Is it Sprint or the Nexus at this point?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So my phone has always performed up the par with the way my Epic did handling 3g. 4g was a little weaker as was wifi. And wifi I can't get to stay connected in some locations.

Last night i had 0-1 bars 1x data. Not untypical for being at home as service is terrible directly over my house. As soon as I walk outside and towards my neighbors house I get 2-3 bars. However, data stopped working shortly after that. I tried everything. Even my voice was gone. Air plan toggle, Battery pull. Everything except a restore.

This morning voice was working but not data. It said I had 2 bars 3g but nothing. Even on the way to work i had full bars of 3g and no data was working. I did a quick battery pull some exits down and finally got service on exit 53 on the expressway coming from 61.

I can't Imagine that long data was out... but i guess it's possible... When I had ATT I went through 2 towns before getting 3g back.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Similar. Coverage in part of my area isn't good, same with Verizon since I roam off its signal.

But my Nexus will completely drop my signal cellular and data and I usually have to restart to get it back up. I love this phone, but that's the only fatal flaw and I can't really stand going back to my Evo.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Since I got the phone on Launch this is the first time I've had this problem. I don't except much as Verizon doesn't get service in my home either. But outside I usually get something. 2 bars and not even voice... weird...

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Very similar experience for me about two weeks ago when we lost all signal (voice/data) for about 30 minutes and all data (1x/3G) for the better part of the day. Talked to Sprint then and they confirmed problems in my area and repairs being done. Later on the day, the data service slowly came back.

Before talking to Sprint I thought it was the Nexus so I reactivated my trusty Evo but had exactly the same issue. My signal now is back to "baseline" strength but the network location is off at times by over 30 miles. Suspect some area wide maintenance is taking place, don't think the problem is phone related.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Could it be the network, possibly Verizon's, then that causes my Nexus to completely drop connection both data(1x/3G) and voice?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I am having similar issues, and Sprint has confirmed that my area is experiencing "outage" issues. I can confirm this because in Indianapolis and Plainfield Indiana(where I work) 3G is just fine.

I commute everyday, so my home is in Marion Indiana, and I can have full bars of 3G and it will just crawl or not work at all. I'm really taking a look at T-Mobile now since it would only be like $140 to cancel (which it shouldn't if I am having signal issues). Their plans are cheaper (hate the data cap though) and they also have the Nexus S (I can only go with a Nexus device ever since the Nexus S.....nothing else feels right and stock Android can't be touched).

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my daughter an EVO 4G and it already had GB on it. Ran side by side 3G and 4G tests on both phones, and the EVO's speed was double the Nexus. EVO was also faster on WiFi.

So it's the Nexus, not Sprint.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I just bought my daughter an EVO 4G and it already had GB on it. Ran side by side 3G and 4G tests on both phones, and the EVO's speed was double the Nexus. EVO was also faster on WiFi.

So it's the Nexus, not Sprint.

What Speedtest did you use? I remember seeing that some are very inaccurate.

I did a similar test in an actual store yesterday and the Nexus was faster than both the 4G and 3D in the 3G real-world test just loading pages in the browser.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What Speedtest did you use? I remember seeing that some are very inaccurate.

I did a similar test in an actual store yesterday and the Nexus was faster than both the 4G and 3D in the 3G real-world test just loading pages in the browser.

I used the speedtest.net app. No reason to believe that the results aren't accurate in my experience. They produce consistent results when run multple times.

pprichar

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I used the speedtest.net app. No reason to believe that the results aren't accurate in my experience. They produce consistent results when run multple times.
I swapped out my ns4g for the evo3d but I can say the speed test app is off. Using other flash based testers and the extreme labs speed test it gave much higher readings. Still doesn't exscuse the connectivity problems people are having.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance