04-03-2012 09:53 PM
27 12
tools
    Whats wrong with Samsung? Honestly? Do they even test their phones? I get my hands on one for 3 hours and I want to rip my hair out.

They can't hold a cell signal, they can't gps lock, they can't use speakerphone...frustration!

It's no secret I'm not a fan of the Photon screen. The PenTile technology produces a grainy image and I don't like it. I like everything else about the phone.

I've been reading and seeing awesome reviews on the GSII so I picked one up. I immediately noticed the lower resolution and it affected usability a lot more than I thought it would. I really like Youtube, so I was willing to forgo the resolution for better picture quality...then I got a phone call.

I ALWAYS use speakerphone, unless I am in public, I am using speakerphone...in the office, home the car, everywhere.

I answered the call and put it on speaker, the person calling said "whats going on, I hear an echo." Great! the piece of crap Nexus S 4G I had did the same thing! I took it off speakerphone and continued my call. I was in a basement and the coverage is low to begin with, my EVO 4G and Photon hold the call just fine....the GSII dropped it! Just like the Nexus S 4G!

Then I was going to meet someone, the GPS wouldn't lock on and I had to manually scroll the map to find my way.

Honestly, why is there so much support for companies that can't make a solid device? I thought I'd like the screen, but the resolution was too low to deal with...my 3.5" Hero had the same resolution. And dropping calls??? Whats this, the 90's? Speakerphone echo? Please.

Unless Samsung really gets their crap together, I will never buy another one.
    Bullfrog527 likes this.
    03-12-2012 04:09 AM
    Had a Samsung Moment that kept dropping calls. Didn't matter about signal strength, calls would drop even with a good signal. It seems to be a property of Samsung phones.

Samsung stands behind their phones. They will swap any poorly performing phone for another poorly performing phone.

My Photon is rock solid. It holds on to even marginal signals.
    Bullfrog527 likes this.
    03-12-2012 06:46 AM
    It's stories and reports like these that are giving me confidence that the Photon should be a good match to start with. I've read literally a hundred or more individual reviews and then professional types who tout the dramatic difference in signal-holding ability.
    03-12-2012 09:43 AM
    Whats wrong with Samsung? Honestly? Do they even test their phones? I get my hands on one for 3 hours and I want to rip my hair out.

They can't hold a cell signal, they can't gps lock, they can't use speakerphone...frustration!

It's no secret I'm not a fan of the Photon screen. The PenTile technology produces a grainy image and I don't like it. I like everything else about the phone.

I've been reading and seeing awesome reviews on the GSII so I picked one up. I immediately noticed the lower resolution and it affected usability a lot more than I thought it would. I really like Youtube, so I was willing to forgo the resolution for better picture quality...then I got a phone call.

I ALWAYS use speakerphone, unless I am in public, I am using speakerphone...in the office, home the car, everywhere.

I answered the call and put it on speaker, the person calling said "whats going on, I hear an echo." Great! the piece of crap Nexus S 4G I had did the same thing! I took it off speakerphone and continued my call. I was in a basement and the coverage is low to begin with, my EVO 4G and Photon hold the call just fine....the GSII dropped it! Just like the Nexus S 4G!

Then I was going to meet someone, the GPS wouldn't lock on and I had to manually scroll the map to find my way.

Honestly, why is there so much support for companies that can't make a solid device? I thought I'd like the screen, but the resolution was too low to deal with...my 3.5" Hero had the same resolution. And dropping calls??? Whats this, the 90's? Speakerphone echo? Please.

Unless Samsung really gets their crap together, I will never buy another one.
    While I agree that the E4gT antennas aren't as good as the MoPho antennas, I'm not having issues with dropped calls or speakerphone. I'm getting 9 to 10 sats with gps. The E4gT is my third Sammy phone.

Get a white E4gT with antenna upgrade option

03-12-2012 06:53 PM
    While I agree that the E4gT antennas aren't as good as the MoPho antennas, I'm not having issues with dropped calls or speakerphone. I'm getting 9 to 10 sats with gps. The E4gT is my third Sammy phone.

Get a white E4gT with antenna upgrade option

Click to view quoted image
    Where's the tinfoil? That alone can improve signal, depending on how you turn it.

On the serious side, my wife is reporting solid reception, even in our basement family room, something that was nearly impossible on her retired BlackBerry Tour. (well known for poor signal).
    03-14-2012 11:14 AM
    I was driving up 95 in FL with family last week. My wife's HTC and mother-in-law's Samsung were both roaming and not ringing when you called them. My Photon had signal (by the bars) and wasn't roaming. The db was super-low but somehow it was still able to place a clear call. That was impressive.
    03-15-2012 09:23 AM
    The E4GT is an amazing phone. I use speaker phone all the time without a problem and the gps has been fine. There is a chance that you somehow got a defective device. Were you on the latest update? Also, yes, the resolution is technically lower, but you must not have read about superamoled plus technology. The apparent resolution is actually higher because of the extra sub pixels. It also provides much better colors and deeper blacks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    03-15-2012 09:53 AM
    There is a chance that you somehow got a defective device.
    Possible, yes. Likely, no. It exhibited the same symptoms of the last Samsung device I tried (Nexus S 4G). I actually like Samsung, the company a lot. I want to like the phone.
    Were you on the latest update?
    Yes.
    Also, yes, the resolution is technically lower, but you must not have read about superamoled plus technology. The apparent resolution is actually higher because of the extra sub pixels.
    The extra subpixels don't allow more information to fit on the screen, so it doesn't help.
    It also provides much better colors and deeper blacks.
    Very true, video quality was very nice...(the reason I got it to begin with).
    03-15-2012 06:29 PM
    I own both and I agree with the OP, somewhat. The GSII E4GT's radios are not even close to the Photon's. That being said, I rarely drop calls on the E4GT same with the Photon. I also agree, the screen on the Photon (pentile tech) makes it very pixelated. I do like the build quality of the Photon better but the colors of the Super Amoled screen are amazing. Another plus for the E4GT is the processor speed (it seems like nothing slows this phone down) and the camera quality. They are both great phones and each has their advantages and disadvantages.
    03-17-2012 10:51 AM
    I had the GSII and thought it a great phone...if I didn't want to make calls or have any reception, even in the best reception areas! I contacted Samsung directly and they denied this being a "known" issue, while many previous Samsung phone owners confirmed poor signal strength with Samsung phones.

After much back and forth, I finally gave in and picked up the Photon. While the screen doesn't compare with the GSII, it definitely gets reception and THAT is what a phone should do, first and foremost.
    03-19-2012 02:27 AM
    I had the GSII and thought it a great phone...if I didn't want to make calls or have any reception, even in the best reception areas! I contacted Samsung directly and they denied this being a "known" issue, while many previous Samsung phone owners confirmed poor signal strength with Samsung phones.

After much back and forth, I finally gave in and picked up the Photon. While the screen doesn't compare with the GSII, it definitely gets reception and THAT is what a phone should do, first and foremost.
    Exactly!
    03-19-2012 10:27 AM
    Lol Samsung makes good fones but dey always got flaws like feeling cheaply made lol

K.U.S.H 305 MB855
    03-20-2012 02:22 AM
    I've had my Motorola Photon 4G since it was launched. I went from a Hero, to the EVO 4G to the MoPho, and they have all been progressively better. HTC makes GREAT phones and I was hesitant to leave them, but I didn't really like the EVO 3D. The MoPho did not disappoint me at ALL. Great screen, the software is pretty good (I run ADW launcher with an ICS theme but still use a lot of the MotoBlur-ish widgets) and the phone looks and feels high quality (something that can't be said about Sammy's plasticky phones). People notice it all the time for the amazing screen and the gem like look.

Samsung's strength is their displays, they truly are outstanding. But Motorola gave me the full package with the Photon. I have a great screen, fast, well performing device, distinct expensive feel and look, etc.
    03-22-2012 01:50 AM
    Questions that i am currently debating are whether to upgrade to the motorola photon 4g(now at radioshack for 49.99) or the samsung galaxy SII sprint 4g epic touch (now 199.00 at radioshack).....the bulkyness of the photon doesnt bother me and the size of the samsung doesnt bother me either. My questions are while the photon has a better resolution, the samsung is slighly more powerful with a slighly larger screen. Not sure which one to get.
    its been discussed in here a bit, but my dilemma continues
    03-26-2012 02:57 PM
    I got mine off contract since I would like to get an LTE device once LTE is in my area, which I'm hoping will be within the next 2 years (which is why I didn't sign a contract). You might wanna look into that also. What phone do you have now?
    03-26-2012 03:08 PM
    yeah we have 4g here in orlando, and currently i have an HTC Hero from Sprint.
    03-26-2012 03:20 PM
    Questions that i am currently debating are whether to upgrade to the motorola photon 4g(now at radioshack for 49.99) or the samsung galaxy SII sprint 4g epic touch (now 199.00 at radioshack).....the bulkyness of the photon doesnt bother me and the size of the samsung doesnt bother me either. My questions are while the photon has a better resolution, the samsung is slighly more powerful with a slighly larger screen. Not sure which one to get.
    For me it was no contest. I know that it is going to be a couple of years until LTE gets wound up and cooking. I know that I have upgrade lines available later in the year and early next year, so I'm in ok on the future. I tried the Galaxy, and indoors the screen id.s lovely, but outside it was like trying to see with beer goggles. Screen might as well have been black.

And what you get makes the $150 saved feel awful nice. I actually got my MoPho for $2.58 from Best Buy. That $150 is awaiting my next upgrade.

Yeah, the Galaxy is noticeably faster in some respects, but research the signal issues that are reported. No, not everyone gets a bad one, but it shows up in a lot of customer reviews.
    04-02-2012 11:50 PM
    yeah we have 4g here in orlando, and currently i have an HTC Hero from Sprint.
    Coming from a Hero? Oh, thats pretty nice jump, what, 3-4 times the processor power, and a whole lot more screen real estate?
    04-02-2012 11:56 PM
    Not sure which one to get.
    No contest here.

1.) The Photon doesn't drop calls, the GSII does.

2.) The Photon has a higher resolution screen...which makes a huge real world difference and you can immediately tell its better (less scrolling in emails, web, menus etc.) (I'm not a huge fan of the Photons PenTile technology, but its loads better than the low resolution GSII).

3.) The Photon is way easier to see in daylight.

4.) The Photon speakerphone isn't 'silenced' by a misplaced finger or pillow. (The GSII has a very exposed, small speaker port that is nearly silenced by a single finger or if placed on a soft surface).

5.) The Photon speakerphone call quality is better.
    04-03-2012 02:37 AM
    No contest here.

2.) The Photon has a higher resolution screen...which makes a huge real world difference and you can immediately tell its better (less scrolling in emails, web, menus etc.) (I'm not a huge fan of the Photons PenTile technology, but its loads better than the low resolution GSII).

4.) The Photon speakerphone isn't 'silenced' by a misplaced finger or pillow. (The GSII has a very exposed, small speaker port that is nearly silenced by a single finger or if placed on a soft surface).

Hahaha, it's late and I just came on real quick to check out what's new, so I'm not gonna type up a huge response just yet but wow...

04-03-2012 02:47 AM
    ^should be interesting.
    04-03-2012 03:25 AM
    No contest here.

1. I've yet to have one dropped call... Many of the problems you and people bring up, such as the initial los bug, were fixed months ago in an update.

2. A little bit higher resolution crappy pentile screen? No thanks. The epic touch has a larger and much better screen and if you don't know about samoled plus technology and it's benefits, such as extra sub pixels, deeper blacks, less power consuming, richer colors, and more, then go read up on it and come back.

3. It's really not that hard to see in the daylight...

4. Really? It's not that hard to avoid putting your grubby little hands over a spot on the phone.

5. I've used speaker phone a lot and it works flawlessly for me and I haven't had any kind of problem with it.

Here are some more reasons:
    -the Photon is coming up on its eol
    -Epic Touch is much easier to root and has a very large rooting/rom/overall community (photon forum is pretty dead compared to it)
    -there are more but I feel like you wouldn't even listen to them anyways so I won't bother

04-03-2012 11:51 AM
    I don't need to defend my statements as they are backed up by multiple threads by multiple people on multiple forums. Signal issues follow Samsung phones, screen resolution matters (sub pixels don't make up for it as the photon can fit more lines of readable text than the GSII), AMOLED washes right out in daylight, its extremely easy to cover the speaker (especially in landscape) and with LTE, all WiMax phones will soon be EOL.

I owned a Photon and purchased a GSII as a replacement, and the phone had many issues, why would I make this crap up?

If the phone actually worked, I'd still have it.
    04-03-2012 12:36 PM
    Love how gs2 fanbois feel the need to defend their junk. Honestly, everything samsung I've every used was junk. The phone itself is larger, I don't care about samoled, the ui is junk, and rooting is easier? I took the 37 seconds to root my mopho last night... Adb push, 3 other commands, how hard is that?

glad I went with the photon, by far the BEST phone on sprint right now.

Oh, and the phone volume on the photon is loud, which I like. Even playing music over speaker in my loud work truck, I hear the music perfectly fine.

Swyped from my Photon using t-talk.
    04-03-2012 07:12 PM
    Haha, whatever. Have fun with that. Come over to the E4GT forums, I dare you

04-03-2012 09:40 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD