Pentile screen?

luvbug

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
But @ least I can make calls on this phone without all the drop calls the Evo 3D gave me. You don't see it when surfing the web. So I can accept it.

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I was the biggest opponent of the PenTile Screen when the D3 came out, but now I can understand why they use it. In sunshine it's barely noticeable, and even looks really good. I can almost guarantee that you will get used to the screen. Also, if anyone has ever used the Storm and Storm 2, there was a "color banding" issue that is very reminiscent of the PenTile Screens on the new Motorola phones. With the Storms a software update made it look much better. I wonder if a software update could fix a lot of the "pixelation" issues that Motorola's have now? Food for thought...

l1fe

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
With the brightness turned down, it's pretty much a non-factor, although as mentioned, when viewing photos or videos the colors can look washed out with a lack of detail. Cranking up the brightness not only burns my retinas, but really shows off that screen door effect. I'm not noticing any lag when scrolling, though, and I switched out motoblur with LPP.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I think the screen is better then the 3D. I mean sometimes that 3D would give me a headache. However the 3D was better then the 4G(Evo). Maybe I left the 3D on too long. Cause I my eyes would still see it when I went to 2D. The texture of the screen felt funny, I love how smooth the Photon is. But that is not why I return the 3D. It kept dropping my calls & my 3G Internet was going real slow don't know why? Wifi was blazing, but 3G was slacking. I perfer this Screen to the 3D looks OK to me. Going to look closer for these lines y'all talking about to see if I see them.

What do you mean you left it in 3D to long? It's only 3D if you are taking and looking at 3D pictures or watching a 3D video on youtube, other then that the phone is not in 3D because you haven the 3D switch on.

EVO-LUTION 3D

luvbug

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I should've been looking @
photos videos youtube 3D that long. It was cool for the first few days then couldn't stand to look @ pics or video with that Evo 3D. I did turn it off and took that thing back. 30 days if I don't like the Pentile screen this will go back also. But I like it so far.

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I think because of the negative connotation associated with pentile, that people WANT to find flaws so they do. Ever since Kellex at Droid-Life trashed the pentile screens, I've heard nothing but hate spewed. I get that the screen may not look the best to everyone, but at least when looking at the screen, don't go into it trying to see all the flaws, because you most likely will see them because you are concentrating on it so much. Everyone should at least see the screen for themselves and then form an opinion. But I think the screen is great.

For me, I had no idea having a Pentile screen was even a bad thing (although I supposed you'd argue that point). I never heard anything negative about it before I got the phone, as I mentioned, I had only heard some rumors but never gave it much thought. I never heard anyone bashing it, just saw it mentioned a couple times that it had one, I didn't know it would be any different than an average screen.

I have never heard of any Kellex nor have I ever been to Droid-Life.

I am definitely not trying to look for any flaws (nor do I WANT to find any), in fact I've been trying my hardest to ignore them. When I first started playing with the phone I just thought it was blur and it was supposed to look like that.... then I got Launcher Pro and started to take pictures and browse the web and realized it was the Pentile screen.

Picture taken with my Evo 4G (with on editing or photoshopping, uploaded straight from my Evo):

BeEqx.jpg

If you can't see the grid, the screen door effect, or checkerboard effect there, then you must be blind.

Last edited:

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
This is a deal breaker for me..... Sorry Pentile screen, I will not buy the Photon. Will get the Galaxy S 2

If that business with all the dots is what's happening in Photos and video and my EVO 4G screen is actually better, then I can hold off to see if they fix it in software or if the screen is just plane flawed. Not rushing into a phone purchase that's likely to be returned. And I SOOO wanted the Photon until I heard all of this. The only world phone left is the smaller screened XPRT. I will be checking that forum to see if the screen problem exists with that one too.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
What you need to do is to look at a photo or video with subtle shades of the same color. Something like fog or smoke will show it well, and you'll get muddiness (lack of detail) in shadows. This comes from an inadequate colorspace and perhaps attempts to dither to represent other shades.

They put the memory in the wrong place on this thing. They should have devoted it to video, rather than giving us extra useless storage space that is unusable for installing apps.

What? I need to know more about this issue with storage space and it being unusable for installing apps. How can this happen with onboard memory? That was one of the chief reason I was looking at this phone since my EVO4G is so low on memory and I've moved everything to the SD card that would run on it (not much).

hrrslmpk

May 17, 2011
Visit site
So, let's hear from you folks that have it. Is this an accurate representation? This is something that is keeping me from buying this device. And to me, that looks representation looks bad.

Thanks-
Mines actually looks a lot closer to the image that says "this is how it should look". To me this screen I afar better than the evo 3d screen especially when watching movies on netflix. I noticed that the evo 3d smoothed out the edges on just about everything but the photon seems to bring out the sharpness of just about everything, maybe due to the pentile display, and I for one like the sharper edges. This is one of the reasons why I switched from the evo 3d.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
I have 3 motorola phones with the pentile screen: Motorola Atrix 4G, Droid X2 and the Droid 3. I also have an HTC Evo 3d, HTC sensation and a Samsung Galaxy S2. The only screen that is clearly better is the Samsung screen. I watch netflix on the Motorola phones with absolutely no complaints about the displays. I really think this is more of a personal taste issue than anything else. My favorite phone of all the above mentioned phones is the Droid 3. I absolutely love using this phone and it has the best keyboard to date of any Android phone that has been released thus far.:)

Just out of curiosity, why do you need so many phones? All of those phones can't be on the same family plan, because you can't get the Atrix 4G anywhere but AT&T and the Droids are Verizon phones. Either you're a secret agent, have multiple identities, are a review tech, or have your wife and teenagers on a family plan and your self on another?? Just saying. That's a lot of phones in one fam. All smart phones?

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
I agree my old Epic 4g had a very nice screen (when it wasn't force closing every app) and I agree 3D cr@p gives me migraines, but I bought the photon for the 10 hrs of talk time so I didn't have to install some ungodly huge extended battery hanging off the back end like a booty shaking video. I could care less if it's a bit grainy, it honestly doesn't look any different than my epic with a screen protector/film on it.

I've got just such a "ghetto booty" extended battery hanging off the back of my EVO 4G. And to make that "ghetto booty" extended battery seem even plumper, I got the Combined Seido extended battery case. LOL!!! It's the CoCo of Smart phones now. LOL!!!!:cool:

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
I don't mind the pentile on my D3. The pattern is noticeable to me sometimes but most often it isn't. It certainly isn't enough to swing a choice for me. I think that the superior power consumption and outdoor visibility more than make up for it. I know the Super AMOLED+ has very vibrant colors, but I find saturation to be like sugar--a lot less exciting as I get older.

Did you say "Outdoor visibility?" And the D3 is a world phone too, isn't it?

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
For me, I had no idea having a Pentile screen was even a bad thing (although I supposed you'd argue that point). I never heard anything negative about it before I got the phone, as I mentioned, I had only heard some rumors but never gave it much thought. I never heard anyone bashing it, just saw it mentioned a couple times that it had one, I didn't know it would be any different than an average screen.

I have never heard of any Kellex nor have I ever been to Droid-Life.

I am definitely not trying to look for any flaws (nor do I WANT to find any), in fact I've been trying my hardest to ignore them. When I first started playing with the phone I just thought it was blur and it was supposed to look like that.... then I got Launcher Pro and started to take pictures and browse the web and realized it was the Pentile screen.

Picture taken with my Evo 4G (with on editing or photoshopping, uploaded straight from my Evo):

BeEqx.jpg

If you can't see the grid, the screen door effect, or checkerboard effect there, then you must be blind.

Ok, that's pretty obvious. My EVO 4G looks better than this and the photo and video performance (both watching and filming) is awesome, so I'm going to wait to see if this is fixed in a software update before I make a move toward this phone.

Sirike

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I replaced an Epic for the Photon. The Epic screen is brighter indoors but almost useless in sunlight. I haven't noticed any problems with the Photon's screen while watching videos from YouTube or Netflix and I can use it out doors.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

Well, sure, in THIS picture at THIS resolution, I can see the effect. However, in real life and at normal viewing distances, I can't. Period.

So, seriously folks, if you don't like the screen, don't buy the phone. But please stop trying to tell those of us who don't see the effect that we're blind and/or need to get our eyes checked. And why are you so invested in our agreement with you, anyways?

MacBook

May 17, 2010
Visit site
[QUOTEIf you can't see the grid, the screen door effect, or checkerboard effect there, then you must be blind.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you! Its so obvious that its grainy as hell. Maybe if you had a phone that had this same display before the photon then thats the only way that I can see people not being able to notice it... the Evo 3D has a far better display but that and sense 3.0 are the only things I miss about that buggy phone... Now if I can only get used to the home and menu keys being swapped ill be good to go:p

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, sure, in THIS picture at THIS resolution, I can see the effect. However, in real life and at normal viewing distances, I can't. Period.

That's great. Really. I wish I was that lucky, because for me, it looks like that in real life and at normal viewing distances.

But please stop trying to tell those of us who don't see the effect that we're blind and/or need to get our eyes checked. And why are you so invested in our agreement with you, anyways?

I don't care if everyone agrees with me, I just started this topic to make sure I wasn't the only one who was noticing it. I have only played with one, so I thought perhaps mine was just buggy. When I remarked that "if you can't see ... there, then you must be blind" because I was and still am absolutely sure that anyone with decent vision can see it. Does that mean I think you must be blind if you can't see it in your day to day use? No. I was simply saying, it is impossible to say it is not there in that specific photo I uploaded. I wanted to clear any doubt that this thing was all in my head.

Cool?

Also, I have terrible long distance vision (I wear contacts for it and see fine however), but have always had good close up vision. I'm fairly certain 9 inches (yes I measured) is not an unusual distance to hold your phone away from your eyes.

agreeing stuffs... Now if I can only get used to the home and menu keys being swapped ill be good to go:p

No kidding. If only there was someway to actually change their mappings, but that would probably require root and God knows what else.

So is this a software or hardware issue? I'm hoping software so it can be fixed in an update or rooting.

It's definitely looking like a hardware issue. However if you haven't used the device yet, try it out just to make sure it affects you. Some people seem to not notice it.

Reactions: Go Android!