous. I cam from the Evo and this runs laps around it.

That being said I'll probably go up to the Galaxy S2 as soon as it's available on a 4G network - that being said if there's rumors of a Nexus S2 based on the Galaxy S2 I may hold out for that. The overall android experience on the Nexus platform is worthwhile.

It's a curious time to get a new phone though, especially a Nexus device being on the brink of the dual core evolution. I would say, if you can swing getting it off contract it may be better but if you hold it and fall in love with it you'll probably be content for about a year.

For the record I got mine off contract and traded in my Evo, so in essence I paid around $250 for an off contract upgrade and I'm very happy overall.
    I back all this up!

Coming from an Evo to me its an upgrade, to some it might be a downgrade, it all depepnds. I am interested in dual anything right now, the way I see it yes its faster, but nothing mind blowing,, heck these single core phones are fast to me as they are.

The phone does feel very good in the hand, espcially compared to the Evo, it just feels right. Now i have to be honest, if the radio issue doesnt get fixed here in the next weeks, wi will be highly dissapointed with Google because this phone is awesome!

The battery for me is WAY better than the Evo, and I cant say I dont love the screen. What really grabs my attention about this device and i forget about everything else..is the call quality, and the camera- hands down the best on ANY Android phone in the U.S.
    06-22-2011 04:56 PM
    Forgot to mention the free tethering. That is definitely a plus.
    And this will go well with my 3DS since I can now just use my Nexus S tethering to get onto the eShop. Ah I love tech

But not out of the box
    06-22-2011 05:31 PM
    I purchased an NSG4 the day it came out for my wife.
    After playing with it a bit, I put me beloved EVO down and got one for me too
    Stock over sense is the way to go- less issues, more room and a better future

FYI- the EVO was upgraded to GB- and it is not like GB on the Nexus- no Google Talk and a ton of new issues.

This phone is super fast. What is the good of a dual core phone if it is always on a charger and waits 6 months for half baked updates?
    06-23-2011 06:36 AM
    Ditto. It's embarassing that I have to charge my Evo like three times everyday. And the GB update was so poorly done that it'd been better just to have Froyo. And it's still slow compared to the Nexus S.

And not only that, but I am missing a few things from Google Talk on the Evo that's evident on my Nexus. And FREE tethering WITHOUT hacking or going through loops.

:P Plus it'll be nice getting ice cream sandwich first hand.
    06-23-2011 07:40 AM
    just traded my evo 4g for the nexus s last night. my friends' at the sprint store let me play with the 3d and it just wasn't the device for me.

the nexus feels smooth and nice in the hand, there wasn't a single way i could hold the 3d with either touching the camera cover, the 2d/3d button, or covering the charging port. not to mention the 3d looks like a cheaper holographic baseball card that should come with a stick of stale gum.
    06-23-2011 08:25 AM
    dbo and nmoreman.

Any helpful tips on battery life? Did you "train" it? Using JD or something else?

Mine hasn't been great, I can't make it through a day and while I just got it a week ago, I'm using this week as a baseline to test life and then will try the various battery tricks later Any suggestions you have would be great.
    Esoh,

I have definitely let it drain down to power off a few times after a full charge instead of charging at the same time daily regardless of % left. But I guess I don't really know if that would be called training my battery. I have touchdown push running constantly (as emails arrive) but have my yahoo and gmail set to poll every hour. I generally keep 4G off cause I don't need it, and since I'm at work most of the day I generally don't have wireless on either. I wouldn't call myself a power user though as I'm not streaming pandora or listening to music - I generally check the web a number of times a day and play some games on the way to and from work on the train. I make a few calls and text throughout the day.. I turned my brightness down on the screen and am not running a live wallpaper but I do have multiple widgets running.. Sorry Not sure if that's helpful or not. I will say though my phone is never searching for signal as I'm in a major city so there is no drain from that activity.
    06-23-2011 10:34 AM
    just traded my evo 4g for the nexus s last night. my friends' at the sprint store let me play with the 3d and it just wasn't the device for me.

the nexus feels smooth and nice in the hand, there wasn't a single way i could hold the 3d with either touching the camera cover, the 2d/3d button, or covering the charging port. not to mention the 3d looks like a cheaper holographic baseball card that should come with a stick of stale gum.
    Yeah, I'm not really impressed with the 3D feature but the rest of the EVO 3D seems to be awesome. But compared to the Nexus S, I think the EVO 3D comes up a little short. I lovee my Nexus S and wouldn't trade it for anything on the market right now.
    06-23-2011 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD