Update 45.4.13 is SUPER Slow!

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a pretty good thing going with my Photon. Sure, Wifi sometimes dropped after phone was on idle, but that was so minor.

I saw the update notification today for 45.4.13 (I guess it also updated to 2.3.5? Or was that already there?) and made the terrible decision to update. Ever since I did, my phone is laggy, Wifi keeps dropping, screen is not as responsive to touch, going from landscape to portrait mode takes shaking the phone A LOT, and o one. Oh, I keep getting "ping failed" on my Wifi Alive, get "Interal Error" from the phone...WTF, Motorila?!!I never had these issues before!

I have updated my profile and PRL, but the same issues persist.

I want to go back to the pre-update set up. How can I do this...factory reset?

I do NOT recommend the update!!

Last edited:

Wayne173

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Pull battery, let it set for a minute without it, re-install battery, and see if it helps. If it doesn't go to the Motorola forums and tell them what your phone is doing. BTW......do you have the phone rooted? They tried to lock the phone but of course the devs found away around that. It's been a great update for me.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke with CSR at Motorola. It was some useless girl who kept repeating everything I said. Grrrr!

After much back/forth, she wanted me to pull out my SIM and memory card so that she could "isolate" the incident. How would she do that by having me remove the SIM/SZd card?

I didn't realize it would be so time consuming and I must leave for work, so she said I can call back to go through the "troubleshooting" and if they can't figure it out, I will have to send my phone in to them for repair. Um, and be without a phone? She said I could speak to Sprint about getting a "loaner" phone...what is she talking about?!

Needless to say, she was of no help.

Looks like I will have to go through Sprint, which is a pain in the rear. Or, try to root my phone with the Photon Torpedo and hope that will fix the issue or downgrade the update. Is that the solution here?

What a complete headache!

Note to self: Never update software again until after reading reviews first. :/

Last edited:

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Or you could try a factory reset. That would be my suggestion before going through all the hassle of going to the Sprint store or sending your phone in to Motorola.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Or you could try a factory reset. That would be my suggestion before going through all the hassle of going to the Sprint store or sending your phone in to Motorola.
What will the factory reset do? Wipe all my data? But it won't remove the update.

And now, my phone will not connect to Wifi at all, reads, "Network Communications Issues", even after battery pull/rebooting.

Last edited:

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The issue is most likely not the update. A factory reset will restore your phone to a new out of the box state. It will clear up the majority of problems that most folks encounter through installing apps, messing with settings, etc., and will rule out whether it is a software or hardware issue. It's the first step that anyone you will send or take your phone to will take. If the problems persist after the factory reset with stock settings, then it is a hardware issue and a repair/replacement will be in order. Simply rooting the phone won't solve any of the problems you are having.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The issue is most likely not the update. A factory reset will restore your phone to a new out of the box state. It will clear up the majority of problems that most folks encounter through installing apps, messing with settings, etc., and will rule out whether it is a software or hardware issue. It's the first step that anyone you will send or take your phone to will take. If the problems persist after the factory reset with stock settings, then it is a hardware issue and a repair/replacement will be in order. Simply rooting the phone won't solve any of the problems you are having.
I think you missed the part that my phone was fine until immediately after the OTA update.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
No, I didn't miss that part. Regardless, a factory reset will narrow down the issue to whether it's software or hardware, and is going to be the very first thing that a phone tech will do. Also, it is my understanding that there is currently no way to sbf back to a previous version anyway, so you won't be any worse off than you are now. It's not that daunting of a task, and most of the time will solve issues like you are having.

Wayne173

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree.....factory reset. There is something on your phone that's being a resource hog. Probably was there before but you didn't notice because the phone still performed well enough for you not to complain. Most likey its and app due to whatever changes Motorola made. And dont say that's the Moto's fault. They can't test their updates with every app on the market. Soo you can go through your phone and delete apps one at a time to see if the performance returns or download all your pics, videos, and emails. Perform factory reset. If that doesn't fix if go get another phone. Those ARE your options. No magic app. No magic root.

Reactions: SandersJC1964

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I am having very similar issues after the update too, but the biggest problem I am having now is that the battery drains to dead after only a few hours of light use. For example I unplug my phone and have a full charge, check Facebook and Twitter real quick (about 5 minutes total), check email (maybe a minute tops) and send a few quick texts and my battery drops down to 70%. All in all I have used the phone maybe 10 minutes and it drops that much. If I leave it idle and not do anything with it after that then within three hours it is in the red or dead. Right now I am backing up some stuff from the phone and going to do a Factory Reset to see if that helps.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
What will the factory reset do? Wipe all my data? But it won't remove the update.

And now, my phone will not connect to Wifi at all, reads, "Network Communications Issues", even after battery pull/rebooting.

Actually... Pull battery, hold power 15 seconds, reinstall battery and reboot. Repeat 3 times... Don't know why it takes 3 times but it should work fine after.

As for battery life, ss a shot of battery usage screen and I can trouble shoot that...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I just got home and after a day of my phone being extremely funky and LAGGY, I backed up my data and did a factory reset.

I called back Motorola and they encouraged factory reset (don't they all...), and then they told me NOT to personalize my phone with any apps or other accounts for the next 24-48 hours and just "observe" the phone's behavior. But, I use a lot of apps for work, email, etc. and how am I going to tease out exactly what is causing the glitch (though I still think it's the update)?

@tirith - I had read your recommendation about battery pull and power button in another thread earlier today and tried it - didn't work. :(

I would like to personalize this phone tonight, regardless of the suggestion from Motorola, because I'm honestly not sure what I'm observing for if the phone is remaining untouched.

Any thoughts?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I just got home and after a day of my phone being extremely funky and LAGGY, I backed up my data and did a factory reset.

I called back Motorola and they encouraged factory reset (don't they all...), and then they told me NOT to personalize my phone with any apps or other accounts for the next 24-48 hours and just "observe" the phone's behavior. But, I use a lot of apps for work, email, etc. and how am I going to tease out exactly what is causing the glitch (though I still think it's the update)?

@tirith - I had read your recommendation about battery pull and power button in another thread earlier today and tried it - didn't work. :(

I would like to personalize this phone tonight, regardless of the suggestion from Motorola, because I'm honestly not sure what I'm observing for if the phone is remaining untouched.

Any thoughts?

Personalize it, but don't go way overboard....

Widgets with constant refresh kill battery (fb, twitter, weather, anything with a refresh interval), as well as apps that run in the background without you knowing...

Did you have any of the zynga games by chance?

Brightness and screen timeout awareness help out too... when I can help it I keep my brightness at minimum, screen timeout at 15 seconds...
Either way... there are ways to tell what's running, whats killing the battery, etc. task manager, battery usage screen, that sort of thing.

Wifi does typically save battery... Go ahead and give the settings in wifi and networks a try this go around... never sleep.

Report if the fdr helped at all, and if you need anything else, I'm constantly lurking the forums.... I've been with android since the day they released the g1 and haven't wavered at all.

I've noticed a drop in battery performance myself as well, but then again it's been 116 degrees heat index here, driving in a hot truck, and listening to pandora all day...
Sent using my MoPho-King photon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie