07-30-2011 09:54 PM
67 123
tools
    Full review w\ pics, or as the kids say, it didn't happen.
    Edit
    - ok that's one. Now I'm android green with envy.

I have a photon 4G in hand and I can say its a great device. I havent played with a SGS2 yet but from what I have read and seen in reviews, its also a great device.

Sent From The 2nd SHOOTER On The Grassy Knoll!
    07-20-2011 07:13 PM
    Why so little availabe memory?

!ess than 3 gigs available out of 16, where did it go?

and here are the internal storage specs of my Photon.
    07-20-2011 07:19 PM
    I have more pics up on my thread. Check my threads.

07-20-2011 07:26 PM
    Why so little availabe memory?

!ess than 3 gigs available out of 16, where did it go?
    Application storage plus internal storage is like 12gb. 4 gigs short of 16. That 4 probably goes to system, blur, sprint ID, and the 50 apps that it comes with from factory, Motorola and bloat.

07-20-2011 07:28 PM
    I guess what I should ask is why so little for app storage?
    I know it' s probably an android "thing" - But, I'm new to android, and need a little "extra help" :-)

....and, how is the speed? Laggy at all? Damm I want to check out this phone! I hate you a little, right now. :-)

Application storage plus internal storage is like 12gb. 4 gigs short of 16. That 4 probably goes to system, blur, sprint ID, and the 50 apps that it comes with from factory, Motorola and bloat.

07-20-2011 07:56 PM
    So far over WiFi the phone seems on par with my 3D before I activated it. I played around with my 3D on WiFi for a whole day before I activated it. So I think its on par with the 3D.

07-20-2011 08:00 PM
    I guess what I should ask is why so little for app storage?
    I know it' s probably an android "thing" - But, I'm new to android, and need a little "extra help" :-)

....and, how is the speed? Laggy at all? Damm I want to check out this phone! I hate you a little, right now. :-)
    It's confusing, but the storage isn't limited to the "free app storage" you see in the screenshot. That's only what's left of the base storage after the OS, skins, and whatever pre-installed apps take their share. On top of that you have both internal storage and a separate SD card. Most apps can now be stored on the SD card (or in internal memory designated as an SD card), leaving very little footprint behind in the base storage.

3gb of base storage for apps is actually greater than average for Android phones. The chances that you'll fill those 3gb with apps even without moving some to the SD card is pretty slim. Remember that most common non-gaming apps are under 10mb.*

*Games are a different matter, in that they can be enormous (>1gb) once they've downloaded all the needed data and files. However, that extra file space will be installed on the SD card (or internal storage) so don't worry about it eating your available base app storage space.
    ToddK likes this.
    07-20-2011 10:14 PM
    I have seen videos of the SGSII of games being played. Nobody knows witch is better unless you play with them both. And please don't give me that benchmark bs because after my EVO 4g got the gingerbread the benchmark test were lower, They are not always accurate. Only the world says its the best Android phone, I am not the world nor is everyone else. We don't need this phone because some says its the best, isn't that why Android started in the 1st place to give everyone choice? 1 last note, last time I checked before the 1st galaxy phones arrived, EVERY SAMSUNG phone on Sprint was complete garbage. Please stop acting like a die hard Apple iPhone user acting like the galaxy s phones are the only phones that matter.
    07-21-2011 09:03 PM
    Wow I posted my message about the guy with the Droid user name. So please guys don't take offense.
    07-21-2011 09:08 PM
    I wouldn't own a samsung phone, they feel cheap and the screens look cartoonified!

SARAH PALIN 2012
    Samsung makes some great phones, and they're great at developing phones that will get very good reviews. However, their phones have extremely annoying quirks when they're 1st released. The GS 1 took forever to get Froyo and the GPS was annoying.... There's also a tendency for apps to be compatible with Galaxy S phones at later dates... Skype worked for Moto and HTC phones that had Android 2.1, but with Galaxy S, it needed android 2.2.... Then you have the keyboard lag, if unrooted..
    Again, Samsung makes great phones, but the quirks that their phones come out with truly make me feel like a beta tester the first 6 months.
    If Moto wasn't coming out with a world phone I'd keep my GS, and just skip over GS2, but Moto provided me with something that I wanted =D
    07-22-2011 01:24 AM
    believe me i know all about feeling like a beta tester after living with a palm pre all this time. the good thing is that this phone has been out in the market for a while now. maybe no the us but still. so im assuming that any issues that arose from the initial launch has been taken care of for the us.
    07-22-2011 10:02 AM
    SARAH PALIN 2012
    Thanks for adding the signature which allows us to consider the source. Somehow I question your judgment.
    07-22-2011 07:59 PM
    I have a photon 4G in hand and I can say its a great device. I havent played with a SGS2 yet but from what I have read and seen in reviews, its also a great device.

How do you like the new blur or are u using LLP?
    07-23-2011 04:32 PM
    I was thinking about getting the Moto Photon. However, I will not buy it because I will not able to root it. I like to root my phones and have fun with them. If I can not root my phone it is a big No for me.
    07-23-2011 05:26 PM
    Thanks for adding the signature which allows us to consider the source. Somehow I question your judgment.
    This post is filled with so much win.
    07-24-2011 07:50 AM
    Well until both are actually on the market, anything that anyone says is based on pure expectations of the device. When both are released, my suggestion would be go into a Sprint store and try both out, or ask again after both are released. We don't know what bugs either phone is going to have yet or how performance is actually going to be on Sprint's network.
    07-24-2011 05:56 PM
    believe me i know all about feeling like a beta tester after living with a palm pre all this time. the good thing is that this phone has been out in the market for a while now. maybe no the us but still. so im assuming that any issues that arose from the initial launch has been taken care of for the us.
    Stayed with the Pre for this long? My hat goes down for you. You'll love the GSII. I went from the Pre(-) to the EPIC 4G and loved it. To this day, i don't regret the upgrade. The CPU power and screen size alone will be enough to make you happy! And the speed of reading e-mails.... WOW. You'll miss the WebOS integration. To this day, I still prefer WebOS e-mail app than the gmail app for Android OS.
    graffix31 likes this.
    07-25-2011 03:25 AM
    Stayed with the Pre for this long? My hat goes down for you. You'll love the GSII. I went from the Pre(-) to the EPIC 4G and loved it. To this day, i don't regret the upgrade. The CPU power and screen size alone will be enough to make you happy! And the speed of reading e-mails.... WOW. You'll miss the WebOS integration. To this day, I still prefer WebOS e-mail app than the gmail app for Android OS.
    I'm still using my release day Pre as well. Since it hit it's 2 year anniversary recently, I'd imagine a lot forum activity lately has been from Pre owners like me ready to upgrade and re-up their 2 yr contracts. When the Galaxy SII hits Sprint stores I'll be walking into one and giving both the GSII and Photon a workout. I'll admit I'm favoring the GSII at this point, but nothing is set in stone. The clear winner won't be known until I've gotten my grubby little hands on them.

I'll also be checking out the Bionic, but it would take A LOT to get me to pay $299 for the device and eat a tiered data plan.
    07-25-2011 12:05 PM
    I'm still using my release day Pre as well. Since it hit it's 2 year anniversary recently, I'd imagine a lot forum activity lately has been from Pre owners like me ready to upgrade and re-up their 2 yr contracts. When the Galaxy SII hits Sprint stores I'll be walking into one and giving both the GSII and Photon a workout. I'll admit I'm favoring the GSII at this point, but nothing is set in stone. The clear winner won't be known until I've gotten my grubby little hands on them.

I'll also be checking out the Bionic, but it would take A LOT to get me to pay $299 for the device and eat a tiered data plan.
    When my two years with the Pre were up, I got a mint condition Optimus S on eBay for $70. Doing so allowed me to become an Android user while waiting for Sprint to release some more phones. It was also a good way for me to learn how to root without worrying about bricking an expensive phone. The Optimus S is a great little phone, so I am comfortable waiting until a new phone comes along that I feel is worth a two year commitment.
    07-26-2011 12:39 PM
    Is the possibility that the GSII/Within will be a 4.5" handset make or break it for any potential Photon buyers? 4.5" seems a touch too big to me but if the phone is as buttery smooth as the European version it may not matter.
    07-27-2011 01:38 PM
    It's basically the same height as the photon. You can see the height and width dimensions in the fcc pics. So even if it is 4.5 it most likely will be more screen less area around it
    07-27-2011 01:45 PM

I'm also using an original Pre. (I waited a week or two to buy.) The phone's lagginess is beginning to get to me, and I'd like access to all that app goodness available for Androids and iPhones.

I mostly use it as a portable email device, and none of the email reviews light my fire, but somehow jumping from one abandoned OS to another (Blackberry) doesn't seem like the thing to do.

I do wonder if the ads, and having a locked-down device, will bug me. But a world phone would be useful. Everyone tells me I should go for a high-end phone, and not something older like the XPRT, although that has a real keyboard.

I may try the Photon while I am away in Germany, and decide if I like it, and who knows, maybe I'll go back to the Pre, or maybe I'll decide I really need a keyboard. I wish Sprint offered a high-end phone with a good keyboard, but I've tried the EVO slider, and its keyboard sucks, and no one uses it. I haven't tried the Epic, but it doesn't seem like its keyboard is used much, either, and that device is getting long in the tooth.

Sigh. If Sprint had picked up the Pre3 (or heck, if Verizon had before instituting tiered data plans) I would have just bougt that, and likely not missed the apps I've never used. But that's not going to happen. So here I am.
    07-28-2011 05:50 AM
    Im not really that impressed with the photon so far, as far as response is concerned.. While it did load applications fast, it simply laged scrolling through the home screens. The nexus, and evo 3d seem to feel smoother. With that said, the moto is a decent phone. It feels solid, and actually looks pretty good in person. Root may be neccessary for some if the bootloader gets unlocked.
    07-28-2011 12:25 PM
    I'm also using an original Pre. (I waited a week or two to buy.) The phone's lagginess is beginning to get to me, and I'd like access to all that app goodness available for Androids and iPhones.

I mostly use it as a portable email device, and none of the email reviews light my fire, but somehow jumping from one abandoned OS to another (Blackberry) doesn't seem like the thing to do.

I do wonder if the ads, and having a locked-down device, will bug me. But a world phone would be useful. Everyone tells me I should go for a high-end phone, and not something older like the XPRT, although that has a real keyboard.

I may try the Photon while I am away in Germany, and decide if I like it, and who knows, maybe I'll go back to the Pre, or maybe I'll decide I really need a keyboard. I wish Sprint offered a high-end phone with a good keyboard, but I've tried the EVO slider, and its keyboard sucks, and no one uses it. I haven't tried the Epic, but it doesn't seem like its keyboard is used much, either, and that device is getting long in the tooth.

Sigh. If Sprint had picked up the Pre3 (or heck, if Verizon had before instituting tiered data plans) I would have just bougt that, and likely not missed the apps I've never used. But that's not going to happen. So here I am.
    I had the Evo3D for about 28 days, returned it and borrowed a friend's palm pre till the SG2 comes out. my initial impression: I can see why palm pre didn't sell well. the phone is tiny and keeps popping out of my hand when i try to press the power button or volume controls. the build quality is just mediocre. the keyboard is terrible. the keys are way too small and close together requiring me to type with my nails to make sure i don't hit other keys.
    07-28-2011 02:52 PM
    I had the Evo3D for about 28 days, returned it and borrowed a friend's palm pre till the SG2 comes out. my initial impression: I can see why palm pre didn't sell well. the phone is tiny and keeps popping out of my hand when i try to press the power button or volume controls. the build quality is just mediocre. the keyboard is terrible. the keys are way too small and close together requiring me to type with my nails to make sure i don't hit other keys.
    To each his own. I was just in the Sprint store today, and all the phones look huge. I wonder if they will fall out of my pockets. (Ladies clothes have lousy pockets.) I agree that the build quality of the Pre is medicre at best, and both the power button and the volume rocker have their issues. But I find the keyboard pretty decent, although definitely a notch below my old Treo, and the Pre keyboard is much easier for me to use than most of the landscape keyboards I have tried. I like that I can navigate it by feel, and don't have to look at they keys as I type.

Sigh. The Pre 3 is a little larger, without being quite as huge as the current crop of phones, and is reported to have good build quality and an excellent keyboard. But It's not coming to Sprint, and I don't think I want to jump ship to Verizon or AT&T.

So I guess I'll try one of these no-keyboard devices, and see if I can learn to love them. Most people do seem to get used to them and like them well enough. I only wish the phones weren't so very large.
    BimmyT likes this.
    07-28-2011 03:16 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD