My International Photon Experiences

VMdoug

May 13, 2010
Visit site
One of the main reasons I switched to the Photon from my EVO 4G was for the "world phone" support. Sprint finally put out a phone that I'd be able to use overseas. Previous to the Photon, I would end up using an unlocked HTC Desire when I traveled overseas. The Desire worked great (after rooting and running CM7) but it was always frustrating to switch phones for a week or 2 when in Europe.

Note: The Photon's SIM is unlocked, no need to call Sprint or search for unlock codes. Sprint is VERY smart here in allowing us to use any SIM when traveling overseas.

I recently took my first international trip with my Photon and in general it was great! There were a few issues though and I'm glad I still had my HTC Desire...

Copenhagen, Denmark: I picked up a Lebara SIM (includes 250MB data) when I got there and put it into my Photon. Calls worked but the APN settings weren't automatically pushed to the Photon. I went to lebara.dk and figured out the APN Settings an all was great. Side note: When I put the Lebara SIM in my HTC Desire it automatically picked up the correct APN settings and worked just fine.

St. Petersburg, Russia: I have a Megafone SIM that I've used before so I knew the APN settings. I had the Megafone SIM installed when I landed and it worked just great. Megafone's data rates are pretty good (1 Rub/MB) and you can top-up at kiosks all over the city.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Here's where my troubles started. I've had a Vodafone NL SIM for over a year and it works great in my HTC Desire (you do need to call and activate Smartphone Blox for data). I could NOT get my Photon to work on Vodafone NL's data network. Calls were fine, but no matter how many times I messed with the APN settings, I could NOT get the Photon to connect. Luckily I had my Desire with me and ended up having to use it for the few days I was in The Netherlands. I have no idea why the Photon wouldn't work on Vodafone NL's data, I didn't try and call support since I had my Desire.

United Kingdom: I spent the last week of my trip in the UK. For the UK I have a Vodafone UK SIM that again, I've had for a few years. Copying the APN settings from my Desire to my Photon and the Photon worked just great. It was nice being able to go back to the Photon after using the Desire for a few days in Amsterdam.

USSD Codes: One issue across all countries that I was in was that USSD Codes on the Photon do not work. If you need to check your balance, most providers have a USSD code (*123# or something similar) that returns you balance. The Photon would send the code, but the response back was always "Network Message/MMI Complete". This appears to be a common issue with the Photon, not sure if Motorola will fix it or not. So, to check my balance I had to put the SIM in my HTC Desire and then run the USSD code. Not the best, but it worked. This has been reported on the Moto forums (and others) so hopefully it will be fixed in a future update: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/60545?tstart=0

Conclusion:
My advice to ANYONE planning to take their Photon overseas is to also have a European UNLOCKED Android phone like the HTC Desire. The Desire automatically picked up the correct APN Settings from the carriers. You can also search for APN settings for each carrier but they are sometimes out of date and based on my experience, won't work on Vodafone NL :( If I wouldn't have had my HTC Desire I would have been out-of-luck in The Netherlands.

dubnukem

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I may or may not have a fix for your issues with vodafone NL. I had troubles with my Droid 3 too, and if Motorola shared some code between the devices, it could be the same issue.

It appears there is a file called "/system/etc/ppp/peers/pppd-ril.options" that contains the following username and password:

user NotUsed
password NotUsed

Changing those 2 to vodafone fixes it. Could be vodafone is the only provider using PPP for authentication, i don't know. Only fixable if you root though..
(Got this from a motorola support forum)

Fyahstarter

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I was in London in September and I had no problems using a T-Mo sim. At first I couldn't get things to work, but once I updated the PRL and profile, everything configured accordingly.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

twbrooklyn

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm travelling next month to the UK. Any suggestions on SIM Cards, both from a cost and functionality (i.e. data, txt) perspective?

Bact3ria

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I traveled to Venezuela, got a SIM from Movistar and it worked immediately (calls and text), had to set up the APN in order to get Data/3g to work.

neal77

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
there is an app called apn global. I used it in thailand and it knew what country i was in and put the apn codes in my phone for me. Nice app to have if you are traveling

marlon86hn

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi man i?m new in this world using a Droid 2 Motorolla, i have a problem ?cause my phone saids "MMI Complete", what does it message means?

GPhoenix

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I am currently over in Asia and have used the Photon successfully and flawlessly on the following GSM networks but I had to first download an APN Manager from the Google Market/Play Store to choose the corresponding configurations for the current GSM network that I am in:
- MobiFone 3G~ Vietnam
- StarHub 3G ~ Singapore
- DTAC and AIS ~ Thailand

Forgot to add I am on GB 2.3.5 and did not have to contact Sprint to unlock anything before leaving the US. Although I have heard from some people they had to do it, I guess it doesn't hurt to call your carrier just to make sure.

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
settings for all carriers/OS's are here for other countries/carriers/phones:

World Wide Mobile Phone Settings

It worked well with a Photon 4G/Mexico/Telcel

Hello, did you have to call Sprint first?
I want to go to Mexico in December and like to take my Photon with me!
However, I'm also thinking on getting the SGS3 on November, if I replace my Photon with the Galaxy S3, can I still take the Photon to Mexico and activate it with SIM from Telcel over there?

Please advice, Gracias!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown