09-27-2011 09:42 PM
89 1234
tools
    I'm a Pre Minus converted Android user, since the Day of Darkness in August when i found out that the Pre3 was as far away from my hands as the very Moon in the sky.

My brain is overwhelmed with the vast selection of phones, not to mention the speed at which new phones come flying out of the manufacturers.

I checked out the 3D: ouch, that hurt my eyeballs! My friend has the Epic, but it didn't "wow" me. I decided on the Photon after reading several reviews and seeing the update that fixed a lot of problems in the first month. I also figured that since Google bought the cow, it would be better to graze in those fields - right at the source (code).

I get my webOS fix from a near constant use of the Touchpad while at home. Only thing I am needing now is freetethering through an app, and I am done with thinking about new phones for a long time. Until some Asian company buys webOS and comes out with a solid great big device to play with my Touchpad: then, I'm all in, baby!
    09-08-2011 05:39 PM
    I've been debating this issue of returning from the Galaxy S2 for quite some time. Even put off buying the Photon for awhile while waiting. Now owning the device, and with the date fast approaching I need to make up my mind. I love the Photon. Great hardware, reception is definitely above average and I don't notice the screen. I wish battery life was batter (as with any smart phone I see this being an issue) and I wish my data speeds were more consistent (its getting pretty bad with 3g, ranges from .05 to 1.5 and there seems to be NOTHING that fixes it or lets me draw conclusions about it.

I like the idea of the 4.5" screen (I'm 6'4" my pockets are all big enough), Super AMOLED Plus and what appears to be one of the best battery management systems on a phone. I'm definitely concerned about their update history and the fact it took so long to release this phone in the US (a pretty large cell phone market). I'm sure both phones are great, but its tough to make a decision when it is clearly splitting hairs.

Also to add to the update posts. I loved my Evo 4G on Froyo, I thought Gingerbread KILLED that phone.
    09-09-2011 08:16 AM
    For me I was waiting to hear at least SOMETHING about the GSII before making any final decisions on a phone. My Pre broke about 9 months ago, and I was unwilling to pay the $100 for unsurance to get a new one, so I decided to wing it with my old Treo 755p. That also ended up breaking big time in mid-August, right around the time I was contemplating the GSII (well it had been months of reviews and impressions, but there still wasn't anything definitive for the US). I had to make a decision: get a crappy old phone like one of my family members old Razor and wait for he GSII to be announced, or get the similarly spec'ed Photon. After much consideration, I chose the Photon and believe I made the right decision.

My Photon score after having it for 3 weeks:

Display - 9.0 (Very good, however it could be a little more vibrant and the blacks a little darker, otherwise the sensitivity for the touch is phenomenal, up there with iPhone 4.)

Call Quality - 10.0 (The best I've ever had. It's so clear I want to use the term "HD" but can't without sounding like an *****.)

Reception - 9.0 (It's better than any phone I've had, however there are still some places that I can't get great reception, notably my house, where I can make a phone call, but I can't hold it to my ear or else it'll disconnect 1/4 times.)

Media - 10.0 (Emulators, Wiimotes, Micro HDMI: portable gaming system in your pocket, with some of the best games ever.)

Internet 9.0 - [Browsing the web is perfect for a phone. I'm using the Dolphin browser, so far the best mobile browser I've used. Connection speeds could be better, sometimes it takes a while to load a page when on 3G; and 4G, while I don't use it often, isn't what I was expecting (basically thinking that I'd be able to replace my home internet with this, not that I ever would actually do that.)]

Kickstand 11.0 - All phones should have this.

So back to the GSII, I won't be getting it.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    09-10-2011 02:25 AM
    benefit of working for sprint is i have the photon, will be keeping the photon. Getting the GS2 and will be keeping it. I loved my epic so i dont know why so many ppl talk bad about it. Out of the box the epic did suck but i dont leave anything stock. So that wasnt an issue for me. I am loving the photon and will not talk bad about it but the screen does affect my decision a bit. i do miss the amoled and no i am not flaming or wanting to be flamed for my opinion. By no means is the photon bad and i love it. just think i might like the gs2 a bit more for my tastes.
    09-10-2011 03:34 PM
    Anyone actually decide to take the plunge? What are your thoughts after actually using the Epic Touch 4G?
    09-16-2011 08:38 AM
    I returned the PHOTON back on the 26th of August. I loved the PHOTON but wanted to be sure that the call issues were going to be fixed... I was really tempted to get the GSIIET but actually chose to get the PHOTON back... I just really like the phone and couldn't see spending the extra $100 for the GSII... I originally got the PHOTON from Sprint for $200... bought it this time from Best Buy for $100....

I see it as a win for me... I really like the PHOTON
    09-16-2011 09:29 AM
    That's awesome, JPD!
    09-16-2011 12:27 PM
    I've had the Photon for a few days now and I love it!

I can't imagine trading it in for anything else.
    09-16-2011 01:41 PM
    I just got the photon. Coming from the 3d. Love it so far. The signal strenghth is amazing!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    I made the same switch I love sense and all but I was having problems with my signal strength aswell if you don't mind me asking what city and state are you in also go launcher and sbp shell are nice
    09-16-2011 02:23 PM
    I am keeping mine. After the update I have not had any problems. The car dock is awesome and I got two of the desktop docks really cheap. There are still some shortcomings like: no setting to turn off mobile web browsing, extra taps to send a test message, no auto HTML email, some problems with different music files (popping and skipping), dropped calls (probably Sprint network problem)and some other minor issues that won't convince me to take it back. The call quality and volume alone are enough to live with some of the bugs.
    Dude I had same problems with music. Use Google's music app you can get it off market

09-16-2011 03:21 PM
    I just got the photon. Coming from the 3d. Love it so far. The signal strenghth is amazing!

I came from the 3VO too. For what reason(s) did you make the switch to the Photon?
    09-16-2011 03:52 PM
    I'm at my local Sprint store right now and I must admit that the Epic Touch is pretty and is a bit faster than my MoPho. It launched EVERY YouTube video first and it doesn't seem much bigger. If Sammy didn't get beat up by releasing slow updates and I did not have a MoPho, I would definitely get the E4T.
    09-16-2011 05:59 PM
    I just left the sprint store and the epic touch is nice and all but the resolution is noticeable not that it would stop me from getting it if I wanted one but I wonder if the 3vo guy's that tried to stop me from getting the mofo will hate this phone aswell
    09-16-2011 07:14 PM
    I have seen tons of reviews, and even though sgs2 edges the mopho, I bought the phone because Motorola got bought out by google. Updates are likely to be mainlined right into the photon's veins! Purple haze, yo!
    Derek_B likes this.
    09-16-2011 09:51 PM
    Signal quality and 3g speeds were awful on the 3d. I am getting awesome reception now, and my wife can actually hear me now when im on speaker phone!
    I experienced the same thing!
    09-17-2011 12:42 AM
    I have been using the SII all day and will be returning it and keeping my Photon. Photon is just an all around better phone.
    09-17-2011 02:49 AM
    Having come from a number of Photons with issues (I reallly tried to keep loving it) and going to an GSII there is no way I would go back. The call quality / earpiece and speaker are every bit as good. The overall experience is much faster...no hesitation or weird flashing during scrolling. Very light which is great.

I really didn't like the Photon screen due to the Pentile and I realize that was just my preference. My eyes are 54 years old now and I love the bigger screen. ghd is nice after seeing it both on the Photon and the Evo 3d but it makes things awfully small.

3G data (I have no 4g where I live or where I am currently) is fast...while it's subjective, I feel as though it loads pages faster than the Photon did but I have no way to quantitatively confirm that.

The form factor /shape of the Photon was wonderful..I think MOTO did a great job with that but when I combine the lightness of the Samsung, even in a TPU case and the screen real estate, it's rather hard to beat. I'm sure the larger size may turn some off but it's darn near perfect for me. I picked up my old EVO 4G a bit ago to list it for sale and it feels like a paperweight!

I would never go back.....and honestly, I don't think the Google/ Moto thing, even if it goes through is going to have any impact on phone updates for quite some time to come. It's not even due to be finalized till next spring some time...if it finally happens for real.

I need a phone that works...not something that gives me issues and even with the third Photon still shuts down just for no reason a couple of times a day.
    Septiformus likes this.
    09-17-2011 09:23 AM
    The form factor /shape of the Photon was wonderful..I think MOTO did a great job with that but when I combine the lightness of the Samsung, even in a TPU case and the screen real estate, it's rather hard to beat.
    While the E4GT does have a bigger screen, it doesn't have more screen real estate. At least not in the way I think of "screen real estate". The E4GT has 33% fewer pixels than the MoPho, which means it has less real estate for the OS to put things on.
    09-17-2011 11:25 AM
    Returned my Photon and picked up the Epic 4G Touch yesterday, no comparison the Epic wins hands down by a lot. I wanted to like the Photon but it had too many issues with slowing down during use and the pentile screen was driving me crazy. I really like the resolution of the Epic, many things were too small on the Photon.
    Photon was barely a step up from my EVO 4G.
    If you are considering swapping your Photon for an Epic Touch do it!
    09-17-2011 02:01 PM
    Keeping photon for sure!

09-17-2011 03:11 PM
    Messed around with a a epic touch today and it felt like how it feels if I put my 22" monitor on 800x600 resolution where it makes the icon super big. Still has the same cheap feel like all samsung phones do, although it does look nice.
    09-17-2011 03:20 PM
    Okay, so, I stopped by the Sprint store today and gave the E4GT a good workout. I'll give some thoughts here, and note that although I currently have a Photon I have no vested interest in it over the E4GT. Indeed, I'll be deciding soon between the two, because my wife needs a new smartphone and will likely get a Photon whether it's mine (and I get the E4GT) or her own.

1. Build: The phone is very light, almost too light, and it's noticeably bigger than the Photon. Personally, I like the Photon in hand much better than the E4GT--the Photon just feels more solid to me. The E4GT's build quality is probably very good but the lightness made it feel a little cheap to me. Winner: Photon.

2. Screen: The E4GT's screen didn't seem noticeably better to me than the Photon's, and note that I'm one who doesn't notice the "screendoor" effect. To me, the colors on the E4GT were blown out as usual, it wasn't as bright, and I didn't like the resolution. Comparing the E4GT to the Photon side-by-side, I felt like the E4GT was something intended for a preschooler. Text was crisper on the Photon, and the screen was brighter on auto. Winner: Photon.

3. Touchscreen: I was very disappointed to find that the E4GT was displaying the same missed touches on the capacitive buttons as my Epic did. On a number of occasions, I had to hit the home and back buttons more than once to get them to register, which reminded me of one of my frustrations with the Epic. Overall, touch seemed less responsive than the Photon, which is perfect in this regard. Winner: Photon

4. Performance: I noticed some lag when switching home screens on the E4GT, pretty much identical to the sorts of lag I experience with the Photon. Nothing major, but there. Opening and running apps seemed pretty much identical. I also MUCH prefer the screen transitions on the Photon, including moving from landscape to portrait and back. Not only do I like the smoothness of the transition effect on the Photon, but it's quicker. The E4GT hesitated sometimes in changing orientation, which always bugged me on the Epic. Winner: Overall performance a tie, transitions Photon.

5. Skin: TouchWiz 4.0, which I love on my wife's Galaxy Tab 10.1, doesn't translate as well to the phone. It seemed much more cartoonish to me on the E4GT, with overly bright colors in some places and then the unpleasant dark color scheme with the calendar and such. Although the widgets seem nicer on the E4GT than the low-res widgets in the Photon's skin (proto-Blur or whatever it's called), overall I like what Motorola's done here. Winner: Photon.

6. Screen: Did I mention that the screen is really big and the resolution means everything just looks unnecessarily large? Oh, yeah, I did, but it needs to be stressed: if you're gonna give us a 4.52" screen, then give us a resolution to go with it. Otherwise everything's just blown up to no purpose.

Overall, I think that if my wife ends up needing a new phone right now, she'll likely get her own Photon and I'll keep mine. I can see no good reason to get the E4GT over the Photon, and a number of really good reasons to pick the Photon over the E4GT. I doubt we'll see a difference in real-world performance, I prefer the brightness and crispness of the Photon's screen, and the Photon just seems like the more elegant, serious, and powerful device because of the more solid build, extra heft, and screen transitions.

My personal opinion is that the E4GT might be the better-spec'ed device in some ways, and benchmarks better, but the Photon is the better smartphone overall. And that's not even to mention the likely superior Motorola radios, which I didn't get a chance to compare. But that's one of the things that's impressed me most about the Photon--I honestly don't think a smartphone can perform _better_ than the Photon as a phone.
    ScandaLeX likes this.
    09-18-2011 06:46 PM
    I love my moPho. I just wish my bluetooth didn't mess with my proximity sensor and worked as intended. I can't exchange my moPho, over my 30 days, but I wouldn't trade it for the E4GT either.

Thanks for all that info!
    09-18-2011 06:59 PM
    No thanks - the last thing I want/need is an even bigger device and screen! The photon has been great compared to the issues and problems i had all the time with my epic - I'm done with Samsung for awhile. Moto isn't perfect, but it's been solid since I got it and I'm keeping it!
    09-18-2011 07:15 PM
    Mo pho is going back. I am sure I have a defective one cause the experience is terrible. The Samsung is better in everyway so except speaker quality

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    09-18-2011 07:49 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD