IMAP email issues with Photon--solved

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 email accounts on my phone. Gmail, Hotmail, and a personal domain (run as IMAP on a host, not Exchange). I like the Moto Photon's combined messaging (texts and all email accounts visible in one place), which is like the Blackberry world I switched from. However, the native applications will not delete emails from the server, which means when you open you email at home, you have lots of emails you thought you had already deleted.

Second issue, and more important, is that Sent emails do not get saved on the IMAP server. This means any replies you sent from your phone are essentially lost (unless you BCC yourself, and then go through multiple steps to file them away later on another computer).

I read about lots of different alternative email solutions for Android. I installed and tried several, but none really fixed either of the above issues. Or, if they did, the interface was very awkward.

Finally, today I tried Maildroid Pro. I started with the free version, just to test it, and it seemed to work great. So, I bought the ad-free version. So far, it is great! The only thing that could make it better is if I could have my text messaging incorporated into the "combined account" area.

If IMAP email functionality is important to you, I strongly recommend Maildroid Pro. I know it is expensive for an Android program, but it is the only answer I was able to find. And it works well.

Last edited:

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I have to opposite issue from you. I want to be able to delete stuff from my phone without losing it from the server, because I archive my email. (On my home computer, but it needs to get it from the server.) So I'm interested to learn that Photon's email client doesn't do that.

I wish it were easier to tell what an email client does and doesn't do. I'm really afraid I'm going to lose mail with the conversion to this phone.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
K-9 Mail has a setting option to specify whether you want emails deleted from the phone deleted on the server or not. Does MailDroid Pro have that option?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I struggled with K-9 at first, because it doesn't really work until you reboot the phone, and even then, I have a little trouble getting to the "right" option menu, but I think I've gotten all teh basics worked out. Seems like a great app. Do you know if there's a way to pay/donate for it? (I suppose I could google that.)

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
K-9 Mail has a setting option to specify whether you want emails deleted from the phone deleted on the server or not. Does MailDroid Pro have that option?
Maildroid Pro has the following options each available to be toggled on or off:
"When removed on Device delete on Server"
"When removed on Server delete on Device"

Meistro#AC

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 email accounts on my phone. Gmail, Hotmail, and a personal domain (run as IMAP on a host, not Exchange). I like the Moto Photon's combined messaging (texts and all email accounts visible in one place), which is like the Blackberry world I switched from. However, the native applications will not delete emails from the server, which means when you open you email at home, you have lots of emails you thought you had already deleted.

Second issue, and more important, is that Sent emails do not get saved on the IMAP server. This means any replies you sent from your phone are essentially lost (unless you BCC yourself, and then go through multiple steps to file them away later on another computer).

I read about lots of different alternative email solutions for Android. I installed and tried several, but none really fixed either of the above issues. Or, if they did, the interface was very awkward.

Finally, today I tried Maildroid Pro. I started with the free version, just to test it, and it seemed to work great. So, I bought the ad-free version. So far, it is great! The only thing that could make it better is if I could have my text messaging incorporated into the "combined account" area.

If IMAP email functionality is important to you, I strongly recommend Maildroid Pro. I know it is expensive for an Android program, but it is the only answer I was able to find. And it works well.
I am pleasantly surprised to find that the native app is pushing new messages on my good 'ol AOL account. Statdoc, be sure that you have your trash folder set to background autosync. For those using Hotmail, don't forget about the free Exchange server access.

mgiven

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I am pleasantly surprised to find that the native app is pushing new messages on my good 'ol AOL account. Statdoc, be sure that you have your trash folder set to background autosync. For those using Hotmail, don't forget about the free Exchange server access.
I'm also comparing the native mail app, K9 and Gmail.

I DO like the fact that the native app includes texts in the universal inbox and it looks polished. It just feels like it's missing something. K9 was a steep learning curve getting it set up, but looks now to be very powerful. Still I don't see inbox filtering and setting up rules. I've NEVER used Gmail and it's JUST what they'd want all of us to do, but I'm going to give it a shot. No IMAP, but POP importing while keeping all messages on original server is close enough. Gmail will be the most full featured, including filtering though their use of label rules. We'll see how it all goes.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

Hmm, I'm finding all of my accounts (Yahoo! IMAP, Gmail, and my work Exchange), all delete messages of the server, which propogates to my other clients. For example, I can delete off Exchange, and watch the message disappear from my Outlook client.

?

andoman

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Ding ding ding, winner! I've had some trouble figuring out the difference in setting labels between touch ui and blur but I'm getting there. Sync the trash will delete emails from the server on yahoo mail and my corporate email.

djmiked

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ding ding ding, winner! I've had some trouble figuring out the difference in setting labels between touch ui and blur but I'm getting there. Sync the trash will delete emails from the server on yahoo mail and my corporate email.

How does one "sync" the trash folder? I tried but can't seem to figure it out!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08