Nexus S 4G Battery

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday, removed from charger around 8:30am, used all day as usual until around 1am today when I plugged it in for the night. The battery still had 42% left before I went to bed. Enough said... hands down, better battery life than my Evo, Epic or any other Android device in my household.

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the newbie question, but how does the Wifi never sleep policy work. People say that they use it for better batt life but I'm not quite sure what the options are in terms of sleeping and switching over the 3G and screen sleeping, etc.

Thanks.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the newbie question, but how does the Wifi never sleep policy work. People say that they use it for better batt life but I'm not quite sure what the options are in terms of sleeping and switching over the 3G and screen sleeping, etc.

Thanks.
When the screen turns off the phone will switch to the 3G antenna for data. When you turn the screen on, it goes back to using Wi-Fi.

If you make it never sleep, then it will stay with Wi-Fi (as long as you're within range) instead of handing off between Wi-Fi and 3G.

Third option is to never sleep but only when plugged in.

Reactions: esoh

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
When the screen turns off the phone will switch to the 3G antenna for data. When you turn the screen on, it goes back to using Wi-Fi.

If you make it never sleep, then it will stay with Wi-Fi (as long as you're within range) instead of handing off between Wi-Fi and 3G.

Third option is to never sleep but only when plugged in.

I don't understand these options: as we all know wifi gets better battery life than 3g.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
You don't understand how I explained them or dont understand why they're the options?

I really don't know why you'd want to have it sleep when off, especially since there's no visual message indicator on these phones...constantly clicking the screen on and off.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You don't understand how I explained them or dont understand why they're the options?

I really don't know why you'd want to have it sleep when off, especially since there's no visual message indicator on these phones...constantly clicking the screen on and off.

Why they have the options. Wifi sleep is pointless IMHO.

Reactions: esoh

sedracer

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
What are the settings you have to get that battery life?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Stock GRJ22/rooted with the stock kernel. Auto brightness, wifi is always on. Averaged 30+ hours easy.

Flashed netarchy 1.3.4 stable cfs last night because i wanted BLN and i played with Voodoo color settings and i'm on pace for about 25 hours today so i'll probably be going back to stock kernel.

I tried netarchy 1.3.4 bfs and had issues with the sd card not being mounted. I might try a matrix kernel tonight and tomorrow to see what i get with a bfs kernel. Ideally i'd like a stock kernel with BLN support and maybe Voodoo, thinking if i want that i'm going to have to compile it myself.

tsrich

May 6, 2011
Visit site
i did 40 hours yesterday and am on track to hit that again today.

set WiFi to never sleep, turned off widow animations and left the Facebook app installed but everything is turned off. Those three things seemed to bump me way way up. A little bit of the new toy playing has died down, but I've still be on the thing a lot because of all the Google + stuff going on.

Where do you live that you have 40 hours in a day? :D

ck2

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My battery barely lasts for 4 hours...and that is having everything on low use. Every time I turn the screen on, it goes down a percentage. I have 3 batteries I carry around with me. It is pathetic. My display runs around between 75-83%

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
My battery barely lasts for 4 hours...and that is having everything on low use. Every time I turn the screen on, it goes down a percentage. I have 3 batteries I carry around with me. It is pathetic. My display runs around between 75-83%
That's just not right. Are you in a really bad coverage area?

Anymore insight as to what you have running?

beedip

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have had my NS4G since launch day and I have been able to keep a consistent 12 hour charge throughout my day. I text a lot through the day, and keep my screen on max brightness too, so I could get even better battery life if I choose to make some sacrifices . I did install and currently use Juice Defender so I'm sure that will account for a lot of my charge, but overall I am really happy with the battery life. Try turning off your GPS settings when your not using a map application, I have a friend of mine who keeps his on with the same battery saving app, and it does make a significant difference.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Something is terribly wrong there. You should really get that checked out.

adge4u

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Can pull 14-20 hours out of my battery with minimal use. Hit the web and some games at night and a few texts and email during the day

ShadowKing

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
snap20110715_033452.png

as you can see, a good 9 hours worth of battery. auto sync with G+, Gmail set to push, Google Music, and games.

as you can see, i did plug it in for a while, but i then decided to see how far i could go with it.

and after it hit %20 i tried my hardest to drain the battery. Full brightness, everything sync, GPS on, & watching a 30 minute youtube video. it still had 5% left so i just tried to kill it in everyway possible. great battery life in this phone.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong because the rest of you are getting exceptional battery life. I do keep gps ans wifi on all day. I also have the brightness set to auto. I email, text, stream music and video, and make calls and I generally get about 12-13 hours a day and I believe that is really good. I haven't gotten anything near that with any other device outside of my old BlackBerry Bold 9700. On the other hand, if I have to turn ecerything off to achieve the numbers that some of the others are getting than no thanks.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong because the rest of you are getting exceptional battery life. I do keep gps ans wifi on all day. I also have the brightness set to auto. I email, text, stream music and video, and make calls and I generally get about 12-13 hours a day and I believe that is really good. I haven't gotten anything near that with any other device outside of my old BlackBerry Bold 9700. On the other hand, if I have to turn ecerything off to achieve the numbers that some of the others are getting than no thanks.
@DwayneWilliams Why do you keep GPS on all day? Unless I'm using navigation I don;t see the point as to keeping that on? still 12 to 13 hrs is good.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
@DwayneWilliams Why do you keep GPS on all day? Unless I'm using navigation I don;t see the point as to keeping that on? still 12 to 13 hrs is good.

GPS won't run/use battery unless your in an app that uses it. Unless the GSP indicator in the status bar is there it's not using battery. I leave mine all as well. 8-9 hours in my office with decent service. (Last 3 days I've been getting terrible service here) Outside with excellent service, same usage I hit 12 hours with 60% left.

If your wifi is connected it's using eating battery. A lot. So turn that off. Unless you in a Wifi area and connected. where you'll get better battery life.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am on average pulling anywhere between 10-14 hours of battery a day on my nexus s. NOw this is with light usage during the day, and moderate usage at night.

During the day i might have a few calls and a few texts and check the forums here and facebook.

At night, lots of text's, at least double the phone calls. More forum lurking (lol), facebook, Google+, Google Music, and maybe a game or two to kill time.

The way i got my settings.

Wifi turned off when im not at home, turned on when i am at home.

Background Data is turned on.

Display brightness i have auto turned off and it set at about 35-40%, more then enough for me.

Only to show some of the screen animations.

I have Back up my data and automatic resotre set to on.

GPS turned off.

Vibration for typing on the keyboard turned off.

Everything else is pretty much stock and i get through the day fine for the most part. Some days are worse then others depending on how much i get to play with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair