02-20-2019 05:02 PM
43 12
tools
    Thank you Calmmont! That was it! I'm currently on Lollipop (5.1.1). I removed the Yahoo mail account from the Android mail app to try Yahoo's app, didn't like it and ran into this problem when trying to add Yahoo mail account back on with the Android mail app. I simply do not recall the "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" available as an option two years ago when I originally setup the Yahoo mail account.
    07-06-2016 12:17 AM
    OK I finally got it to work and it's using the native android email app as well
    first thing I did was to turn on pop3 in my yahoo account settings I also turned on to "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" in the security settings then I went to in this order on my phone which has marshmallow latest update
    1.My Account
    2. Add Account
    3.choose the envelope with the @ sign on it
    4. yahoo email address
    5. yahoo password
    5. check see password box
    6. double check password
    7. Next
    8. Success
    9. send emails between accounts to make sure it was a success
    07-19-2016 01:59 PM
    The info is very helpful. This morning I got a popup dialog then turned off "Allow apps..." without my awareness. I wish I have got this info from my first try.

OK I finally got it to work and it's using the native android email app as well
    first thing I did was to turn on pop3 in my yahoo account settings I also turned on to "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" in the security settings then I went to in this order on my phone which has marshmallow latest update
    1.My Account
    2. Add Account
    3.choose the envelope with the @ sign on it
    4. yahoo email address
    5. yahoo password
    5. check see password box
    6. double check password
    7. Next
    8. Success
    9. send emails between accounts to make sure it was a success
    07-27-2016 10:16 AM
    It's really simple to add a Yahoo email to your phone you just need to get a app specific password for your phone from your yahoo account.

To do this just go into your yahoo Account Settings

and then go to Account Security.

You will then see Manage App Passwords and there you will create the app password for your mobile device.

Enter the password that is given to you and like magic yahoo will work on your phone without having to download the yahoo mail app.

So

STEP 1 Login to your yahoo using a computer

STEP 2 Go to Account Settings

STEP 3 Go to Account Security

STEP 4 Go to Manage APP Passwords

STEP 5 Create APP Password

STEP 6 Use password given to you and enter it on your mobile device

STEP 7 SUCCESS
    I have been trying for 3 months to log back into my account, it just stopped on day. I j had to resort to yahoo app which is horrible. I tried all the steps from previous answers, however, I do not even have the options you all are sharing?!?!?! WTH, it is driving me crazy and I want to delete the yahoo app so badddddddd, thank you to anyone who may be able to help as yahoo customer service is USELESS
    jjhjacobs likes this.
    08-04-2016 04:45 PM
    I experience the same thing since last night, and i almost give up and choose to use the apps. but i saw a notification from yahoo, like a sign in attempt from my own phone, and it give a link to ur account setting for security setting
    https://login.yahoo.com/account/security

hope this will help y'all ^^
    09-26-2016 10:14 PM
    Does not work on my samsung 5. I deleted the existing yahoo account from the android email because it froze. Tried to add it and am unable to. Would love any further solutions if any. Thanks
    10-08-2016 04:03 PM
    this solution worked for me, thank you!
    10-13-2016 12:08 AM
    *Solution*: Go to your "Account security" settings.
    Select Allow apps that use less secure sign in.
    To deny or turn off app access, deselect the undesired app.
    10-22-2016 04:19 PM
    Thank you,
    You are the only one with the correct information. I have tried everyone else info for the past 10 days and no luck.

Thank you!!!
    10-24-2016 08:29 PM
    Its a security issue
    Yahoo does not like the default app for security reasons
    You have 2 options
    1 is to go into your Yahoo account and check the box to allow the app with low security
    2 Is to download the Yahoo app on your new device from 'Play Store'
    10-30-2016 06:37 PM
    Hi,

Yahoo! mail disallows other devices from logging on reporting that an insecure server is being used. This can be changed, but I wouldn't recommend it from personal experience. Your account will be hacked.

Rather log onto Yahoo! mail from a computer.
    • Click the SETTINGS cogwheel top right
    • Click ACCOUNT INFO (bottom)
    • Click ACCOUNT SECURITY
    • Then look for something about enabling App Passwords. I've enabled mine now and my options have changed so I don't know what it used to say
    • Now mine says Generate App Password - click that
    • Select Android Mail from the list and then it will display a password
    • Reconnect your devices by going into the mailbox of your Yahoo! address(es) and change your INCOMING SERVER and OUTGOING SERVER settings
    • Change only the password. This does not change your Yahoo! password. Only your device uses it and it's the only password your device will use. Presumably you need a password for every non-Yahoo! email client you use on your Android device, and different ones for any other Android devices and clients you have.
    12-02-2016 03:00 AM
    Thank you,
    You are the only one with the correct information. I have tried everyone else info for the past 10 days and no luck.

Thank you!!!
    No no! Don't do that! Your email account will be hacked! Maybe not today or tomorrow, but sooner or later. I speak from experience.

I posted the solution above. Please use the GENERATE APP PASSWORD option instead.
    12-02-2016 03:19 AM
    After spending the ENTIRE morning trying EVERYTHING in this thread to get my husbands galaxy tab back up and running.. to no avail... I clicked on the forgot password link on his tab and went through getting the verification code and it loaded right up! What a pain in the freaking butt! With all the technology we have now, they can't make it easier???

1. sign in and receive password error message
    2. click forgot password.
    3. send verification to phone
    4. enter code
    done!
    12-29-2016 09:22 AM
    Just discovered: Try the gmail app to add a "Yahoo" account; the Gmail app was pre-installed.

Prior, I could receive incoming Yahoo messages; but, not send. The gmail app added the yahoo account using some Google-defined, unlisted settings to the legacy android email app, and now I can send. I already had Allow apps enabled in Yahoo webmail (using a desktop app). Yahoo sent a message that the device was granted access.
    01-02-2017 11:17 AM
    Thank your for the detailed guidance
    01-07-2017 08:08 AM
    Probably this is the best response that we have. I also had the same issue. The problem is that Yahoo has changed account authentication steps. When you use YAHOO android app, you can use your regular password to log in but when you use android email, your yahoo email password will not work. You have to use your laptop and go to yahoo email webpage and click on account security -> manage apps password and and it will create a strange password for you like "awe sad edf wer" and then you enter that as your android yahoo email password and then it will work. This is a one time process. It is very confusing and YHOO should create a great clean tutorial for people but they donot and that is why YHOO is hated. I hope I was of some help. Basically adding the email manually will NOT help.
    04-23-2017 02:39 PM
    I have the same issue when i put all the information in it says no authentication
    04-24-2017 04:44 PM
    Easy. Go to yahoo mail go to security. Bottom of list is app passwords. Generate an app password. Copy...Go back to phone mail and enter your email but use that generated password. Your password will not work.
    02-20-2019 05:02 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD