30 Days is Fast Approaching

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, I am about 99% sure I will be returning my Motorola Photon. Make no mistake, this is the BEST piece of hardware I have ever used. The screen is great (albeit a tad pixely at times), the proc is responsive and snappy, the size and weight are amazing. My biggest gripe is the fact I can not use this device for its most basic task, making a phone call with any sort of consistency. When I do make a call, no phone I've had in the past 10 years is as clear on both ends, however, all those times I answer and hear nothing are just too much for me. This "Maintenance Release" is 3 weeks in and nowhere to be seen. This is a KNOWN issue and has been for awhile, why not a quick patch to fix it up. I'm beginning to think its more than a simple software patch (might take a significant OS revision). I love the phone and intended on keeping it, but I'm leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy S2. Similar in many ways in regards to hardware, yet a "mature" enough phone since its been available elsewhere to avoid many of these types of problems. I do understand that no phone is without issue. My OG Evo had battery issues till some patches and such, but not being able to make/receive calls is unfortunately a deal breaker.

cybersar

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I hear you. I found out last week I have until the 30th to make my mind up. Problem with mine is so sporadic that if I installed the MR today and had no problems the rest of the week I wouldn't feel 100% certain it cured it. When I discovered the XPRT was having the same issue since launch and it hasn't been fixed that bothered me.

Hoping to read other peoples experience with the MR to help me decide. My first smart phone and I truly love the audio qualities on a call (when it works) compared to the other phones I have tried.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Cybersar

I know exactly how you feel about the whole "wouldn't feel 100% certain". The problems aren't massive, but they are incredible sporadic. My Swiftkey, keyboard will randomly stop correcting, and just spit out a mess of words. The call problem is just unacceptable. Pretty elementary stuff.

I'm also surprised the screen only supports 2 points of multi-touch contact. Expected more out of something cutting edge

JPD

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have two Photons... both will be returned for my money back by the end of the week... Not worth the hassle... we are going to wait for something else. I'm not a big fan of Samsung since my experience with the Moment and the Epic. My son is going to wait for the iPhone 4S. I might give it a try myself...

Thanks for the memories MOTO...

Astrolux44EVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I left Tmo for Sprint and this phone. I have tried multiple times to get my phone exchanged due to the issues noted above plus the proximity sensor issue. The Sprint employees will not honor my exchange request because "a software fix is coming". I am so upset with them that not only will I return the phone, but I am also considering dropping Sprint. I realllly don't want to go back to Verizon (don't get me started) and I am thinking that Metro PCS might be the right way to go. Unlimited talk, text, data, AND rhapsody for $60 a month?? Seems great in theory. If only the Metro PCS phone selection was better... I am kind of torn here.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
My only thought Astrolux44EVO is that if you really like the phone, the OTA update is supposed to be rolling out soon (and by soon I believe it should be sometime today or tomorrow). There is no value in Sprint replacing your phone because of the high percentage of phones that are having these problems. The likelihood of getting another with the same issues is very high. Metro PCS just doesn't have anywhere near the hardware that I would hope to have. The coverage is good, and the price can't be beat, but its still not viable in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles