Should I part with my NS4G and get a Photon?

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
With all the numerous problems the NS4G has been having, unacceptable with it being a Google phone, should I just get a Photon off contract?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
With all the numerous problems the NS4G has been having, unacceptable with it being a Google phone, should I just get a Photon off contract?

If you're having problems with your Nexus, then yes. Have you tried getting yours replaced? Maybe you just got a bad one

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat. 2.3.5 disabled tethering etc. I will miss the oled screen however. Let me know how you proceed and why.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any apparent problems on my phone, my signal only dies whenever I'm in a roaming area, but usually disabling wireless brings it back. My Evo did the same thing though it always got the signal back on its own.

Plus I bought mine off eBay brand new.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any apparent problems on my phone, my signal only dies whenever I'm in a roaming area, but usually disabling wireless brings it back. My Evo did the same thing though it always got the signal back on its own.

Plus I bought mine off eBay brand new.

Roam control. That app is a life saver sometimes. I bought mine of contract new from the forums a month ago and absolutely love it. Nothing that's announced would make me give up my Nexus

philbw

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I was set on getting a Photon myself when it comes out. Ended up falling in love with the Nexus instead. I just don't know if I could handle how locked down the Photon is. I honestly didn't even know the NS had free tethering (until recently when a Sprint rep told me about the "glitch") and was planning on rooting to get tethering anyway. Anyhow, I'd love HDMI, 2 cores, an sd slot, and a kickstand myself as well, but I just don't see those things outweighing all of the potential mods of a Nexus.

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I was set on getting a Photon myself when it comes out. Ended up falling in love with the Nexus instead. I just don't know if I could handle how locked down the Photon is. I honestly didn't even know the NS had free tethering (until recently when a Sprint rep told me about the "glitch") and was planning on rooting to get tethering anyway. Anyhow, I'd love HDMI, 2 cores, an sd slot, and a kickstand myself as well, but I just don't see those things outweighing all of the potential mods of a Nexus.
Being new to Android, and planning to get a Photon this week, can you educate me a bit? What mods do you have on your phone that you can't give up? What differences do you have with those mods that the stock Photon (with Motoblur, etc) can't compete with? I am honestly wanting to know, and not trying to stir any pots.

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I could root to get it back yes and I really like the feel of the phone. But honestly the dev community was much more active for the evo. Stock android works well for me so I have not rooted. But hardware specs are a tangable that costs money to upgrade. Software is free. And with ICS having support for multicore we should be a tad more future proof (hardware wise) but we still need to see if sw will be kept up to date by both the dev community and Moto.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I could root to get it back yes and I really like the feel of the phone. But honestly the dev community was much more active for the evo. Stock android works well for me so I have not rooted. But hardware specs are a tangable that costs money to upgrade. Software is free. And with ICS having support for multicore we should be a tad more future proof (hardware wise) but we still need to see if sw will be kept up to date by both the dev community and Moto.

I agree with you, but, the device community was more active on the EVO for two reasons. One, it was the first legit superphone on sprint and sold very well. Two, the devs made a lot of what is available on the Nexus available on the EVO. Everyone I know that rooted an EVO ended up on CM7. We don't need 30 different ROMs, we already have what we need.

I also agree with you on the hardware, but ICS isn't here yet. At the moment, the Nexus is just as fast in every day usage as the dual core phones. By the time ICS comes out, the dual does phones out now will be old news. I would wait.

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you, but, the device community was more active on the EVO for two reasons. One, it was the first legit superphone on sprint and sold very well. Two, the devs made a lot of what is available on the Nexus available on the EVO. Everyone I know that rooted an EVO ended up on CM7. We don't need 30 different ROMs, we already have what we need.

I fall right in here :-D

I also agree with you on the hardware, but ICS isn't here yet. At the moment, the Nexus is just as fast in every day usage as the dual core phones. By the time ICS comes out, the dual does phones out now will be old news. I would wait.

Such is always the case. But I would rather be one Gen behind than 2 hardware wise. I would really like he SgsII but w will see if and when it comes to sprint.....

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Such is always the case. But I would rather be one Gen behind than 2 hardware wise. I would really like he SgsII but w will see if and when it comes to sprint.....

Typically I would agree, but I would argue that the Nexus is only a gen behind on paper, but performance wise its not. By the time it is 2 gens behind on paper and 1 in performance, that's when I'll upgrade. My $.02

theboss924#CB

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Photon looks great on paper...but let's be honest....not all those specs are actually put to good use

-8 Megapixel camera (the amount of megapixels does NOT determine how good the quality will be of the picture)
-Dual Core Processor (this is nice to have, but only the Honeycomb tablets are really taking advantage of this. My Nexus S 4G still runs smoother than the EVO 3D and it's running a dual core processor)
-4.3 Inch screen (Nice...but it's no super AMOLED)

My reasons for not switching from Nexus S 4G to Photon
-Super AMOLED screen looks much better
-Smoother performance
-Latest Android updates (We are on Android 2.3.5 now)
-No bulls*** loaded from Motorola or Sprint
-Sexy look for a phone (c'mon...the Photon looks kinda ugly, although the look of a phone is the last thing I am concerned about)
-Battery life is pretty good considering what I do in a single day (I'm rooted but running stock kernel from GRJ90 update)

Those complaining about the hotspot being disabled with GRJ90...either pay for it or root your phone...it's that simple. There is a one click root that still works with the new update that came out and it's extremely easy.

Photon will be a good phone for the extreme user...but whatever makes you happy is all that matters in the end. I'm just saying don't count the Nexus S 4G out completely because it is still up to par with everything that's out there today.

Just throwing in my two cents....

As long as you have an Android device...that's all that matters....we must CRUSH Blackberry and continue to kick around the iPhone.

android%252520ko%252520blackberry.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463