Motorola Photon 4G default sdcard folder

erodik

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the new Motorola Photon 4G from Sprint. Overall it is a fine product and I'm very happy with it. However, after adding a 32GB MicroSD card to it, I was confident I'll be able to change the default sdcard folder from the internal directory (/mnt/sdcard) to the ACTUAL sdcard. To my surprise, this cannot be done.

The problem with using the internal folder is that all my music/audio apps (Amazon MP3 Player, Spotify, Audible), and reading apps (Kindle, Nook) download/sync the files automatically to the default folder (/mnt/sdcard) rather than the actual SD card. Since my MicroSD has 32GB of space and the internal "fake" SD Card has only 8GB, I'm constantly running out of space which requires me to move the files from the internal memory to the MicroSD again and again.

The worst issus is syncing. Since the default memory is the the internal rather than the SD card itself, when I move the files from the internal folder to the SD card, the syncing app thinks that the files are not on my phone and... you guested it, downloads the files I just moved to the SD card again.

Can somebody PLEASE help and tell me how can I change the default memory to be the actual MicroSD rather than the internal /mnt/sdcard?

Thank you very much.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Which sync app are you using?

If you go to settings, storage, you can change the windows media sync to the sd card.

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Where IS the micro SD slot location for the Sprint Photon? I've got the battery cover off, and don't see it, and there certainly doesn't appear to be one one externally.

Thanks,
Mark Edwards

See the white Sim card? Look to the right of Sim card, you will see a chrome rectangular metal piece. The SD card slides under the chrome part......

There is not an SD card supplied with the Photon.....

Reactions: bcbbanga4l

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem with the sd storage. I was able to get my photos taken with my camera to store on sd and videos but thats abou it.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Where does music go by default? I hope that if all my music and photos can live on the sd card, the internal memory will be enough for other stuff.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Where does music go by default? I hope that if all my music and photos can live on the sd card, the internal memory will be enough for other stuff.

Found the answer. The motorola media link defaults to putting stuff on the fake internal SD card, but there's an option to put stuff on the removable SD card. Works for me.

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Menu-> settings-> storage-> very bottom you can choose storage location. I think that's what your asking

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network

PghTopCat

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Can't you just go to the included app manager on this thing and then choose to "move to media area" (not all apps seem to have the option).

Menu - Settings - Applications - Manage Applications. . .

I think you also have to change the default media location first, as well.

Menu - Settings - Storage. . .

(I'm guessing, but, I'll bet the reason they mucked with the normal sdcard mount location was some Sprint compatibility thing - something probably wouldn't work without the appearance of an already installed sdcard or something - prolly for their Nascar application LOL) <--- Wonder if anybody could shed light on this weirdness.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance