No ICS for "OLD" Photon for months: Time for new phone?

popologuy

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Not so much tired of waiting as I'm bummed that my stock photon will not have 4G (Wimax done forever) or ICS (for a while), and the slider photon didn't "wow" me at all.

Bottom line, I plan to stay with Sprint.

I think I'm going with a Galaxy Note 2 (if it ever gets to Sprint) or SG3 (if they ever release it in black) at the end of the year.

If you are thinking the same, what phone are you going to move to?

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite happy with my Photon and can wait for ICS. Wimax/LTE issues don't matter to me because I have only 1X service at home (airave) and 1x service at work (Verizon).

Can't imagine why anyone wants a Samsung phone. I might select an HTC as an alternative, but not a Samsung. Nothing much matters in a phone if you cannot establish a connection and cannot maintain a connection. Dropped calls and missed calls render any phone mostly useless.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
My wife and son have the SG2 and love it. Cheaper than 3 too. $50 at Bestbuy now. I' ll wait for ICS on my Photon Torpedo!

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

anon(409656)

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
@popologuy you had a Pre, you should be used to waiting...ICS will be here "in the coming months". Either way, look close at the connection issues with Sammy, as jpark said. I looked and have seen lots of complaints, and I never have a problem with the Photon. Minus the time mine died, that is, and that seems to have been an issue with an app according to the repair rep. It seems I may have bricked the radios messing around in 4G settings with a toggle app designed for the EVO.:p

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The photon is a great phone. I got the evo lte but mainly due to the fact that I live in a area that is now getting lte signal. If I was in a wimax area that wasn't due to get lte for a year or so I would use my upgrade once it was available so I could continue to use wimax until then.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

neal77

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't like the fact that the international sim card is locked so you can not put another sim card in from the country you are visiting. I hope there will be a way to unlock it on the photon Q or it won't be worth it for me to upgrade.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't like the fact that the international sim card is locked so you can not put another sim card in from the country you are visiting. I hope there will be a way to unlock it on the photon Q or it won't be worth it for me to upgrade.

Where did you learn that the sim will be locked? That's not true for the original photon.

I also jumped from a pre to a photon. I'll probably wait for ics on this device, although the keyboard on the photon Q appeals to me.

hirenpathak

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I would think that the Photon Q would be same as the original Photon - size wise and weight wise because it has to fit into the original Photon accessories as well.

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
"No ICS for "OLD" Photon for months: Time for new phone?"

I have rooted my Photon and it's the cat's meow!

I really don't care about ICS & the further lockdown's Moto/Sprint will probably do to the ICS update for the Photon.

In fact I won't even update to OTA 2.3.5 Update due to all the complaints & issues

But everyone has there own opinion so wish you the best.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm still debating buying this one off contract... Especially since I just shattered the screen on the one I've had two weeks... But I'll probably check ebay in a couple months... Forget paying sprint $550

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
How did you shatter your screen? I thought that Gorilla glass was supposed to be pretty indestructible.

It's scratch resistant. I was probably close to 70 feet above ground and dropped it..

And I'm still using it

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

christianttt

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Just wait a month or two for the ICS realease, so the JB custom roms that are already on XDAdevelopers get more stable with the drivers and that stuff...

Enviado desde mi MB855 usando Tapatalk 2

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'm moving on to the Atrix HD & Straight Talk (AT&T). The Atrix HD is the phone the Photon LTE should be (The Photon Q isn't even HD!)

I've chatted with a few people who have made the same move and are ecstatic. HSPA+ is just as fast if not faster than WIMAX and works in more places. Straight Talk is $45 a month, so that's nice.

I've been with Sprint for over a decade, I'm done now.

buzzardjrt

I im irritated with these phone companies not updating phones. I have decided to wait till the end of the year and see what Google brings out. I would like to see Google do what Samsung did with their 10.1 note in Europe. Put phone capabilities in it. I am pretty sure that will not happen but it is ok to dream. Plus the Samsung screens are by far the best I have seen by far.

But I also read (somewhere) that Google is allowing EVERY OEM to make there own Google phone. It never said when that was going to be released but I am hoping by year end we will know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie