Restart good enough?

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
As you already know, getting the battery off the MoPho is hard enough alone; then, I added an Otterbox on top of that. Needless to say, removing the battery is a b!@#$. This is my first Android (coming from BB), is a shutdown and restart good enough after installing/updating multiple apps or do I need to do battery pulls to "do it right"? And, is there an app which performs a better shutdown than me using the power button?

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
1) a shut down and restart is good enough. I do a shutdown and restart every morning just to keep my photon happy. I used to use bb and the android os, in my opinion is more stable then the bb os.

A battery pull is not a bad idea every now and then.

These phones mini computers. Do you always run your notebook or PC all the time without restarting it? No, so give these phones some love ... restart them at least once a day to clear memory and have a tabula rasa for a short period of time.

2) regarding the comment about the "bulky cases" the issue is how much protection do you want for your phone. The TPU case is nice and easy to put on and off but the protection it offers compared to the otterbox cases is not nearly the same.

I have had 4 android phones now and have used the latest bb os on my work phone. In my experience, a restart every morning or once a day (with heavy usage and multitasking on my android) keeps a happy android phone. I rarely if ever have any problems with my photon (and my last androids HTC Droid Eris, HTC evo shift. I do not count the Samsung moment android because that phone was horrid but I do not see Samsung as a company that makes good products.)

vintagetechtm (Motorola Photon 4g)

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Thanks! I agree about protection. I dropped my Photon directly on pebbled concrete and didn't worry a bit. A friend has a "slim" case for his and already has scratches on his screen from dropping it. Thanks for the heads up about restart. I haven't done many battery pulls, just wondering if they were needed at all. I may still do one every now and then just to be safe, but I will keep it to a very minimal amount (once every few months). Otherwise, I'm good with a regular restart every day or two. I'm heavy on install/deletion of apps, so it's good to give it a nice reset now and then.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Regardless I still don't think you should be doing battery pulls, what kind of phone is that? I do believe you should turn your phone off and on at least once a week for about 5 minutes but that's it. If I had to do battery pulls I would take my phone back.

Sent from the best MoPho

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you had a blackberry before? If you have then you would know that frequent battery pulls are the only way to truly restart a blackberry, unless you have a blackberry program that can simulate a battery pull. It's a blackberry thing.

Also a daily battery pull is the best way to keep a happy blackberry. (IMHO)

vintagetechtm (Motorola Photon 4g)

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
...battery pulls are the only way to truly restart a blackberry...

And that, I guess, is my true question for the Android. Is a shut down/restart as good as a true battery pull? If everyone is saying it is, then I will go with that. To backup what you're saying to those who don't know Blackberry; when you "turn off" a BB, it's not fully "off", so it starts MUCH quicker than a true restart. However, if you do a battery pull, it truly shuts the device down and does a full restart.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I too was a BB user and let me tell u that Android is nothing like a BB in the battery pull thing. You will have to restart your phone every once in a while but you will do that with any smartphone. The only reason I would ever do a battery pull is if my phone had frozen.