The car dock is GREAT

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I really love the car dock that I just purchased. By FAR the best dock for any phone I've seen. Finally, we have a manufacturer that figured out how to get audio from the USB charger connector for one cable connection. On most phones, you're stuck putting in the dock and plugging in the audio cable on the side. Really ugly.

It was also designed to work with a case, as there's an insert that can be removed if you're not using the phone only. Beautiful.

It is really well made and reasonable ($58 at my Sprint store), not ridiculously over-priced like those made for HTC phones.

donniegood

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Sure can. Works great. If your car stereo has an aux-jack or maybe a cassette adapter, that is.

I agree I rather enjoy the car dock, I even plugged the aux from the cord and the usb into my stereo and got to eliminate my cigarette outlet. The less clutter the better

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
A couple questions:

1. Is there feedback from the dock through the car stereo when nothing is actively playing? I have that issue with the card dock for my Epic, and it drives me crazy.

2. How well does it handle switching from audio through the auxiliary and Bluetooth for calls?

3. Is the car dock app customizable, as in, we can add our own apps? You can't on the Samsung app, and it's another thing I don't like about it.

RickNY

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Question on the car dock... I plan on getting this and modifying it so that the phone mount is attached to a Proclip Vehicle mount.. I've done this in the past with my Palm Pre, using the vehicle mount to mount a Palm Touchstone.. I currently have the Evo Shift 4G, my Photon should arrive next week sometime.. I plan on picking up the car dock tomorrow..

So the question is, does the part that holds the phone easily separated from the rest of the mount?
(including the portion where the cable plugs in)

Thanks,
Rick

donniegood

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Question on the car dock... I plan on getting this and modifying it so that the phone mount is attached to a Proclip Vehicle mount.. I've done this in the past with my Palm Pre, using the vehicle mount to mount a Palm Touchstone.. I currently have the Evo Shift 4G, my Photon should arrive next week sometime.. I plan on picking up the car dock tomorrow..

So the question is, does the part that holds the phone easily separated from the rest of the mount?
(including the portion where the cable plugs in)

Thanks,
Rick

Yes, I wish I would have taken a pic before mounting it but it comes seperated there is a ball type joint that is connected to the dock portion and it fits in and is tightened around and connects to the windsheild.... i realize nothing i said makes sense so in closing...yes it comes in peices

RickNY

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I wish I would have taken a pic before mounting it but it comes seperated there is a ball type joint that is connected to the dock portion and it fits in and is tightened around and connects to the windsheild.... i realize nothing i said makes sense so in closing...yes it comes in peices

Thanks! I'll make it work, one way or the other.. I am so looking forward to a dock that I can just put the phone in without hooking up additional cables..I current have the Shift, and when I put it in the mount, I have to plug in the audio and charger cable.. When I had the Pre, I had the Touchstone, so I had to plug in the audio cable.

One other question -- do you know what the current output is of the cigarette lighter adapter? Is it 1A?

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
A couple questions:

1. Is there feedback from the dock through the car stereo when nothing is actively playing? I have that issue with the card dock for my Epic, and it drives me crazy.

2. How well does it handle switching from audio through the auxiliary and Bluetooth for calls?

3. Is the car dock app customizable, as in, we can add our own apps? You can't on the Samsung app, and it's another thing I don't like about it.

Don't know what you mean on #1. And can't answer #2, because I don't really use bluetooth in the car. I've found that hooking up the stereo speakers and answering (using it like a speakerphone) works perfectly. Good microphone, good noise canceling. I have a bluetooth (Blueant T1), so perhaps I'll try it tomorrow.

As for #3, there are two screens, and each can add two apps.

donniegood

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Honestly no clue what output is because i used the USB and plugged it right into my car's stereo and then the 3.5mm into my aux so use of one cable and not even all the way down to the lighter

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't know what you mean on #1. And can't answer #2, because I don't really use bluetooth in the car. I've found that hooking up the stereo speakers and answering (using it like a speakerphone) works perfectly. Good microphone, good noise canceling. I have a bluetooth (Blueant T1), so perhaps I'll try it tomorrow.

As for #3, there are two screens, and each can add two apps.

Thanks. What I mean by feedback is that with the Epic dock, if nothing is actively playing in the phone but it's docked, there's a great deal of interference that plays over the speakers. Maybe it's not properly grounded or something, but it's a common complaint.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. What I mean by feedback is that with the Epic dock, if nothing is actively playing in the phone but it's docked, there's a great deal of interference that plays over the speakers. Maybe it's not properly grounded or something, but it's a common complaint.

Common complaint for me, too, with other phones connected to Aux and charging at the same time. I tried it on the Photon dock, and there doesn't appear to be a problem with whine at all. Even boosted the treble to almost max and could barely hear any change as I pressed the accelerator.

Now, I will say that there is a major disappointment for me. It seems that with any case attached, the auto dock recognition doesn't work. Maybe there's a magnet that cannot penetrate the case? I have bought the most minimalist case available, and it doesn't work. Works great with no case, so I will probably go caseless.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

RickNY

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Now, I will say that there is a major disappointment for me. It seems that with any case attached, the auto dock recognition doesn't work. Maybe there's a magnet that cannot penetrate the case? I have bought the most minimalist case available, and it doesn't work. Works great with no case, so I will probably go caseless.

This may be a silly question -- but did you remove the spacer piece thats included with the kit that is used if you are not using a case?

l1fe

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have any connectivity problems when using the car dock with the holster case? If I don't have the holster and I use the car dock's extender piece, everything works fine. However, when I remove the extender piece and just put phone + holster case in, it doesn't stay flush and the audio cuts in and out.