Have Photon Questions? Ask 'em here

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
sprint-motorola-photon-4g-1.jpg

Part 1 of our review is up. We'll have more once we've used the thing for more than 16 hours. (Actually use a phone before reviewing it? Madness!)

Have questions? Ask me here.

dr_hfuhuhurr

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
What does the bloatware situation look like on this phone in a post bloatware happy Sprint?

Please tell me the Nascar app is gone? I was embarrassed to have that on my phone.

k425

May 21, 2010
Visit site
sprint-motorola-photon-4g-1.jpg

Part 1 of our review is up. We'll have more once we've used the thing for more than 16 hours. (Actually use a phone before reviewing it? Madness!)

Have questions? Ask me here.
Phil!

Thanks for having your initial review up so quickly!! Great job!

#1 How does the pentile screen look to you?
#2 Are those holes in the back cover at the top and bottom for microphones (ala the original Droid X)?
#3 Is the speakerphone loud?
#4 How is the call quality?
#5 My biggest concern about getting the Photon was the drop in resolution of the front camera (VGA on Photon) from 1.3MP on the EVO 4G. How does the FFC quality look?

Thanks... Android Central Rocks!

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
What does the bloatware situation look like on this phone in a post bloatware happy Sprint?

Please tell me the Nascar app is gone? I was embarrassed to have that on my phone.

lol. NASCAR's still there.

Along with Sprint ID, Quickoffice, Sprint Mobile Wallet, Sprint Music Plus, Sprint Radio, Sprint TV and Movies, TeleNav, a Task Manager and other stuff.

Look -- Hesse made that statement ... when ... last week? You're gonna have to wait a little while to see if they really do tone down the bloat.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Phil!

#2 Are those holes in the back cover at the top and bottom for microphones (ala the original Droid X)?
#5 My biggest concern about getting the Photon was the drop in resolution of the front camera (VGA on Photon) from 1.3MP on the EVO 4G. How does the FFC quality look!

Screen looks like a pentile screen. I'd prefer it not be, but it's also not going to keep me from buying the phone.

Yeah. The holes are for mics.

See speakerphone answer above.

k425

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Screen looks like a pentile screen. I'd prefer it not be, but it's also not going to keep me from buying the phone.

Yeah. The holes are for mics.

See speakerphone answer above.
Phil

Once again thanks man! FFC looks good enough for profile pics or Gtalk video chat!! Woohoo!

-k425
P.S. Did you get my email on the info on Pentile Screens from PenTile Blog ? Lots of great into there. Would make a great AC article...

BillCase

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Can the font size on the Photon be set and adjusted? I'm currently using a Blackberry. I can set my font size for text and emails at a certain size(10, 12, 14, 16, etc.). Is this possible on the Photon? I don't want to have to "pinch" to increase the text size in text and emails, or any other app/function. I want to set the font to a certain size and not have to worry about it. My vision is going on me in my old age! Haha!

Thanks for your help!

dr_hfuhuhurr

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The home screens. I've only had HTC Android phones and a 7" galaxy tab thus far. There are 7 home screens. Can you add more?

The Galaxy Tab allowed me to add as many home screens as I wanted. HTC was locked at 7.

k425

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The home screens. I've only had HTC Android phones and a 7" galaxy tab thus far. There are 7 home screens. Can you add more?

The Galaxy Tab allowed me to add as many home screens as I wanted. HTC was locked at 7.
Phil

In Shawheim's "early preview" he stated that Gtalk Video Chat works on the Photon. In PC World's Photon review, they said GTalk Video chat was missing.

Can you clarify if the Photon has Gtalk Video Chat or not?

Thanks K425
P.S. Shawheim if Gtalk Video chat is absent you got some 'splainin' to do! :)

k425

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Not on my review unit.
That is truly a bummer! Thanks for clarifying...

What's a guy gotta do to get him Gtalk Video Chat going on.... other than rooting (which you can't on the Photon... yet or download Vtok? <--- rhetorical question... no reply needed :)

Ok real question... what is the amount of storage allocated for apps out of the on-board internal 16GB of memory?

Last edited:

thatguitarguy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Phil!

#5 My biggest concern about getting the Photon was the drop in resolution of the front camera (VGA on Photon) from 1.3MP on the EVO 4G. How does the FFC quality look?

Thanks... Android Central Rocks!

1. I like the galaxy s sceen more. The resolution is nice but thats it.
2. I'm trying to figure that out too. I think they're noise canceling mics. My friend said it around like I hung up when I don't talk. Nice.
3. It is loud. When traveling my notification tone went off and I jumped up. Embarrassing, haha.
4. Great call quality for the most part. Earpiece is good but has a tubby or hollow sound sometimes. Noise canceling mics?
5. Its okay. Overall I prefer the epic 4g cameras. The photon is a step down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01