08-14-2011 10:05 AM
182 12345 ...
tools
    I'll second the outdoor visibility part. I took mine out into the SoCal sun today at noon, and the screen was the best I've ever seen in that much light. And, as I think I stated earlier in this thread: the screen just doesn't look bad to me. I don't see the screen door effect, and the scrolling doesn't bug me if I'm actually noticing anything at all.

I do think it's interesting how some people project their own opinions on others so strongly, to the point where they actually won't accept that something that bugs them doesn't bug some other people. And I need to add again: we're hearing mainly from the people who don't like the screen. Most people who are fine with it won't take the time to comment on it at all.

I think if anyone is considering the Photon, don't go by what people are saying here. Go try it yourself. If I'd listened to everyone about how "bad" it's supposed to be, I'd never have considered it, and I happen to think it's pretty darn good and the phone itself is mostly outstanding so far. I'm certainly enjoying it more than the Epic, and its polish makes me VERY reluctant to ever consider another Samsung product again.
    milkshed27 likes this.
    08-01-2011 07:14 PM
    Did anyone stop and think Motorola might have chosen the Pentile screen on purpose because it provides longer battery life and this phone will be seen more as a sturdy/good reception/world capable device marketed towards business users? I'm guessing that market research would have shown that these types of users have other things higher on their wish list for a device.

Yea, it the 3D looks a little better side-by-side and so will the within. However, when you complain about the battery life on the 3D you can't have it both ways.
    I have both phones, I haven't found the battery life to be any better on the Photon, and it's no more sturdy than any other Android phone I've used. A lot of these phones are very similar now, so in many cases it's going to come down to things like how the screen looks. I'm going to give it a week to see if I get used to it. But I already find myself favoring the 3D.
    08-01-2011 07:26 PM
    Oh lord!! has anyone watched a youtube vid from the youtube app on this pentile screen??? I almost wanted to cry from how bad it looked
    08-01-2011 07:32 PM
    Thought I'd come over to this side of the forums real quick to say my opinion. I am a Verizon customer waiting for the Bionic but took a look at the Photon today in the Sprint store to get an idea of what the screen on the Bionic will look like. I have to say, I had absolutely no issues at all with the pentile screen. Are people putting the screen up to their nose to be able to see this "graininess"? I don't get what all the complaining is about. By the way I'm 23 years old with perfect vision. Some people are overthinking this whole pentile thing. I think because of the negative connotation associated with pentile, that people WANT to find flaws so they do. Ever since Kellex at Droid-Life trashed the pentile screens, I've heard nothing but hate spewed. I get that the screen may not look the best to everyone, but at least when looking at the screen, don't go into it trying to see all the flaws, because you most likely will see them because you are concentrating on it so much. Everyone should at least see the screen for themselves and then form an opinion. But I think the screen is great.
    08-01-2011 07:34 PM
    I'm glad I watch tv and movies on my TV and laptop
    08-01-2011 07:35 PM
    Did anyone stop and think Motorola might have chosen the Pentile screen on purpose because it provides longer battery life and this phone will be seen more as a sturdy/good reception/world capable device marketed towards business users? I'm guessing that market research would have shown that these types of users have other things higher on their wish list for a device.

Yea, it the 3D looks a little better side-by-side and so will the within. However, when you complain about the battery life on the 3D you can't have it both ways.
    I swapped my Evo 3D out for the Photon and I have to say that I used the 3D pretty heavy and the battery lasted me all day. In other words battery life on it wasnt an issue for me. I had other issues with that phone that were unacceptable for me so I decided to swap it for the Photon.
    08-01-2011 07:38 PM
    Thought I'd come over to this side of the forums real quick to say my opinion. I am a Verizon customer waiting for the Bionic but took a look at the Photon today in the Sprint store to get an idea of what the screen on the Bionic will look like. I have to say, I had absolutely no issues at all with the pentile screen. Are people putting the screen up to their nose to be able to see this "graininess"? I don't get what all the complaining is about. By the way I'm 23 years old with perfect vision. Some people are overthinking this whole pentile thing. I think because of the negative connotation associated with pentile, that people WANT to find flaws so they do. Ever since Kellex at Droid-Life trashed the pentile screens, I've heard nothing but hate spewed. I get that the screen may not look the best to everyone, but at least when looking at the screen, don't go into it trying to see all the flaws, because you most likely will see them because you are concentrating on it so much. Everyone should at least see the screen for themselves and then form an opinion. But I think the screen is great.

I noticed it as soon as my home screen came up. I had an Evo 3d before the photon and as an ex Evo 4g and 3D owner you can notice it right away with out "looking closely" lol
    08-01-2011 07:42 PM
    So, let's hear from you folks that have it. Is this an accurate representation? This is something that is keeping me from buying this device. And to me, that looks representation looks bad.

Thanks-
    Yes. His example is spot on! That is how the screen looks and I have had three of them already. I love everything about the phone and returned the 3D for it. Might be going back because this screen really bothers me. Why Motorola? Why?
    08-01-2011 07:43 PM
    I just dont get these screen issues. I just sold my 3D today because i like this photon sooo much more! I actually think the screen is better! And ive had BOTH Evos.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    08-01-2011 07:48 PM
    Yes. His example is spot on! That is how the screen looks and I have had three of them already. I love everything about the phone and returned the 3D for it. Might be going back because this screen really bothers me. Why Motorola? Why?
    I not going back to da 3D. Sorry, I did notice it when looking @ photos & it was an negative.
    08-01-2011 07:51 PM
    But @ least I can make calls on this phone without all the drop calls the Evo 3D gave me. You don't see it when surfing the web. So I can accept it.
    08-01-2011 07:56 PM
    I was the biggest opponent of the PenTile Screen when the D3 came out, but now I can understand why they use it. In sunshine it's barely noticeable, and even looks really good. I can almost guarantee that you will get used to the screen. Also, if anyone has ever used the Storm and Storm 2, there was a "color banding" issue that is very reminiscent of the PenTile Screens on the new Motorola phones. With the Storms a software update made it look much better. I wonder if a software update could fix a lot of the "pixelation" issues that Motorola's have now? Food for thought...
    08-01-2011 08:04 PM
    With the brightness turned down, it's pretty much a non-factor, although as mentioned, when viewing photos or videos the colors can look washed out with a lack of detail. Cranking up the brightness not only burns my retinas, but really shows off that screen door effect. I'm not noticing any lag when scrolling, though, and I switched out motoblur with LPP.
    08-01-2011 08:50 PM
    I think the screen is better then the 3D. I mean sometimes that 3D would give me a headache. However the 3D was better then the 4G(Evo). Maybe I left the 3D on too long. Cause I my eyes would still see it when I went to 2D. The texture of the screen felt funny, I love how smooth the Photon is. But that is not why I return the 3D. It kept dropping my calls & my 3G Internet was going real slow don't know why? Wifi was blazing, but 3G was slacking. I perfer this Screen to the 3D looks OK to me. Going to look closer for these lines y'all talking about to see if I see them.
    What do you mean you left it in 3D to long? It's only 3D if you are taking and looking at 3D pictures or watching a 3D video on youtube, other then that the phone is not in 3D because you haven the 3D switch on.

EVO-LUTION 3D
    08-01-2011 08:57 PM
    I should've been looking @
    photos videos youtube 3D that long. It was cool for the first few days then couldn't stand to look @ pics or video with that Evo 3D. I did turn it off and took that thing back. 30 days if I don't like the Pentile screen this will go back also. But I like it so far.
    08-01-2011 09:13 PM
    I think because of the negative connotation associated with pentile, that people WANT to find flaws so they do. Ever since Kellex at Droid-Life trashed the pentile screens, I've heard nothing but hate spewed. I get that the screen may not look the best to everyone, but at least when looking at the screen, don't go into it trying to see all the flaws, because you most likely will see them because you are concentrating on it so much. Everyone should at least see the screen for themselves and then form an opinion. But I think the screen is great.

For me, I had no idea having a Pentile screen was even a bad thing (although I supposed you'd argue that point). I never heard anything negative about it before I got the phone, as I mentioned, I had only heard some rumors but never gave it much thought. I never heard anyone bashing it, just saw it mentioned a couple times that it had one, I didn't know it would be any different than an average screen.

I have never heard of any Kellex nor have I ever been to Droid-Life.

I am definitely not trying to look for any flaws (nor do I WANT to find any), in fact I've been trying my hardest to ignore them. When I first started playing with the phone I just thought it was blur and it was supposed to look like that.... then I got Launcher Pro and started to take pictures and browse the web and realized it was the Pentile screen.

Picture taken with my Evo 4G (with on editing or photoshopping, uploaded straight from my Evo):

If you can't see the grid, the screen door effect, or checkerboard effect there, then you must be blind.
    08-01-2011 10:24 PM
    This is a deal breaker for me..... Sorry Pentile screen, I will not buy the Photon. Will get the Galaxy S 2
    If that business with all the dots is what's happening in Photos and video and my EVO 4G screen is actually better, then I can hold off to see if they fix it in software or if the screen is just plane flawed. Not rushing into a phone purchase that's likely to be returned. And I SOOO wanted the Photon until I heard all of this. The only world phone left is the smaller screened XPRT. I will be checking that forum to see if the screen problem exists with that one too.
    08-01-2011 10:39 PM
    What you need to do is to look at a photo or video with subtle shades of the same color. Something like fog or smoke will show it well, and you'll get muddiness (lack of detail) in shadows. This comes from an inadequate colorspace and perhaps attempts to dither to represent other shades.

They put the memory in the wrong place on this thing. They should have devoted it to video, rather than giving us extra useless storage space that is unusable for installing apps.
    What? I need to know more about this issue with storage space and it being unusable for installing apps. How can this happen with onboard memory? That was one of the chief reason I was looking at this phone since my EVO4G is so low on memory and I've moved everything to the SD card that would run on it (not much).
    08-01-2011 10:41 PM
    So, let's hear from you folks that have it. Is this an accurate representation? This is something that is keeping me from buying this device. And to me, that looks representation looks bad.

Thanks-
    Mines actually looks a lot closer to the image that says "this is how it should look". To me this screen I afar better than the evo 3d screen especially when watching movies on netflix. I noticed that the evo 3d smoothed out the edges on just about everything but the photon seems to bring out the sharpness of just about everything, maybe due to the pentile display, and I for one like the sharper edges. This is one of the reasons why I switched from the evo 3d.
    08-01-2011 10:44 PM
    I have 3 motorola phones with the pentile screen: Motorola Atrix 4G, Droid X2 and the Droid 3. I also have an HTC Evo 3d, HTC sensation and a Samsung Galaxy S2. The only screen that is clearly better is the Samsung screen. I watch netflix on the Motorola phones with absolutely no complaints about the displays. I really think this is more of a personal taste issue than anything else. My favorite phone of all the above mentioned phones is the Droid 3. I absolutely love using this phone and it has the best keyboard to date of any Android phone that has been released thus far.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you need so many phones? All of those phones can't be on the same family plan, because you can't get the Atrix 4G anywhere but AT&T and the Droids are Verizon phones. Either you're a secret agent, have multiple identities, are a review tech, or have your wife and teenagers on a family plan and your self on another?? Just saying. That's a lot of phones in one fam. All smart phones?
    08-01-2011 10:46 PM
    I agree my old Epic 4g had a very nice screen (when it wasn't force closing every app) and I agree 3D cr@p gives me migraines, but I bought the photon for the 10 hrs of talk time so I didn't have to install some ungodly huge extended battery hanging off the back end like a booty shaking video. I could care less if it's a bit grainy, it honestly doesn't look any different than my epic with a screen protector/film on it.
    I've got just such a "ghetto booty" extended battery hanging off the back of my EVO 4G. And to make that "ghetto booty" extended battery seem even plumper, I got the Combined Seido extended battery case. LOL!!! It's the CoCo of Smart phones now. LOL!!!!
    08-01-2011 10:50 PM
    I don't mind the pentile on my D3. The pattern is noticeable to me sometimes but most often it isn't. It certainly isn't enough to swing a choice for me. I think that the superior power consumption and outdoor visibility more than make up for it. I know the Super AMOLED+ has very vibrant colors, but I find saturation to be like sugar--a lot less exciting as I get older.
    Did you say "Outdoor visibility?" And the D3 is a world phone too, isn't it?
    08-01-2011 10:51 PM
    For me, I had no idea having a Pentile screen was even a bad thing (although I supposed you'd argue that point). I never heard anything negative about it before I got the phone, as I mentioned, I had only heard some rumors but never gave it much thought. I never heard anyone bashing it, just saw it mentioned a couple times that it had one, I didn't know it would be any different than an average screen.

I have never heard of any Kellex nor have I ever been to Droid-Life.

I am definitely not trying to look for any flaws (nor do I WANT to find any), in fact I've been trying my hardest to ignore them. When I first started playing with the phone I just thought it was blur and it was supposed to look like that.... then I got Launcher Pro and started to take pictures and browse the web and realized it was the Pentile screen.

Picture taken with my Evo 4G (with on editing or photoshopping, uploaded straight from my Evo):

If you can't see the grid, the screen door effect, or checkerboard effect there, then you must be blind.
    Ok, that's pretty obvious. My EVO 4G looks better than this and the photo and video performance (both watching and filming) is awesome, so I'm going to wait to see if this is fixed in a software update before I make a move toward this phone.
    08-01-2011 10:58 PM
    I replaced an Epic for the Photon. The Epic screen is brighter indoors but almost useless in sunlight. I haven't noticed any problems with the Photon's screen while watching videos from YouTube or Netflix and I can use it out doors.
    08-01-2011 11:01 PM
    you people are all ridiculous. get a grip for god sakes. nitpick much?
    08-01-2011 11:32 PM
182 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD