Photon 4G or Galaxy S II

jb712

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys i currently have a blackberry on Sprint and am looking to switch to a different operating system. My upgrade is coming in August and I was wondering whether or not to go for the Photon 4G which is expected to come out late July or should I hold out for the Galaxy S II (Samsung Within) which last I heard is coming out in August or September. My main needs are a battery that will last me a work day with moderate usage, can get email quickly and isn't too heavy. I've read the specs but they are all kind of confusing like would I notice the difference between 1.2 GHZ dual core and 1 GHZ dual core? Or the difference between a QHD screen and a Super AMOLED Plus screen? Both would be a big upgrade for me but which would be better? Also does anyone have any information on the GS2's release date for Sprint?

Thanks Guys

justinsaneeeee

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I work for Sprint and I keep up to date on most of the high end phones.I have heard the SGS2 has pass FCC and I believe waiting for shipping and legal issues they will im sure anounce the date within the week or 2 for all carriers im going to say Mid August we already have a bunch of phone comeing out for July 24th we have Moto Titanium for Nextel and Moto Photon i believe will be July 24th too.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys i currently have a blackberry on Sprint and am looking to switch to a different operating system. My upgrade is coming in August and I was wondering whether or not to go for the Photon 4G which is expected to come out late July or should I hold out for the Galaxy S II (Samsung Within) which last I heard is coming out in August or September. My main needs are a battery that will last me a work day with moderate usage, can get email quickly and isn't too heavy. I've read the specs but they are all kind of confusing like would I notice the difference between 1.2 GHZ dual core and 1 GHZ dual core? Or the difference between a QHD screen and a Super AMOLED Plus screen? Both would be a big upgrade for me but which would be better? Also does anyone have any information on the GS2's release date for Sprint?

Thanks Guys

Depending on what you consider moderate use, If you need to have your emails check by the phone and not on your own , that alone will eat up your battery. there both about the same with the photon edging out with 1700 compared to 1650. When it comes to light wait Samsung will win on that. Super amoled plus is a better screen and looks amazing.( if your into watching movies and Vids. The Photon will most likely come out first since they already announced it and have the coming soon page on sprint. the GSII will most likely be released in August like some have already stated. They are both dual core processors and the 1GHz and 1.2 GHz really doesnt matter unless you will be running them side by side to see which 1 is faster. Paying a lot of games will also benefit from the 1.2 GHz.
The Photon is a world phone so if your more of a traveler and the phone is a heavy used work/business phone then this is your best option. ( this is all IMO)

Either one will be a great phone to get . So its really depending on how much do you need a phone right now and how long can you wait for 1. Good luck .

Reactions: jb712

jb712

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Depending on what you consider moderate use, If you need to have your emails check by the phone and not on your own , that alone will eat up your battery. there both about the same with the photon edging out with 1700 compared to 1650. When it comes to light wait Samsung will win on that. Super amoled plus is a better screen and looks amazing.( if your into watching movies and Vids. The Photon will most likely come out first since they already announced it and have the coming soon page on sprint. the GSII will most likely be released in August like some have already stated. They are both dual core processors and the 1GHz and 1.2 GHz really doesnt matter unless you will be running them side by side to see which 1 is faster. Paying a lot of games will also benefit from the 1.2 GHz.
The Photon is a world phone so if your more of a traveler and the phone is a heavy used work/business phone then this is your best option. ( this is all IMO)

Either one will be a great phone to get . So its really depending on how much do you need a phone right now and how long can you wait for 1. Good luck .

thank you very much for your detailed response. Since I cant upgrade till August I'll just wait for both to come out and pick the best one. Im leaning more towards the GS II because its less bulkier and therefore better to slide into my suit pocket without sticking out too much lol. Thanks again

droid1294

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The sgs2 is way better. Has the best screen and has the better processor. The photon 4g is locked and has moto blur. The sgs2 has had amazing reviews and has been called the best android phone time and time again. Moto is the worse manufacturer

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Last year Sammy was getting so much grief for not updating and people said they would never buy Sammy again. Coming from a Blackberry , Motoblur will be new and might not be a bother. My mom has a Charm and loves it with all that blur. From the reviews the GSII is a beast of a phone but the Photon is also in its own way. Just remember that which ever one you get it will cost 10 bucks a month more for Data use not 4G charge lol. I still here that statement on FB & Tweeter. Test the Photon out if its not for you at least you will be able to familiarize yourself with Android and you will know if its for you. You have the playbook so you know about the apps . If you decide you would want to get the GSII in stead then just return it and wait. I don't think you will regret either one , they're Android so you will like it lol ...

droid1294

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Last year Sammy was getting so much grief for not updating and people said they would never buy Sammy again. Coming from a Blackberry , Motoblur will be new and might not be a bother. My mom has a Charm and loves it with all that blur. From the reviews the GSII is a beast of a phone but the Photon is also in its own way. Just remember that which ever one you get it will cost 10 bucks a month more for Data use not 4G charge lol. I still here that statement on FB & Tweeter. Test the Photon out if its not for you at least you will be able to familiarize yourself with Android and you will know if its for you. You have the playbook so you know about the apps . If you decide you would want to get the GSII in stead then just return it and wait. I don't think you will regret either one , they're Android so you will like it lol ...
MOTO has been a fail time and time again. The sgs2 is the best phone by far and away

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
For you, maybe that's true. For me, it's not. Features such as DLNA streaming, the 1 gig of ram, the 16 gigs of on-board storage, 8 mp autofocus camera w/ dual flash, the Home/Office docking station (w/ HDMI wireless remote & 3 usb ports), as well as the Car navigation docking solutions, the Office document editing suite, all add up to be the best choice for me. Motobur doesn't bother me. (I may be in the minority, but I kinds like it) ;-)

...and I will have it in just over a week! (Through the Sprint Premier members early order program)

If the sgs2 offered these features, and optional accesories, I would have considered it. I know it is a great device, it just doesn't offer everything a want - The Photon does.

The sgs2 is way better. Has the best screen and has the better processor. The photon 4g is locked and has moto blur. The sgs2 has had amazing reviews and has been called the best android phone time and time again. Moto is the worse manufacturer

Reactions: ljbad4life

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you droid1294 about the GSII being the best phone this year. But its not out yet and for someone who has never used Android or Moto it might be that bad for the OP... I myself had never had any issue with my PRE and the slider but some people went thru 3 of them and still couldn't get the Oreo effect out of it. I would still recommended due to my experience with it. Toddk chose the Photon and I'm sure he will love it , if not 30days later will return. Thats the great thing about Sprint. Take the phone , test it for 30 days and return it if its not living up to the hipe.

Reactions: ToddK

droid1294

May 19, 2011
Visit site
For you, maybe that's true. For me, it's not. Features such as DLNA streaming, the 1 gig of ram, the 16 gigs of on-board storage, 8 mp autofocus camera w/ dual flash, the Home/Office docking station (w/ HDMI wireless remote & 3 usb ports), as well as the Car navigation docking solutions, the Office document editing suite, all add up to be the best choice for me. Motobur doesn't bother me. (I may be in the minority, but I kinds like it) ;-)

...and I will have it in just over a week! (Through the Sprint Premier members early order program)

If the sgs2 offered these features, and optional accesories, I would have considered it. I know it is a great device, it just doesn't offer everything a want - The Photon does.

it has 16 gb, 1 gb if ram, better 8mp camera, docking station by moto is ****

droid1294

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you droid1294 about the GSII being the best phone this year. But its not out yet and for someone who has never used Android or Moto it might be that bad for the OP... I myself had never had any issue with my PRE and the slider but some people went thru 3 of them and still couldn't get the Oreo effect out of it. I would still recommended due to my experience with it. Toddk chose the Photon and I'm sure he will love it , if not 30days later will return. Thats the great thing about Sprint. Take the phone , test it for 30 days and return it if its not living up to the hipe.
What is taking forever for the us carriers to bring the sgs2 here? Its the best phone and it needs to be released quickly and it should be released before the next iphone

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
it has 16 gb, 1 gb if ram, better 8mp camera, docking station by moto is ****

But, it is better than no docking station at all - and these things need to be charged almost constantly ;-) so, the car and home docking solutions will work well for me.

And **** is subjective, one persons **** is another persons steak.... if the Photon turns out to be ****, I will return it and try another. However, I'm confident the Photon will be a very good phone for me.

Maybe, by then, the sgs2 will have been released, (or at least a release date set), and I'll try it out.

Prior to the Pre I never owned a phone for more than a year, (....and I've had almost two dozen phones over the last 14 years - my first was a Motorola bag phone, which I replaced with a Motorola StarTac, Nokia 6160, all the Handsprings and Treos as well as the Centro, and most still turn on and function!) So, I think one way or another, a year or two from now, both the Photon and the sgs2 will be considered junk too. :) .....but, that said, with the exception of the Treo 650, (that phone was indestructable!), the motos were the best phones I've ever owned.

Everyone has their own experiences, though..

Once the sgs2 is released, I'll be sure to stop by the sgs2 forum and see how you like it.

Cheers, ToddK

It's just a stupid phone, after all. :)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What is taking forever for the us carriers to bring the sgs2 here? Its the best phone and it needs to be released quickly and it should be released before the next iphone

According to Samsung, "Negotiations with US carriers have dragged on". In other words, US carriers have wanted to personalize the heck out of what is already excellently designed device so they can separate themselves from the competition (each other). Hopefully Samsung has been pushing back (ala our friends in Cupertino) thus the main basis for the delay. I'll take a delay over a carrier hacking and slashing a phone that is already great as it is.

Regarding your purchase decision, I say wait for the Within to be released if you can, hold both in your hands and play with them a bit, then compare the specs against what is most important to you. These are both Android devices obviously, but each will have their own look, feel and abilities. Unless Sprint lobotomizes it, the SGS2 will probably beat the Photon in most benchmarks, but benchmarks aren't everything. You may find that the Photon is a better device for YOU.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
According to Samsung, "Negotiations with US carriers have dragged on". In other words, US carriers have wanted to personalize the heck out of what is already excellently designed device so they can separate themselves from the competition (each other). Hopefully Samsung has been pushing back (ala our friends in Cupertino) thus the main basis for the delay. I'll take a delay over a carrier hacking and slashing a phone that is already great as it is.

Regarding your purchase decision, I say wait for the Within to be released if you can, hold both in your hands and play with them a bit, then compare the specs against what is most important to you. These are both Android devices obviously, but each will have their own look, feel and abilities. Unless Sprint lobotomizes it, the SGS2 will probably beat the Photon in most benchmarks, but benchmarks aren't everything. You may find that the Photon is a better device for YOU.

Will the SGS2 suffer from the horrible data issues like the samsung built Nexus S 4g? Will the SGS2 be a 4g world phone? Where are the benchmarks? Do you mean where the Tegra 2 is nearly identical? I remember all this hoopla over the epic last year and guess which phone everyone bought? The EVO.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Will the SGS2 suffer from the horrible data issues like the samsung built Nexus S 4g?

No clue. Probably not.

Will the SGS2 be a 4g world phone?

Probably not. If that's something you're looking for, the Photon fits the bill yeah?

Where are the benchmarks? Do you mean where the Tegra 2 is nearly identical?

All over the internet. We'll see how the Photon stacks up. It'll probably perform very well. Like I said, benchmarks aren't everything (or anything depending on your point of view).

I remember all this hoopla over the epic last year and guess which phone everyone bought? The EVO.

I don't know what your point is, but the Epic 4G was no slouch in sales last year either.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I was going for the SGSII BUT I have found features I like with the photon 4g. I have been playing with my brothers Droid x2 with the same CPU but half ram and it played n64 games almost perfect with sound. I could not stop playing with it. I love the kickstand on my EVO so the photons kickstand is a plus, and the qHD screen is a plus for me also. My wife has the EVO 3D and I love the qHD screen, it makes everything seem more easy to read compared to non-qHD screens. The hdmi out is great as I have a cable for my EVO 4g, and since the photon will not come with a SD card, I can pop in mine and restore all my apps and data using my backup pro. I like the curves on the edges of the photon. I wanted to get the SGSII but it has a few important missing features I am looking for in a phone. The SGSII MIGHT be the best phone to other people, but not to me and I'm so f'n tired of people making a big deal about Samsung phones when I didn't feel the epic to be that much better then my EVO. So stop with the its the best phone in the world crap because its old news and most people could careless.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
No clue. Probably not.
The fastest Phone in the world means nothing if it pulls down 4g at half the speed of 3g phones and can't stay connected. But I guess that's great superior Samsung quality :p

All over the internet. We'll see how the Photon stacks up. It'll probably perform very well. Like I said, benchmarks aren't everything (or anything depending on your point of view).

You mean this benchmark where a tegra 2 motorola scores lower???? man the Tegra too is sooo slow and was absolutely blown out of the water. Nvidia should just shut down operations because samsung's chip beat it in a bench mark by 300 points. :confused:, But wait there's more!

The tegra 2 based Atrix out performed the samsung SGS2.... by 300 points on the next benchmark!! so there goes the theroy of Samsung being the bestest, fastest phone evvvooor created :-[ . So it would seem that the photon and the samsung processor wise will be on even footing overall. Some things the photon's tegra 2 will be faster at and some things the SGS2 will be faster, it's a wash

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki