K9 email question

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have installed K9 and 2 pop email accounts. K9 is not checking my accounts for email and it says Syncing disabled at the top of the screen. I can't figure out where to change that. When I go to Menu > Check mail, it will download mail, but it won't check it if I don't do it manually. Anyone know where I go to change this?

edited to add: I figured out where the setting was. Had to go into the main/default account, then settings, account settings and then the Folder Poll frequency. Whew!! So much easier to set up email on my Pre.

Last edited:

stu5797

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
does k9 load the email right away. Whenever I got a new email it would make up download every message.it was horrible

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it downloads the messages into the program. I had mail in my main acct and could open them immediately.

Now this morning, I found that K9 had only downloaded mail from my main account and not the second account. Anyone know what the problem is? There was no error showing.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
You have to set up each account individually. So if you have only told one account to download mail every 15 minutes (or whatever) the other needs to be told that, too.

By the way, that synching disabled message has nothing to do with downloading. (I think it has to do with synchronizing deletions on the server and the gadget.) My Photon is downloading mail into K9 just fine, but I get the same message.

I have the same impression of Android as you, by the way. Everything seems more complicated to do than on the Pre. On the other hand, K9 works better for me than the Pre's email program did. I have my own domain, and I like to send mail "from" my domain, and I send different types of mail "from" different addresses -- makes it easier to sort the replies into folder. I was never able to get that to really work on the Pre, but it works just fine in K9, and it was fairly obvious how to set it up. Also, when there's some communication glitch the Pre just didn't fetch mail, and generally didn't tell me there was a problem. K9 tells me whether it has reached the server to check for mail. (And for whatever reason, I got a lot of connectivity problems on the Pre, and occasional issues on the Photon.)

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Here's an issue with K9 that I just experienced. For my 2 pop accounts, I have to use gmail as the outgoing server. So, I'm receiving mail from my Cox Internet account (pop), and I have to send it out thru gmail (Cox won't allow you to use their outgoing servers unless you're directly connected to them).

So, when I reply to an email that comes into my Cox account, it is sent thru my gmail account and when the other person replies to it, it goes to my gmail account, rather than back to my cox account. I have tried putting in my Cox account in the "reply to" in the account identity, but the reply still goes to my gmail account. Is there a way to change this?

I'm loving the hardware of this phone and the apps, and think that if webOS could have had better hardware and more key apps, it would have been much more successful. When I'm using my TouchPad, it just constantly reminds me how much easier things are on webOS.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, can't help you with that one. I am faking the "from" address on both my Comcast and Fastmail accounts to send "from" my personal domain, and it's working very nicely. If you haven't tried that, you might give it a whirl, but I know that Gmail is fussy about using it to send mail "from" another account, so it might not work if you are sending through them.

mgiven

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, can't help you with that one. I am faking the "from" address on both my Comcast and Fastmail accounts to send "from" my personal domain, and it's working very nicely. If you haven't tried that, you might give it a whirl, but I know that Gmail is fussy about using it to send mail "from" another account, so it might not work if you are sending through them.
Also came over from Pre- so was looking at all email options. I downloaded and tried K9,but deleted it in favor of Gmail which is much more full featured and includes great filtering.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
But the Gmail app only works with Gmail accounts, no? I have two non-Gmail accounts, and have found K9 to be very flexible as to setting them up, setting up the return address, searching, etc.

I'm curious what features Gmail offers that other email apps don't have.

mgiven

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Gmail works with non-Gmail email accounts as well. I have 4 POP accounts from my own owned domains running though Gmail and can respond as "userID@mydomain.com" on all of them.

jena132

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem where K9 won't fetch the mail automatically, I have to do it manually.

I went into account settings and changed the polling frequency, but it always reverts back to "Never". What I change it to doesn't stick. Inbox always says "Syncing disabled"

I'm using a cox.net account and have a Samsung Nexus running ICS. It seems to send and receive okay, just have to do manual refresh

I really like k9 because you can select all - so if I don't check for awhile I can select all and delete, where as on the stock email app you have to do it message by message.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Gmail works with non-Gmail email accounts as well. I have 4 POP accounts from my own owned domains running though Gmail and can respond as "userID@mydomain.com" on all of them.
Really? The best I could get it to do was "sent on behalf of userID@mydomain.com"

I'm happy with my current set-up, though, so I'm unlikley to pursue that in the foreseeable future.

I have the same problem where K9 won't fetch the mail automatically, I have to do it manually.

I went into account settings and changed the polling frequency, but it always reverts back to "Never". What I change it to doesn't stick. Inbox always says "Syncing disabled"

I'm using a cox.net account and have a Samsung Nexus running ICS. It seems to send and receive okay, just have to do manual refresh

I really like k9 because you can select all - so if I don't check for awhile I can select all and delete, where as on the stock email app you have to do it message by message.
I do not have that problem. It always says
"Cyncing Disabled", but it also downloads my mail auomatically, on the schedule I select. Every few weeks that stops working, and I force-close K-9 with my task manager and restart it, then it works again.

I am running stock Gingerbread on a Motorola Photon, and have various email accounts.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary