Rooting Photon 4G with new update..HELP!!

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I know this is a lot but I need some clarification and help so someone please lend some advice please :)

I'm currently running android version 2.3.4 and system version 45.2.7 on my Photon 4G. I'm pretty sure you need to root the phone before you unlock the bootloader and apply clockwork mod, correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I want to root it but I don't know if I should update it to 45.3.6 first and then try using One Click Root to root it. Do you know if One Click Root can root the newest update?

2. And if i acquire root, is a backup of the phone only possible if I unlock the bootloader and apply clockworkmod? I only want a back up because I don't want the phone malfunctioning from the root and I don't have a back up (I don't know how necessary a back up is). And how would I actually unlock the bootloader for the photon 4g?

3. If I was to do all this, could I then use Rom Manager or Bootstrap Recovery as my clockworkmod to make backups or is there something else I need to use?

---merged----

Someone answer by morning please. In short, I need to know the rooting process, unlocking process and clockworkmod process. Im going to bed...please answer.

---merged---

75 views and not one response people...really! I thought we are all here to help each other out? give me some love...

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
You should apply any OTA updates first and then use the OCR method. It works with the latest update (45.3.6).

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
HEY Eguy thanks for responding.
I'm going to update my phone and take it from there. Please help me with the following questions if u can!

1. Where is the best location to find the files for OCR? Do you know the url?

2. I was looking at one of the websites ([ACS] Photon 4G AIO root *working* - xda-developers) for OCR and it said you need 'driver mirrors' while others don't mention it? What are those?

3. And is this a temporary or permanent root? (Like does it go away when you reboot the phone or does it stay?)

4. And lastly, How can I stop Sprint from asking me to update in the future once I get rooted? Is there a setting or an app maybe?

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
HEY Eguy thanks for responding.
I'm going to update my phone and take it from there. Please help me with the following questions if u can!

1. Where is the best location to find the files for OCR? Do you know the url?

2. I was looking at one of the websites ([ACS] Photon 4G AIO root *working* - xda-developers) for OCR and it said you need 'driver mirrors' while others don't mention it? What are those?

3. And is this a temporary or permanent root? (Like does it go away when you reboot the phone or does it stay?)

4. And lastly, How can I stop Sprint from asking me to update in the future once I get rooted? Is there a setting or an app maybe?

1) Use the link you provided in #2. You need the Motorola drivers that suit your system (x32, x64)

3) It's a permanent root. Don't confuse unlocking the bootloader and rooting. The OCR does not unlock the bootloader so you cannot use CWM.

4) You can apply OTA updates over a rooted system as long as it has not been modified. Just run OCR again once you update.

Reactions: jondon156

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Alright thanks man. do you know anything about bootstrap recovery?

qbking77 has video on youtube: How to install Bootstrap Recovery on the Motorola Photon 4G (clockworkmod) - YouTube, and he says that its similar to clockworkmod but you can't flash roms and you need an unlocked bootloader (which i totally understand) but he doesn't address if you can make a backup of the phone. what do you think?

but wouldn't having a backup mean you would at one point flash it back on if something happened to your phone, which you can't do because flashing requires an unlocked bootloader? or does that only apply to flashing custom roms?

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
From what I have read, the bootstrap recovery does have nandroid. Keep in mind, unlocking your bootloader will break 4G (until it is fixed) and void your warranty.

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
From what I have read, the bootstrap recovery does have nandroid. Keep in mind, unlocking your bootloader will break 4G (until it is fixed) and void your warranty.

Ya I've heard about the 4G issue.

Bootstrap recovery doesn't require an unlocked bootloader according to qbking77 and some other forums I've seen.

1. I just want to know if a backup is possible through this bootstrap recovery for locked phones and if you can flash the backup at a later time if the time comes?

2. Is nandroid the ability to make backups?

Thanks man

KTT16

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Alright cool.

Would you recommend using Bootstrap Recovery over unlocking the phone and using clockworkmod?

It sort of depends on what you want to do. Personally, after unlocking and flashing clockworkmod to run Alien ROM it was worth it until I had to update the phone...which put me back to stock after I flashed the SBF. So ask yourself...do you want to flash ROMs/kernels or not? I am waiting a little bit, since my stock setup is good with the minor tweaks I did using UOT, so I'm happy with Bootstrap, and the phone is performing nicely.