I am experiencing extremely slow 3G speeds in NYC on the Photon. Anybody else own/use the photon in NYC? Would any of you try running the speedtest.net app on your phone while in 3G (turn 4G off)? I am getting average about 0.16MBPS down which is bad even for 3G.

I called Sprint about the issue and they said it was problems with the network in NYC but I am a bit skeptical. Anybody else experiencing the same thing in NYC? Thanks
    08-05-2011 12:27 PM
    I just installed and ran a test:
    1.1mbps download
    .709mbps upload
    08-05-2011 07:38 PM
    I am also experiencing extremely slow speeds down in Miami.

Under wireless settings and then mobile networks try changing it from any cdma to Automatic.

This has worked for some people.
    08-06-2011 10:36 PM
    in my area of Conn I go from .1 to .7 down (note this was on an evo 4g - 3g mode only) I think Sprint's network is really stranined (with such churn like they have I don't know how)

I'm thinking about leaving AT&T and finally switching over to Sprint - last month our 2 phones had a $50 overage for data :-( and I want to pick this Photon. Just worried about data speeds :-(
    08-08-2011 11:44 AM
    Wow that seems sorta slow! Here in VT we get some bad 3G speeds in some areas of town. I saw some "How To" I will try and find them. I know it has worked for some folks over in the E3D forums.
    08-08-2011 12:19 PM
    I don't own a Photon, but I have an Epic 4G and I live in NYC. I notice some network problems where I don't get as many bars anymore or where the signal is weak. I also called Sprint and they said they were doing some upgrades and that might affect the signal. Who knows, though. I know in my office I used to get a solid 2 bars and now it got from roaming to searching to a signal all the time.
    08-08-2011 12:34 PM
    I see extremely slow 3g speeds in Chicago as well. This is not an issue with the Photon as I see it on my 3G card for my laptop as well... It has been this way since about April. To the point of it not being usable. I don't see this when I am home in Louisville, or, travel to other cities.

I talked with a Sprint representative last week and was told that they are making a lot changes to towers in the Chicago area at this time. We'll see if it improves.
    08-08-2011 12:42 PM
    I'm in nyc and I see decent 3g speeds usually about 1mbs down and .5-.7mbs up. Honestly I don't spend much time on 3g, I get 4g pretty much everywhere I go including inside my house, office and family's houses.
    08-08-2011 01:01 PM
    At my place in Queens:

74kbps download
    384kbps upload

I will test speeds in Manhattan when I get to work (near MSG)
    08-17-2011 07:08 AM
    I usually get horrible 3G speeds and can't browse the web on 4G. It just refuse to load the page. Oh, I'm in Queens.
    08-17-2011 08:38 AM
    0.15 mbps download and 0.08 upload from 8th and33rd
    08-17-2011 05:06 PM
    I live in Flushing, but work in Midtown. I don't have problems with speed in either place...when I get decent reception, that is. I just got the Photon and STILL have reception issues at my workplace. I thought it wasn't Epic, but it seems to be a Sprint issue. Could be my building, but this was not an issue a few months ago. Problems started around April and I think they've gotten worse the last week or so. I have no problems with reception in Flushing, though. Sprint can't seem to explain why my work place went from a solid and consistent 2 bars to missing signal 25% of the time.
    08-17-2011 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD