Pentile screen?

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I do not like the Pentile screens at all. I can notice it when I am doing almost anything. I am just looking forward to a qHD Super Amoled. I think that will be my next phone. But I would return it if it bothers you. People pay good money for cell phones and plans. Better be 100% happy with purchase in my opinion. And these OEM's need to spend more time on quality instead of quanity!
Being 100% is impossible with any of these phones. I have a Droid Charge and couldn't be happier with the Super Amoled+ screen. Movies are unbelievable, but it's not a perfect phone by any means. I'm thinking a dual core Verizon LTE Galaxy SII might come as close as we might get. If that ever happens.

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem with the Droid DX2 on Verizon. Its worst with small font red or green letters - the words become illegible. The pentile screens look fine to someone who looks at them for a minute because they are so bright. But living with one is a pain.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Im so glad I went with the HTC Evo 3D. Before I got mine I was looking into this device. Screen alone makes me happy! Hope this is a fake. If not it makes the device fail IMO. I still need to check it out in person before I settle my opinion! :)

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Some peoples eyes are more sensitive to different kind of effects. To the guys who say the screens look horrible...did you have the screen door effect when looking at older DLP televisions with the color wheel? They looked great to the vast majority of people but there was that small number of people who couldn't watch them. Everyones eyes are not the same and see things differently. Just a thought.....and it might not be a very good one at that..:p

BKVic
I have had a 61" DLP rear projection TV for 3 years and never noticed a problem. The pentile screen, though, is a POS. Its like going into Best Buy with the TVs' brightness and contrast tuned all the way up. They look great because they are so bright even thought the quality may suck.

The nearest comparison to a TV would be to early 480 line plasmas where you could see the pixels.

mgiven

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone stop and think Motorola might have chosen the Pentile screen on purpose because it provides longer battery life and this phone will be seen more as a sturdy/good reception/world capable device marketed towards business users? I'm guessing that market research would have shown that these types of users have other things higher on their wish list for a device.

Yea, it the 3D looks a little better side-by-side and so will the within. However, when you complain about the battery life on the 3D you can't have it both ways.

andoman

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree my old Epic 4g had a very nice screen (when it wasn't force closing every app) and I agree 3D cr@p gives me migraines, but I bought the photon for the 10 hrs of talk time so I didn't have to install some ungodly huge extended battery hanging off the back end like a booty shaking video. I could care less if it's a bit grainy, it honestly doesn't look any different than my epic with a screen protector/film on it.

Immolate

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind the pentile on my D3. The pattern is noticeable to me sometimes but most often it isn't. It certainly isn't enough to swing a choice for me. I think that the superior power consumption and outdoor visibility more than make up for it. I know the Super AMOLED+ has very vibrant colors, but I find saturation to be like sugar--a lot less exciting as I get older.

Reactions: rkeller62

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'll second the outdoor visibility part. I took mine out into the SoCal sun today at noon, and the screen was the best I've ever seen in that much light. And, as I think I stated earlier in this thread: the screen just doesn't look bad to me. I don't see the screen door effect, and the scrolling doesn't bug me if I'm actually noticing anything at all.

I do think it's interesting how some people project their own opinions on others so strongly, to the point where they actually won't accept that something that bugs them doesn't bug some other people. And I need to add again: we're hearing mainly from the people who don't like the screen. Most people who are fine with it won't take the time to comment on it at all.

I think if anyone is considering the Photon, don't go by what people are saying here. Go try it yourself. If I'd listened to everyone about how "bad" it's supposed to be, I'd never have considered it, and I happen to think it's pretty darn good and the phone itself is mostly outstanding so far. I'm certainly enjoying it more than the Epic, and its polish makes me VERY reluctant to ever consider another Samsung product again.

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone stop and think Motorola might have chosen the Pentile screen on purpose because it provides longer battery life and this phone will be seen more as a sturdy/good reception/world capable device marketed towards business users? I'm guessing that market research would have shown that these types of users have other things higher on their wish list for a device.

Yea, it the 3D looks a little better side-by-side and so will the within. However, when you complain about the battery life on the 3D you can't have it both ways.

I have both phones, I haven't found the battery life to be any better on the Photon, and it's no more sturdy than any other Android phone I've used. A lot of these phones are very similar now, so in many cases it's going to come down to things like how the screen looks. I'm going to give it a week to see if I get used to it. But I already find myself favoring the 3D.

MacBook

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh lord!! has anyone watched a youtube vid from the youtube app on this pentile screen??? I almost wanted to cry from how bad it looked :(

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thought I'd come over to this side of the forums real quick to say my opinion. I am a Verizon customer waiting for the Bionic but took a look at the Photon today in the Sprint store to get an idea of what the screen on the Bionic will look like. I have to say, I had absolutely no issues at all with the pentile screen. Are people putting the screen up to their nose to be able to see this "graininess"? I don't get what all the complaining is about. By the way I'm 23 years old with perfect vision. Some people are overthinking this whole pentile thing. I think because of the negative connotation associated with pentile, that people WANT to find flaws so they do. Ever since Kellex at Droid-Life trashed the pentile screens, I've heard nothing but hate spewed. I get that the screen may not look the best to everyone, but at least when looking at the screen, don't go into it trying to see all the flaws, because you most likely will see them because you are concentrating on it so much. Everyone should at least see the screen for themselves and then form an opinion. But I think the screen is great.

MacBook

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I swapped my Evo 3D out for the Photon and I have to say that I used the 3D pretty heavy and the battery lasted me all day. In other words battery life on it wasnt an issue for me. I had other issues with that phone that were unacceptable for me so I decided to swap it for the Photon.

MacBook

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thought I'd come over to this side of the forums real quick to say my opinion. I am a Verizon customer waiting for the Bionic but took a look at the Photon today in the Sprint store to get an idea of what the screen on the Bionic will look like. I have to say, I had absolutely no issues at all with the pentile screen. Are people putting the screen up to their nose to be able to see this "graininess"? I don't get what all the complaining is about. By the way I'm 23 years old with perfect vision. Some people are overthinking this whole pentile thing. I think because of the negative connotation associated with pentile, that people WANT to find flaws so they do. Ever since Kellex at Droid-Life trashed the pentile screens, I've heard nothing but hate spewed. I get that the screen may not look the best to everyone, but at least when looking at the screen, don't go into it trying to see all the flaws, because you most likely will see them because you are concentrating on it so much. Everyone should at least see the screen for themselves and then form an opinion. But I think the screen is great.

I noticed it as soon as my home screen came up. I had an Evo 3d before the photon and as an ex Evo 4g and 3D owner you can notice it right away with out "looking closely" lol

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
So, let's hear from you folks that have it. Is this an accurate representation? This is something that is keeping me from buying this device. And to me, that looks representation looks bad.

Thanks-
Yes. His example is spot on! That is how the screen looks and I have had three of them already. I love everything about the phone and returned the 3D for it. Might be going back because this screen really bothers me. Why Motorola? Why?

aaron130

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I just dont get these screen issues. I just sold my 3D today because i like this photon sooo much more! I actually think the screen is better! And ive had BOTH Evos.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

luvbug

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Yes. His example is spot on! That is how the screen looks and I have had three of them already. I love everything about the phone and returned the 3D for it. Might be going back because this screen really bothers me. Why Motorola? Why?
I not going back to da 3D. Sorry, I did notice it when looking @ photos & it was an negative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome