Photon Rattle

Patnet

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Would someone be kind enough to pick up their Photon and see if it rattles. Mine has a very feint rattle--sounds like a loose button maybe. I dropped the phone, tested it for breakage by shaking it and noticed the rattle.I never noticed it before and don't know if the drop caused it, or it was always there. I've got a torx screwdriver that I can use to open it, but I'm within my 30 days and don't want to get into any arguments if I have to return it. Thanks!

Patnet

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Check your sim card/SD card to see if they came loose. Otherwise, if the rattle bothers you, take it back and get a new one.

SIM and SD are tight. The rattle doesn't bother me at all. I just know that my EVO 3G was never the same after a drop where I broke the glass--kept overheating. I'd be interested to know if any other Photons rattle.It doesn't sound major.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My phone is quiet. I think the photon is built very solid so I think a rattle would definetly be worth getting checked out. Battery cover is on correctly I'm assuming as well?

anon(163908)

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine does have a faint rattle and I have never dropped it. But you really have to listen to hear it. I just assumed it was the back cover being loose. When I first bought it I literally had to pry it off the first time and just thought I must have stretched the plastics hooks on the cover. Motorola could have designed the cover better. The only fault with an otherwise perfect phone.

Patnet

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
put your hand on all the buttons to make sure they're the ones that are not rattling

Interestingly the rattle appears quieter if I hold the "power" button. Still rattles, but signifivantly less. I think we might have identified that the issue is at the "power" button. I will take it back tomorrow. It doesn't bother me but I just don't want to end up with a lemon for the next year.

Thanks for everyone's help.

cybersar

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I notice a very faint rattle at top of phone. Louder with back off and battery out. I held down in different spots and shook and it continues rattling. Phone has never been dropped to my knowledge and seems to work fine with the exception of no sound on one call.

Patnet

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
seems to work fine with the exception of no sound on one call.

The "no sound" thing is common. I would image that will be fixed in a pushed update. I get it too and before I dropped the Photon. I never really worried about drops before having had Nokia feature phones that could handle mountain bike crashes into rocks and so on. But these smartphones are delicate. My EVO 4G glass broke on a 3-foot bezel corner drop on concrete. I think a feature phone would have handled that.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Man has this rattle..Its the battery..It doesn't fit all the way into the phone. As a matter of fact its the upper left hand of the batter that makes it rattle.

maddmatt02

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I never really worried about drops before having had Nokia feature phones that could handle mountain bike crashes into rocks and so on. .

I know what you mean, I had the old 3390 I think it was, and the day I was done with it I literally threw it in the air over and over as high as I could trying to break it, but when it landed I would just pop it back together and it would continue to work, throwing it straight into a wall repeatedly couldnt kill the thing either.

I do drop my phones quite often from about a foot and a half though, I always set it in my lap in the car after I get off it and then forget its there and just slide out of the car and it falls to the ground. but so far just scratches and no broken screens/phones... hopefully I stay that lucky, OR I just stop dropping them all the time!

dstungah

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Its not the power button. I hold the power button and all other buttons on the phone without the battery, sim, or cover attached. Something INSIDE is rattling. Going to the store today to see if other photons have this issue and if they do not, swap!

aptmx

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Its not the power button. I hold the power button and all other buttons on the phone without the battery, sim, or cover attached. Something INSIDE is rattling. Going to the store today to see if other photons have this issue and if they do not, swap!

They all have this. It is the power button cap. It is not specific to your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae