Why I returned my EVO LTE and went back to my Photon 4G

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've really struggled with this decision. I owned the original EVO and actually enjoyed the Sense overlay. With the original EVO, Android was in its infancy and was lacking much polish; Sense really helped make Android functional. Now, its honestly unnecessary. A manufacturer like HTC could simply use a stronger radio, better display, expandable memory & a better camera and outsell a Galaxy Nexus device easily. They would save much money not having to customize any software and would be able to push updates much faster.

Here is what I loved about the EVO LTE:
*SLCD Screen. Amazing.
*Snappiness within apps.
*Design of phone.
*Kickstand (In Theory)

Here is what I disliked:
*3G only. It's horrendous. Unusable.
*Sense & software glitches (reloads, etc)....(ROMs, I know.)
*Kickstand (In usability, its too puny)
*Camera. Its no where near as good as advertise. (Quality, Loading or Speed).
*Button Light Leak
*Screen Flicker
*Cell Radio Strength

lightleak.jpg

sprint3g.png

Conclusion
I'm not saying the EVO LTE is a terrible phone, it just seems to be 'business as usual' over at HTC. They make a product that is very close, but misses the mark.

The flickering and light leak issues are absolutely quality control issues, it will be hit or miss, but there are MANY people who have the issue and I'd rather not keep trying to get a phone that works. I hate to say it, but iPhone remains the only phone that has very little of these QC issues...it shouldn't be that way.

I watch a lot of YouTube content before going to sleep, I hoped a center kickstand would be more stable, but its too small and doesn't hold the phone up in bed with a case. My Photon stays up fine.

The camera app takes 3-5 seconds to load. If its in memory, it loads quicker, but with all the multitask killing Sense does, it never is. Also, when you hold down the shutter, every time you hear a 'tick' it is not taking a picture. It averages 2-3 'click' sounds per actual picture. I was expecting amazing pictures...they are average.

Lack of LTE of course falls on Sprint. Yes I have WiFi at home/office, but I forgot how bad 3G actually was. Loading websites and mapping on the go is painful. I simply can't tolerate it.

I also get stronger signal on my Photon, and it affected me the other day in a basement. I had to stand by a window to make a call, the Photon works everywhere in the house.

I can't commit to a contract with a phone that has all these little issues. 3G is the worst. After all the little glitches above, I was simply going to try another EVO LTE. But after thinking more about the data speeds and zero LTE roll out schedules from Sprint, I cannot in good conscience sign up for a phone not knowing when LTE will be turned on.

I will stay out of contract, perhaps pick up a EVO LTE on Craigslist if/when LTE is turned on, but I am staying out of contract. I cannot commit another 2 years to Sprint. Its been the same song & dance for the last 4 or so years. I can't do it anymore.

Reactions: jordo487 and Ry

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My friend has the Evo 4G LTE and I played with it a little and while I liked the phone it did not blow me out of the water. Then I find out for Sprint customers since LTE is not out yet you only get 3G? ? ? Is this true? (seems like it from what I read in your post) ...

Seems like a smart decision since the Photon 4G just for simply having 4G is better than the EVO LTE Haha. If you are on Sprint and going to get an LTE device just because its new you are going to have to be stuck with a super slow web speed.

I will probably not make the jump until the market is actually out, and lets say we keep our Photon 4Gs once LTE comes out is it true our 4G will also be quicker? Or how will the transition actually affect those of us with regular 4G phones

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
If you look at all the phones available by Sprint, the Photon has:

+The strongest radios.
+Working 4G.
+Best visibility in daylight.

My Nexus 7 Tablet will be used for videos and such...even with Wireless Tether, it will still browse the web faster than the EVO LTE on 3G. :p

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I've owned a number of phones, Samsung, Sanyo, BlackBerry, and none of them hold a candle to the reception I get on the Photon. The most important thing is that my phone works well, and Photon does...

panaguy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
As a employee for Panasonic for over 32 years (now retired), Moto simply has the BEST radios BAR NONE!

And until Sprint rolls out 4G LTE nationwide I will stick to my trusty Photon. No other phone offers the features, performance and WORLD PHONE capabilities as the Photon. Don't be seduced by the slick flashiness of the " plasticy" Samsung S3, HTC 4G LTE EVO and other pretenders. Photon is seriously well designed and well made piece of serious hardware and I should know as a professional in the telecom and electronics industry.

Remember it was Moto who pioneered the FIRST cellular phones in the 80's AND they still know more than every other manufacturer out there! It's no wonder Google bought Motorola Mobility with their 12,000 patents and 6,000 more pending! NO one else comes close and that includes APPLE (who I do admire for their cutting edge technologies that "just work" and fanatical quality control).

So to all, ENJOY YOUR PHOTONS!

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm really waiting for the photon with lte to come out... Lte is hitting my area soon, but I honestly want to stick with motorola (being someone who has owned htc's g1, hero, evo, and evo shift...) If that says anything..

I travel a lot between md and se ga (where my fiance is), and this is the first phone I've had that keeps signal the entire way (except for a 2 minute area on 95 in BFE, NC)

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering switching to Straight Talk if Sprint doesn't play ball when my discounts run out in a couple months. If I do, and I'll probably buy an Atrix HD or a Motorola Nexus, if they are next.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34