07-30-2011 09:54 PM
67 123
tools
    To each his own. I was just in the Sprint store today, and all the phones look huge. I wonder if they will fall out of my pockets. (Ladies clothes have lousy pockets.) I agree that the build quality of the Pre is medicre at best, and both the power button and the volume rocker have their issues. But I find the keyboard pretty decent, although definitely a notch below my old Treo, and the Pre keyboard is much easier for me to use than most of the landscape keyboards I have tried. I like that I can navigate it by feel, and don't have to look at they keys as I type.

Sigh. The Pre 3 is a little larger, without being quite as huge as the current crop of phones, and is reported to have good build quality and an excellent keyboard. But It's not coming to Sprint, and I don't think I want to jump ship to Verizon or AT&T.

So I guess I'll try one of these no-keyboard devices, and see if I can learn to love them. Most people do seem to get used to them and like them well enough. I only wish the phones weren't so very large.
    well now, you do have choices currently,
    HTC Arrive - windows phone 7 OS, 3.7" display, slide out keyboard.
    HTC evo shift 4G- android OS, 3.7" display, slide out keyboard
    samsung epic 4G- android OS, 4" display, slide out keyboard.

but if you prefer newer technology, i guess you don't have a choice except waiting it out.
    but you know, a larger phone is not bad, you'll get used to the huge amount of screen space very quickly and won't want to go back. the same with virtual keyboard-only phones. you just have to give it a bit of time and use the right keyboard (swiftkey). initially you'll hate it, everyone does coming from a physical keyboard.
    07-28-2011 06:05 PM
    The salesman gave me a cardboard cutout of a Photon (an ad for the phone, but it appears to be the shape and size of the phone.) It doesn't quite fit in my pocket. That is, I have several pairs of the same shorts that I bought on closeout. I wear them all the time, including this evening. The velcro'd pocket that I keep my phone in isn't quite large enough for the Photon, at least, not if it is to velcro all the way. I borrowed a friend's Droid 2, which is just a tad smaller, and I could close my pocket around it. Barely. So I kind of think that the larger phone really is a negative, even if it's nice to look at the screen. Even an addict like me has the phone in my pocket more often than in my hand.

As for the keyboard, I hope you are right about everyone getting used to the virtual keyboard, because the physical keyboards available on Sprint/Androind aren't very good. I played with a friend's Evo Shift, and didn't like the keyboard. I was in the Sprint store today, and it seemed better in the store than I remembered it. I wonder if there's more than one model? I played with the Epic in the store, too, and hated the keyboard. I've played with both the Evo Shift and the Epic, and I'm not wild about either keyboard. Not that the Pre- has a great keyboard, but it's okay. I'm not sure either of those is even "okay." (The XPRT seemed to have a pretty good keyboard.)
    07-28-2011 10:07 PM
    After some positive initial reviews of the Photon, I think I've decided to go for it. My daughter wants a smartphone and so I'm going to give her my Epic and use her subsidy to get a new phone. I was thinking of the Within, but some things about Samsung devices (cheap feel, email client, funky GPS, problems with changing orientation that have never been fixed, etc.) make me want to try a new Android manufacturer.

So, it'll be the Photon for me on Sunday.
    07-29-2011 03:10 PM
    Just a quick update. I went to my local Sprint Store and they had the Motorola Rep there and he allowed me to play with the photon and I must admit it is amazing. Very snappy intuitive and has a bunch of accessories like the dock and car mount that would come in handy. I asked a buddy of mines who has the Epic 4G and he said he would hesitate to buy a samsung device again because of the Touchwiz software and overall cheap feel of it. Im going to pick up the Photon on Sunday. I picked up the Nexus S because my blackberry crapped out on me so the Sprint Rep told me I could try the Nexus S out for 30 days and it was great. But the Photon 4G is a world phone and was much snappier in response. It felt really great in the hand and was lighter than the EVO 3D and the design was very Star Trekish and distinctive. It didn't feel to obtuse in my pocket so I hope I have a winner on my hands. Also I didn't hate the MotoBlur on it because it was somewhat useful, blasphemy I know lol. Thank you everyone for your advice
    07-30-2011 12:54 AM
    This subject is still the big question for a lot of us that can upgrade. Photon NOW or wait for the SGSII and decide then? Is it a good strategy to pick up the Photon now and hope the SGSII comes out in the 30 day return/exchange window? Then you can decide to either keep the Photon or treat this as a trial period and move on to the SGSII if you prefer. What's the cost in the later...your upgrade is put back and you pay a $35 restock fee? What happens if we buy the Photon Sunday and we go 29 days and still no SGSII? Return it and go back to an earlier device to wait out the remaining time (hopefully not much longer)?

Sorry for all the questions, but Sprint finally has (or VERY soon) will have a very strong 4G line-up and it's strategy time for many of us to pick hardware we might have to stick with for awhile.

Thoughts?
    07-30-2011 12:05 PM
    I'm keeping my Evo and springing for the Photon for at least 29 days. Will go back to the Evo if I don't like it, just as I did when I returned my 3D.
    07-30-2011 01:36 PM
    I'm keeping my Evo and springing for the Photon for at least 29 days. Will go back to the Evo if I don't like it, just as I did when I returned my 3D.
    Just what I'm thinking with the Photon. So my two questions:

1) Do you get your upgrade restored?
    2) What feee do they charge? I thought I saw $35 restock

Thanks
    07-30-2011 02:21 PM
    Just what I'm thinking with the Photon. So my two questions:

1) Do you get your upgrade restored?
    2) What feee do they charge? I thought I saw $35 restock

Thanks
    Wasn't charged a fee, and upgrade was restored. Of course, I bought at Radio Shack. Going to get the Photon at the Sprint store today (they're holding one for me). Radio Shack won't have it immediately.
    07-30-2011 02:30 PM
    Sprint store told me they would charge me a $35 restocking fee. I'm okay with that, because I am going to Germany for a week, and I'd like a phone while I am there. I'm thinking of it as a rental charge, with an option to buy.
    donniegood likes this.
    07-30-2011 02:50 PM
    As I understand it you can only return/exchange it once. You might ask Sprint if they will allow a return/exchange on the Photon as this will be the second phone.
    07-30-2011 03:37 PM
    Sprint will NOT launch the SII within 30 days. They will do like they did with the Evo 3d and Photon.

Most likely around first or second week of September we will see the SII. Plus Samsung is saying it wants the SII to go head to head with Iphone 5. So definetly sometime in September.
    07-30-2011 04:36 PM
    So we hold the Photon for 29 days. Return it and wait two weeks and then decide :-)

Sprint will NOT launch the SII within 30 days. They will do like they did with the Evo 3d and Photon.

Most likely around first or second week of September we will see the SII. Plus Samsung is saying it wants the SII to go head to head with Iphone 5. So definetly sometime in September.
    07-30-2011 06:18 PM
    So we hold the Photon for 29 days. Return it and wait two weeks and then decide :-)
    That would be exactly what to do
    07-30-2011 07:27 PM
    As I understand it you can only return/exchange it once. You might ask Sprint if they will allow a return/exchange on the Photon as this will be the second phone.
    Surely this isn't true. What if somebody picks two bad ones in a row?
    07-30-2011 07:49 PM
    Surely this isn't true. What if somebody picks two bad ones in a row?
    You can exchange it for same model if defective and it will still be consider first phone. When you return it, your next purchase will be consider your final purchase. Same goes for if you exchange the phone for a different phone. That phone would be consider your final purchase. This is what I've been told by Sprint reps and also by their online return/ exchange policy. You may try asking other members here to see if anyone has been able to exchange their phone (different phone models)more than once.
    07-30-2011 08:20 PM
    You can exchange it for same model if defective and it will still be consider first phone. When you return it, your next purchase will be consider your final purchase. Same goes for if you exchange the phone for a different phone. That phone would be consider your final purchase. This is what I've been told by Sprint reps and also by their online return/ exchange policy. You may try asking other members here to see if anyone has been able to exchange their phone (different phone models)more than once.
    You switch retailers, that solves this issue
    07-30-2011 09:50 PM
    Hey guys i currently have a blackberry on Sprint and am looking to switch to a different operating system. My upgrade is coming in August and I was wondering whether or not to go for the Photon 4G which is expected to come out late July or should I hold out for the Galaxy S II (Samsung Within) which last I heard is coming out in August or September. My main needs are a battery that will last me a work day with moderate usage, can get email quickly and isn't too heavy. I've read the specs but they are all kind of confusing like would I notice the difference between 1.2 GHZ dual core and 1 GHZ dual core? Or the difference between a QHD screen and a Super AMOLED Plus screen? Both would be a big upgrade for me but which would be better? Also does anyone have any information on the GS2's release date for Sprint?

Thanks Guys
    My thoughts...

I am not new to using smart phones. I have used blackberry, windows mobile (5.0), and Android operating systems. I know there is no such thing as a "perfect" phone. Every phone I have had has some glitches that occur.

My vote stay away from Samsung. My last Samsung experience was horrid! I had the Samsung Moment (and I know that I can't compare the Moment to the Galaxy phone series). My experience with Samsung is this...there is a lot and I mean a lot of little annoying things that occur on a almost daily basis. Samsung showed me that their attention to small details was, well, non-existent. I hope that Samsung listened to the endless stream of negative comments about the Samsung Moment and the subsequent total fail phones they put out, but I'm done with Samsung. By the way... I have heard that some users of the Samsung Galaxy phones do not like the touch sensitivity of their phones. In my humble opinion, my old 5.0 windows mobile pocket pc would be preferable to any current samsung phone. I disliked my 5.0 windows pocket pc due to the constant problems I had.

My dad has a Motorola Droidx. I have played with his phone and I really like his phone. My experience with my dad's phone is so positive that I am leaving my HTC Evo Shift (which I love -- I also prefer HTC and LG phones in general) and upgrading to the Photon 4g. Just got mine today, I should get it on 8/4/11.
    donniegood likes this.
    07-30-2011 09:54 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD