Car Dock mode without a car dock?

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
How can I make the Photon go into car dock mode without the OEM car dock? I tried THIS APP, and it worked great... except, it changes the home button to ALWAYS go to car mode. It's really annoying when I want to simply go "home" from the middle of an app and end up in car mode. I tried a couple of other apps, but they don't use the true car mode, so the dialer is not set up correctly. Why can't they just give us a link directly to car mode from the default programs?

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd really like to be able to try out Car Dock mode before investing in the actual dock...and does car dock mode only work with the Motorola dock?

In some states you're not allowed to have these attached to the windshield...so that could also present an issue with their dock.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
The app I linked to will allow you to test car mode. It just has the issue I spoke of with the home button. So, you may have to uninstall it, if it gives you troubles like it did for me.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, installed it. It definitely creates some weird issues with Launcher 7 as well. Home sometimes takes me to Launcher 7's home, other times, it kicks me into Car Dock mode.

I'm going to try to figure it out though and see if I can live with it. Its weird that's not exposed externally somehow...but I get the desire to sell peripherals too.

Thanks!

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yep, saw the same thing you did...it really takes over the Home button function. I could use Perfect Task Switcher to get around it, but pretty much renders the Home button useless.

Uninstalled already, but did give me a chance to see the auto dock mode. Thanks!

fearjar

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Solved. I used LauncherPro to get to it, install launcher pro from the market (free) long press the home screen go to shortcuts> activities > scroll to CarDock, open. Click on the first line. Now install QuickShortcutMaker form the market (free) now install Moto Home Fix from the market (free) hit the home button, choose MotoBlur now you are back to your home screen. Oen apps go to QuickShortcutMaker and open it. Scroll all the way down until you see CarDock, click on it and there you go. A CarDock Icon that will let you go to it anytime without paying $50.
Now you can either go back to market and uninstall Launcher Pro....OR keep it and use the QuickShortcutMaker to make a Launcher Pro shortcut, go to Launcher pro and use QSM to make a MotoHomeFix Shortcut...now you can toggle between launchers and have CarDock on either one. That's what I chose to do and I love the cusomization options. The landscape homescreen for the car is awesome, the app tray is nice but MotoBlur has 7 homescreens vs the 3 on Launcher Pro. They all work really well together.

EDIT: You have to go to settings>display> and then disable kickstand. for this to work. You can not use the kickstand at all or it will cause the app to not boot properly. But if you do all you have to do is reboot the phone. (turn it off then back on). Also you can use the QuickShortcutMaker to make a shortcut to the kickstand mode as well. I use an OtterBox so the holster is my kickstand. And I also found that you can have up to 7 homescreens on Launcher Pro as well.

Last edited:

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Let me just say, the Moto Car Dock is AWESOME!!! High quality / sturdy and well worth it. I just picked up the Moto Car Dock and HD Dock from Sprint and got 20% off for buying 2 or more accessories. I also picked up the Lapdock 500 from Verizon and really like the portability. I typically go through phones every 6 months or so and the PHOTON is the one device that I plan on keeping for AWHILE. I have several upgrades available but there is no reason to. I love the Motorola accessories, they complement the phone and add amazing functionality. My truck has built-in Bluetooth and the Car Dock works great, I stream music, podcasts and make phone calls very easily, the UI is very user friendly for in car use, well thought out.

emt981

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, just got a larger battery for my Photon (can't get beyond 8 hours with the stock battery) and it no longer fits in the car dock but this is a great solution for having the car dock screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek