Photon and Evo 3d

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Please don't start up the feud again. Currently, we are all playing nicely with each other! :p

Both phones are powerhouses in their own right!

I am simply making a statement based on the video you posted in regards to my information posted in the very first post of this thread. My response was not toward anyone specifically. I'm sorry you took it that way. :)

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's some information that explains it better than I could (link)
Wow, that link is awesome. When I was at the store and said I can see the pixels on the Photon, they looked at me like I was nuts. And yes, I can see the pixels on my Nexus too.

Why why why, cant we get IPS-LCD's in our phones!!!!!! Even the Nexus Prime is (rumored) to use a PenTile screen...ugh.

Maybe I can get used to it, I dunno. I'm not getting used to my Nexus S screen, thats for sure.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Both great phones... I like that the photon has an hdmi output. I like that it has 16 gig built-in memory. It's a snappy phone. I like the EVO 3d as well. The screen looks better imo but at the same time, the photon screen is beautiful just not to my liking... EVO comes with an 8 gb sdcard. The sdcard is not a deal breaker and they are both great phones. It seems the EVO out performs the photon, which is debatable. However, I like that HTC supports its customers customizing their phones by providing the unlocked bootloaders, etc. There are pros and cons to each phone. Ultimately it was the HTC for me, for others it may be different. Depends on the owner...
It also seems that anyone with a photon is trying to trade it for an EVO. Originally I had a little buyers remorse because of having no kickstand and no hdmi out but after having the phone for three days, I don't regret my decision at all.
My recommendation? Ask around. Read reviews (sprint.com also has some good user reviews). Go into the store and hold them. Then make your decision. Good luck!

Dude, evo 3d has hdmi out,,, it's the same port as charge. Lol, you just have to purchase the adaptor.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Here's another comparison video from a very different perspective (link).

What are your thoughts on this one?
LOL. Well, this one is certainly entertaining. Half my friends don't even have smart phones, so this is not an area where I can buy status -- my friends simply don't care (and wouldn't know which phones are "hot" even if they did care.)

One thing I liked about this review is that it gave me a feel for why you might want to buy a different interface, and how different those interfaces can be. The Sense interface is certainly more fun than the Photon's, and I was tempted for a bit, but it's also very busy, and I decided I would probably find it annoying after the novelty wore off. I widget that spat out email notifications (like the demonstration of spitting out text messages) might be nice, but I suspect a stand-alone widget would be better for my needs than the whole interface thing. I don't get enough text messages or voice mails to be worth doing anything special with them.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that link is awesome. When I was at the store and said I can see the pixels on the Photon, they looked at me like I was nuts. And yes, I can see the pixels on my Nexus too.

Why why why, cant we get IPS-LCD's in our phones!!!!!! Even the Nexus Prime is (rumored) to use a PenTile screen...ugh.

Maybe I can get used to it, I dunno. I'm not getting used to my Nexus S screen, thats for sure.

I had an EVO 3D (now the wife's) and bought a Photon yesterday. After reading the reviews, I was fully prepared to hate the Photon's screen when I got to the store. But one review had said (1) some people see it and hate it, (2) some get used to it, (3) some don't see it.

I was shocked that I didn't even see the pixelation - and I spent an hour trying with the devices side-by-side displaying the same images, same sites, same zoom level, same external store lighting. And when I asked the sales guy about it - he looked at me like I was nuts and that he'd never heard of it.

Go figure! :)

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I had an EVO 3D (now the wife's) and bought a Photon yesterday. After reading the reviews, I was fully prepared to hate the Photon's screen when I got to the store. But one review had said (1) some people see it and hate it, (2) some get used to it, (3) some don't see it.

I was shocked that I didn't even see the pixelation - and I spent an hour trying with the devices side-by-side displaying the same images, same sites, same zoom level, same external store lighting. And when I asked the sales guy about it - he looked at me like I was nuts and that he'd never heard of it.

Go figure! :)

It seems the degree of pixelation varies by device. I picked up two Photons side-by-side in a local Sprint store and I could CLEARLY see the pixels in one and could barely see them in the other. Fortunately, I have to try very hard and in the right lighting to see the pixels in the one I actually purchased! ;)

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LOL. Well, this one is certainly entertaining. Half my friends don't even have smart phones, so this is not an area where I can buy status -- my friends simply don't care (and wouldn't know which phones are "hot" even if they did care.)

One thing I liked about this review is that it gave me a feel for why you might want to buy a different interface, and how different those interfaces can be. The Sense interface is certainly more fun than the Photon's, and I was tempted for a bit, but it's also very busy, and I decided I would probably find it annoying after the novelty wore off. I widget that spat out email notifications (like the demonstration of spitting out text messages) might be nice, but I suspect a stand-alone widget would be better for my needs than the whole interface thing. I don't get enough text messages or voice mails to be worth doing anything special with them.

Yes, his videos are very entertaining and I appreciate his authenticity. Here's a review (link) he did about a pretty cool launcher that seems to have more eye candy and functionality than Sense 3.0.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, his videos are very entertaining and I appreciate his authenticity. Here's a review (link) he did about a pretty cool launcher that seems to have more eye candy and functionality than Sense 3.0.

Flossycarter is the $hit. He gives you the real deal average user review. Not all the hi tech mumbo jumbo. He calls it like he sees it. Have to respect that.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts are that they ignored the two features people here seem to care most about: the pixelated quality of the photons pentile screen, and its longer battery life. So it's a crummy review.

I have a strong personal opinion on the first and a very preliminary data point on the second.

As I posted earlier in this thread) - my eyes just plain do NOT see any pixelation in either the Photon on display or the one that I walked out with. (And reviews indicate that some people fall into this category). To me the Photon screen is a bit brighter and whiter - I certainly did NOT expect that based on reviews I read; I expected to Hate the screen when I went into the store. But those are my eyes - I would never recommend that anyone buy one without going in a store and comparing (I spent a full hour comparing just the screen).

Battery so far seems a bit stronger than the EVO 3D due to the screen - but that is likely nothing but the Day One placebo effect!

Last edited:

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It seems the degree of pixelation varies by device. I picked up two Photons side-by-side in a local Sprint store and I could CLEARLY see the pixels in one and could barely see them in the other. Fortunately, I have to try very hard and in the right lighting to see the pixels in the one I actually purchased! ;)

Me too - I have yet to see the pixelation, and have tried hard. At a glance, I don't see an obvious HW Rev# for the Photon, that I think I could see for the EVO 3D. Perhaps a HW rev level ... who knows? Anyway I'm quite happy with mine as of today :)

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I'd love to see what hardware model shows less pixelation. Hopefully there'll be a version number on the box that we can use to identify, I can't risk taking a gamble and hoping I get the better screen... The model I tinkered with in the store was absolutely horrendous, I could never deal with it on a daily basis.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I've seen 4 units (two I had, plus two shop samples) and they all looked about the same. I can see the pixels, especially in green and blue areas, but it doesn't bother me.

The screen is bright and easy to read in the sun. Maybe a little too bright. I keep it all the way down most of the time.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
^ I'd love to see what hardware model shows less pixelation. Hopefully there'll be a version number on the box that we can use to identify, I can't risk taking a gamble and hoping I get the better screen... The model I tinkered with in the store was absolutely horrendous, I could never deal with it on a daily basis.

I see no mention of HW Version on either the box, or in the Settings menu (EVO 3D had it)

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I seriously doubt hardware versions have anything to do with it. You need to take into account how many people played with the store display long before you got your grubby hands on it. The screen on mine has been simply flawless since launch day. Maybe I'm just not the type looking real hard for something to be wrong- THAT'S when you find it.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
the screen is like getting polarized sunglasses, at first you see colors depending on the windows your looking at but after time your eyes adjust and you dont notice it anymore. When i first got the Photon, i could see the pentile display and preferred the Evos screen, but after having the Photon for a couple of days i dont really notice it anymore. I like the photon better than the evo for three major reasons, Signal is way better on the Photon, i can hold a 4G signal all day where as the Evo3D it was spotty. Second is battery life, Photon gets way better battery life than my 3D, i can get 12 hours out of my Photon with 4G on the whole time, where my Evo would be dead in 5, third is speaker quality, the speaker on the Evo is so wimpy compared to the Photon. And i consider myself an HTC diehard....

dfve

May 30, 2011
Visit site
i did just the opposite, i loved my evo4g, got the e3d based on past experience with "evo", ....hated the evo cal quality, traded out for a photon...calls are incredible! loud CLEAR sound....media is great too, just no eye blurring three d too stare at...i can live with that:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678