"Gmail Application" keeps trying to reload/screen flickering

tptshoe

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I just cast my vote. I'm in the same boat as all of you. Sprint Epic 4g, stock. Started happening yesterday around the same time as everyone else.

Guessing Google made a code change on the server side that is messing with the Android app.

ccopelan

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Voted, and added details of my system & experience.

Negative on the rooted, running a stock NS4G on Gingerbread, all system updates and carrier updates are applied. I notice that most of the complaints are coming from Sprint users, but at least one complaint appears to be from an AT&T user, so probably nothing carrier-dependant. I tried updating my Gmail app to the latest version, which did not work, and then uninstalled all updates and returned to the stock Gmail app version that the phone originally shipped with.

Is anyone else noticing above-average battery drain after this issue began? I definitely am, but I can't say conclusively that it is tied to this problem.

<bang head against wall> This is killing me...

knutella

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Gmail started going bonkers, refeshing, looping like crazy on my Samsung galaxy S, even factory reset didn't resolve it for more than an hour.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KW_aePLXKc&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

cbellevie

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Voted, and added details of my system & experience.

Negative on the rooted, running a stock NS4G on Gingerbread, all system updates and carrier updates are applied. I notice that most of the complaints are coming from Sprint users, but at least one complaint appears to be from an AT&T user, so probably nothing carrier-dependant. I tried updating my Gmail app to the latest version, which did not work, and then uninstalled all updates and returned to the stock Gmail app version that the phone originally shipped with.

Is anyone else noticing above-average battery drain after this issue began? I definitely am, but I can't say conclusively that it is tied to this problem.

<bang head against wall> This is killing me...

This started for me yesterday afternoon. I noticed excessive battery drain yesterday, quite a bit above average, although have since turned off syncing which appears to have fixed that.

I tried all of the things others tried and in doing so, set Gmail to download the default 4 days for the inbox, something that my EVO does not have the space to handle. Until I had turned off syncing, it was a vicious cycle of delete Gmail data, Gmail downloads until Android is running low on space and notifications/texts no longer function, delete Gmail data, etc etc. Good times.

nzoka

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I have an Rogers HTC raider ( vidid) on their Network in canada and noticed this problem when I woke up this morning. I even uninstalled my Lookout mobile and phonelocator apps ( since these had updates yesterday, but still have the problem.
Screen flickers when the gmail app is opened. Screen is unresposive. After repeated pressing of the phone home button, I get 'loading..' for a while and then my home page appears. All other apps work fine.

Calsoldier

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Also registered just now to post this. Woke up to the gmail app flickering upon opening, crashes phone, phone is rather hot and battery is draining quicker than usual. Running Infused Rom on Galaxy Infuse 4G with Advanced Task Killer. Everything else seems to work fine.

grlla

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Big red - stock Droid X2 - same issue.

Since it's across multiple phone companies one can only assume it's on google's end.

Accessing gmail via goggle on the desktop appears fine.

I just spent an hour reconfiguring my google accts to forward to k9 app on my phone. Works fine as a temp workaround.

Cheers :cool:

drezzzzy#AC

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I happen to work for Sprint. I started having these issues around 6pm cst yesterday as well. I don't know a whole lot about the issue however a colleage of mine just brought this Life Hacker article to my attention. According to the article this is happening due to a change that was made by Google on their server side. Looks like for now the only known workaround use the stock android email application until Google fixes it. I have included a link to the article below. Hopefully this is helpful. BTW I'm using the E4GT on Sprint.

Gmail Is Having Issues on Android for Many; Here's How to Get Your Email Back

raginkestrel

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Same problem on my HTC Thunderbolt. Sync and notification work, but cannot access mail or settings.

However, the app works just fine on my Toshiba Thrive.

gspdavis

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. Looks like im the first to report on here using US Cellular. i have the Motorola Electrify and my problems started late last night and it has been a nightmare ever since. Hope they get it worked out soon!!!!!!

dellbertndenver

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Boy am I happy to have found this forum. This same issue started for me yesterday (3/21/12) and only happens to one of my three email accounts that I use the app to access. I have a Galaxy S II via T-Mobile. I, too, thought my phone was dying or had some virus. But again, since I'm not the only one, I suppose I will just have to wait until Google fixes this!

:mad: :confused: :( :'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34