Docks Docks DOCKS!!!

amcx2

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
New to Motorola Photon - LOVE IT SO FAR - but not new to Moto proprietary stuff like charging cables from back in the day of my RAZR (yes, the flip razr).

I picked up the car dock for Photon today - Sprint store $39.99.

I'm looking at the Photon multimedia dock $89ish, but notice the Motorola 89512N HD dock for tablets and phones - $39!!!

The only thing I see different in these are the external USB devices aren't available for the universal dock. Is this really the only difference?

I'm thinking this universal option might be the best bet as I'd want a bluetooth keyboard anyways and don't see a need for external drive for my use (I'm not using it as a full blown multimedia PC). I also see a Moto tablet in my future (XYBOARD 8.2"?) and my wife's upgrade comes in 3 months - might have to choose the "new" Photon for her.

Also - does ANY bluetooth keyboard really work with the photon ... I haven't tried connecting any yet, but figured I could save some $$ by getting a cheaper one. Do you connect like any other device (headset / car) through bluetooth settings???

srkelley

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I can only comment on my personal experience here. I use a stereo bluetooth headset with my MoPho. It's the Motorola S10-HD. Just about any bluetooth ehadset should work, it was just a big coincidence that Motorola also made the headset that I wanted.

Webtop, the app that launches when connected to a lapdock or the multimedia dock, is the difference between those two. It adds usb ports that can actually detect and use usb mice and keyboards. That dock in the link above may not do that. Based upon the reviews people can't get any data to come out, so I'm guessing that usb devices won't be recognized. I'm not seeing any information about webtop ability. My knowledge is very limited here but I'm hoping that I'be at least given you enough information to be able to find out more about this.

amcx2

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
You're right ... the main difference is what Moto calls a DOCK and a STATION .... they actually make a universal (tablet and phone) STATION as well. Below are Amazon links to ...

Motorola 89512N HD Dock

Motorola 89511N HD Station

The main difference is what srkelley metioned - WebTop application in the following bullet:

Multitask and Be More Productive. Once you're docked, you can get online using the webtop application just like you would with your regular laptop or office desktop. Connect multiple USB peripherals and be more productive.

The external USB functionality is wrapped into the WebTop application ... notice the DOCK doesn't have usb ports while the STATION does. I believe the DOCK provides no additional functionality than a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable other than charging and cradling the device to stand up nicely.

I've connected headsets to plenty of phones, including the MoPho ... I was asking if hooking up a bluetooth keyboard is the same process and if I can hook up any bluetooth keyboard.

emt981

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't have any problem with a bluetooth keyboard, I just last week paired my Photon with a Brookstone roll-up keyboard with no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer