Pentile screen?

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one hating on the Pentile screen? I heard rumors or something about it before I got my phone but never gave it much thought... now that I have the phone, its glaringly obvious how terrible it looks.

The screen is just so grainy, pixelated, awful... everything looks checkerboarded.

Picture of Photon screen taken with Evo 4G (notice the checkboard like texture):

BefsQ.jpg

Now here is a picture of the Evo 4G screen taken with the Photon (notice the lack of ugly checkerboard texture):

vz6Sj.jpg

My rendition of Pentile vs NonPentile display (as close to the effect as I could get, to my eyes, almost the exact same).

KMMhY.png

An ACTUAL picture of the Pentile display taken with Evo 4G. This image has not been photoshopped or edited in anyway.

BeEqx.jpg

Last edited:

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's pretty bad to my eyes too. Try watching a netflix video and see how grainy the picture is, especially on the skin tones. I watched the same netflix video on my Evo 4g and it didn't have any of those drawbacks.

halmo20#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I feel the same. I'm going to give it couple of weeks and if it still bothers me, I'm returning it.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Is this a bug that could be easily fixed with an update or was it made like that?

They're made like that. There's been quite a bit of hubub about Moto's Pentile screens. Some hate it, others don't notice a difference. Some notice it but don't really care. I'd say general opinion leans toward being negative though.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I also hate it, but love most of the other stuff. May be a deal-killer for me. Took the 3d back, amid this might meet the same fate.

If they just made it support more colors, it would be fine. Good even.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one hating on the Pentile screen? I heard rumors or something about it before I got my phone but never gave it much thought... now that I have the phone, its glaringly obvious how terrible it looks.

The screen is just so grainy, pixelated, awful... everything looks checkerboarded.

Picture of Photon screen taken with Evo 4G (notice the checkboard like texture):

BefsQ.jpg

Now here is a picture of the Evo 4G screen taken with the Photon (notice the lack of ugly checkerboard texture):

vz6Sj.jpg

Can you take a picture of the same image?

kkwus74

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
They're made like that. There's been quite a bit of hubub about Moto's Pentile screens. Some hate it, others don't notice a difference. Some notice it but don't really care. I'd say general opinion leans toward being negative though.

Why is it made like that?? It has the same screen as the e3d but that screen looks awesome!

Beyondinferno

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say, I'm REALLY disappointed with the device. The camera is really lacking (color is washed out) video camera doesn't look as good as the NS4G 480P, scrolling in everything is blurry (low refresh rate?), blur seems like they rushed it out (buggy, poor performance).
Sometimes I'll be using it and say to myself, "holy crap, this thing IS fast" other times I want to take it back on the spot...
Also, when you remove something from your homescreen in the stock launcher, does it look like the png is corrupt? I've seen this on 2 of them and it drives me nuts.
Sorry for the rant :-\

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Funny enough, I find the screen to be very good. I see absolutely none of the effects you folks are talking about.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

luvbug

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I think the screen is better then the 3D. I mean sometimes that 3D would give me a headache. However the 3D was better then the 4G(Evo). Maybe I left the 3D on too long. Cause I my eyes would still see it when I went to 2D. The texture of the screen felt funny, I love how smooth the Photon is. But that is not why I return the 3D. It kept dropping my calls & my 3G Internet was going real slow don't know why? Wifi was blazing, but 3G was slacking. I perfer this Screen to the 3D looks OK to me. Going to look closer for these lines y'all talking about to see if I see them.

Reactions: gruppe3942#AC

joe_sun

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
First post but I've lurked on occasion looking for phone info. Currently on a Hero and been looking for an upgrade.

I was at the Sprint store yesterday and they have the Photon next to the Nexus S. I have to agree with Beyondinferno. The screen did not fare well, especially when sitting next to the Nexus s (20/25 in both eyes btw) I saw the weird blurry, stuttering when scrolling and that alone was a deal breaker. I played with it side by side to the Nexus S and it didn't feel that much snappier. I was poised to walk out with one but think I'll wait for the Within.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
You may want to have your eyes examined. I'm not being at all sarcastic. I mean that in the most literal sense.

I've had my eyes checked regularly, thanks, and outside of need reading glasses I'm doing fine. I do think if you research this you'll find that some people see the effects you describe, and some don't. It's likely, as usual, that those who see a defect are more likely to report it than those who don't, thus skewing the comments to the negative.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had my eyes checked regularly, thanks, and outside of need reading glasses I'm doing fine. I do think if you research this you'll find that some people see the effects you describe, and some don't. It's likely, as usual, that those who see a defect are more likely to report it than those who don't, thus skewing the comments to the negative.

I can honestly see how some wouldn't be bothered by this screen. It looks quite good for most stuff. Not great for viewing photos or videos... or I should say that many screens are much better.

The extra resolution makes it quite sharp, but then again, it makes everything smaller.

Some will like it, and some will not. Auto-brightness works far better than the Evo 4G or 3D.

There is some good with the bad, and many will not notice the bad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital