Photon 4G or Galaxy S II

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I was going for the SGSII BUT I have found features I like with the photon 4g. I have been playing with my brothers Droid x2 with the same CPU but half ram and it played n64 games almost perfect with sound. I could not stop playing with it. I love the kickstand on my EVO so the photons kickstand is a plus, and the qHD screen is a plus for me also. My wife has the EVO 3D and I love the qHD screen, it makes everything seem more easy to read compared to non-qHD screens. The hdmi out is great as I have a cable for my EVO 4g, and since the photon will not come with a SD card, I can pop in mine and restore all my apps and data using my backup pro. I like the curves on the edges of the photon. I wanted to get the SGSII but it has a few important missing features I am looking for in a phone. The SGSII MIGHT be the best phone to other people, but not to me and I'm so f'n tired of people making a big deal about Samsung phones when I didn't feel the epic to be that much better then my EVO. So stop with the its the best phone in the world crap because its old news and most people could careless.

Can you restore all apps and DATA?? I was under the assumption you needed root access for this?? The Photon will definitely have a LOCKED bootloader, no root.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Can you restore all apps and DATA?? I was under the assumption you needed root access for this?? The Photon will definitely have a LOCKED bootloader, no root.

there are plenty of apps that allow you to back up your android device. You don't need an SD card to do it, you can back it up to your pc.

The 16GB in the Photon is a god send, because having a small internal storage is a pain in the neck. For example My best friend has an Evo 4g and he has maxed out his internal storage. Downloads default to internal storage and his phone is always screaming about too little memory. There are certain apps that cannot be saved to the sd card.

So every few days he's going into the phone and has to move what he can off to the sd card. it's a hassle. The prices of sd cards are pretty cheap so buying one to add to the photon isn't a problem and results in massive amounts of storage. The Photon's 16 plus up to 32GBs is a massive amount of memory.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Yes, you can backup apps and data without root access. Checkout MyBackup Pro in the Android Market. I've used it before. It works flawlessly.

The Photon will have a locked bootloader, but there's the potential for it to be unlocked later by Motorola. They have already done this with one phone. The Atrix I believe?

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a photon 4G in hand and I can say its a great device. I havent played with a SGS2 yet but from what I have read and seen in reviews, its also a great device.

Sent From The 2nd SHOOTER On The Grassy Knoll!

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
and here are the internal storage specs of my Photon.
5959342696_e4df2c53a7_z.jpg

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Full review w\ pics, or as the kids say, it didn't happen.
Edit
- ok that's one. Now I'm android green with envy.

I have a photon 4G in hand and I can say its a great device. I havent played with a SGS2 yet but from what I have read and seen in reviews, its also a great device.

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Why so little availabe memory?

!ess than 3 gigs available out of 16, where did it go?

Application storage plus internal storage is like 12gb. 4 gigs short of 16. That 4 probably goes to system, blur, sprint ID, and the 50 apps that it comes with from factory, Motorola and bloat.

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I guess what I should ask is why so little for app storage?
I know it' s probably an android "thing" - But, I'm new to android, and need a little "extra help" :)

....and, how is the speed? Laggy at all? Damm I want to check out this phone! I hate you a little, right now. :)

Application storage plus internal storage is like 12gb. 4 gigs short of 16. That 4 probably goes to system, blur, sprint ID, and the 50 apps that it comes with from factory, Motorola and bloat.

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So far over WiFi the phone seems on par with my 3D before I activated it. I played around with my 3D on WiFi for a whole day before I activated it. So I think its on par with the 3D.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess what I should ask is why so little for app storage?
I know it' s probably an android "thing" - But, I'm new to android, and need a little "extra help" :)

....and, how is the speed? Laggy at all? Damm I want to check out this phone! I hate you a little, right now. :)

It's confusing, but the storage isn't limited to the "free app storage" you see in the screenshot. That's only what's left of the base storage after the OS, skins, and whatever pre-installed apps take their share. On top of that you have both internal storage and a separate SD card. Most apps can now be stored on the SD card (or in internal memory designated as an SD card), leaving very little footprint behind in the base storage.

3gb of base storage for apps is actually greater than average for Android phones. The chances that you'll fill those 3gb with apps even without moving some to the SD card is pretty slim. Remember that most common non-gaming apps are under 10mb.* :)

*Games are a different matter, in that they can be enormous (>1gb) once they've downloaded all the needed data and files. However, that extra file space will be installed on the SD card (or internal storage) so don't worry about it eating your available base app storage space.

Reactions: ToddK

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I have seen videos of the SGSII of games being played. Nobody knows witch is better unless you play with them both. And please don't give me that benchmark bs because after my EVO 4g got the gingerbread the benchmark test were lower, They are not always accurate. Only the world says its the best Android phone, I am not the world nor is everyone else. We don't need this phone because some says its the best, isn't that why Android started in the 1st place to give everyone choice? 1 last note, last time I checked before the 1st galaxy phones arrived, EVERY SAMSUNG phone on Sprint was complete garbage. Please stop acting like a die hard Apple iPhone user acting like the galaxy s phones are the only phones that matter.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't own a samsung phone, they feel cheap and the screens look cartoonified!

SARAH PALIN 2012
Samsung makes some great phones, and they're great at developing phones that will get very good reviews. However, their phones have extremely annoying quirks when they're 1st released. The GS 1 took forever to get Froyo and the GPS was annoying.... There's also a tendency for apps to be compatible with Galaxy S phones at later dates... Skype worked for Moto and HTC phones that had Android 2.1, but with Galaxy S, it needed android 2.2.... Then you have the keyboard lag, if unrooted..
Again, Samsung makes great phones, but the quirks that their phones come out with truly make me feel like a beta tester the first 6 months.
If Moto wasn't coming out with a world phone I'd keep my GS, and just skip over GS2, but Moto provided me with something that I wanted =D

graffix31

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
believe me i know all about feeling like a beta tester after living with a palm pre all this time. the good thing is that this phone has been out in the market for a while now. maybe no the us but still. so im assuming that any issues that arose from the initial launch has been taken care of for the us.

BigIke06

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

How do you like the new blur or are u using LLP?

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about getting the Moto Photon. However, I will not buy it because I will not able to root it. I like to root my phones and have fun with them. If I can not root my phone it is a big No for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol