A bug with Goggle Nav?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't use phone GPS Nav often but today I needed to. The phone was connected to my car's BT for calls and the phone was on Google Nav with voice prompts on, nav actually worked well.

I got a phone call, it played through the car's BT as usual but then the nav voice prompts continued to come through notably mutting the call volume. I'm almost sure the Nav voice prompts played through the normal phone speaker but they sounded as if playing through the car's BT.

Anyone else has noticed this behavior. Is this a known bug in Google Nav?

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
What you're talking about is called A2DP. It's the technology that sends music wirelessly and certain other sounds. You can turn it off the sounds by pressing mute.

khamvongsa09

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is intended to work like this as "dwaynewilliams" said. I know this because when I listen to music while navigating, it does the exact same thing that you described. You can always just mute the navigation while your on the phone call. You do this by touching the capacitive "Menu" button on the bottom of the phone while in Google Navigation then selecting the "Mute" option which will mute the navigation voice but not mute the whole phone.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that this is a bug. I believe this is how it is intended to work.

Yes it is intended to work like this as "dwaynewilliams" said. I know this because when I listen to music while navigating, it does the exact same thing that you described. You can always just mute the navigation while your on the phone call. You do this by touching the capacitive "Menu" button on the bottom of the phone while in Google Navigation then selecting the "Mute" option which will mute the navigation voice but not mute the whole phone.

I understand I can mute the Nav app, but if I do, then what is the point of having voice guidance if it continues to play during an active call instead of automatically muting/unmuting like the player app does.

And trying to mute/unmute the Nav app manually while driving for individual calls can be unsafe to say the least. Guess will make a suggestion directly on the Google Forum to have this behavior corrected.

m3grady2

May 8, 2011
Visit site
My navigation mutes when I have a phone call. Being on sprint the it can't do voice and data at the same time anyway. Are you on wifi or connected to 4g?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
My navigation mutes when I have a phone call. Being on sprint the it can't do voice and data at the same time anyway. Are you on wifi or connected to 4g?

No I am on 3g, but remember that Google maps now do advance caching so it can continue navigation even when the data signal is down - like during a call.

The previous times I have used Nav on my EVO, a phone call muted the Nav app on the handset. This is the first time I have use Nav while connected to my car's BT handsfree system and this is when it happened.

My question is for people that use Nav on a regular basis, is this the normal behavior you get while using Google Nav or this is something that is happening on the Nexus?

gijoecam

May 11, 2011
Visit site
It would appear to me that it's normal for this phone, but not normal for other app/phone combinations.

It'll do the same thing even if connected to a headset or listening to the phone's speaker as well. Neither the phone call nor the Google Nav app overrides the other in terms of priority like a phone call does to the Music Player app.

Incidentally the Music Player app and Google Nav do the same thing together. (i.e. both continue playing). The music player doesn't pause for Google Nav, it just gets washed out by the nav's voice.

Definitely merits a suggestion to the Maps developers... It would be nice if the nav prompt could pause the music playback, and if a phone call would mute the nav prompts.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Incidentally the Music Player app and Google Nav do the same thing together. (i.e. both continue playing). The music player doesn't pause for Google Nav, it just gets washed out by the nav's voice.

That is exactly what happened to my phone call, the audio from the other party was "washed out" by Google Map's voice prompts. I could still barely hear the other person, the call volume was actually lowered during the Nav voice prompt.

Definitely merits a suggestion to the Maps developers... It would be nice if the nav prompt could pause the music playback, and if a phone call would mute the nav prompts.

That is what I did yesterday, you can post here to see if we can get Google's attention.