ICS delayed for Photon

matriX1218

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
May be no ICS but jb because ics was in development as per previous notification so they might be doing further things.

Sent from Motorola Photon 4G via Reliance

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't really want a $100 trade-in towards a new Motorola phone. What I want is an upgrade on this one. Hmmm, I guess that's a reply to the linked article, not to this thread.

I can be optimistic and hope that means they will skip ICS and upgrade us to JB in a month or two. It's not supposed to be a big step to go from ICS to JB, so that's not out of the question. On the other hand, I used to have a Pre, and my gut feeling is that when a concrete promise is replaced with "further plans to be announced" it means "tough nuggies, you're not getting what we promised".

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
To all interested parties, go to Motorola's VP of Product Management's Google+ page and voice your concerns. There are many Bionic and Atrix owners voicing their concerns there and it looks like he is reading the comments and responding to some.

https://plus.google.com/+PunitSoni/posts

Scroll down to the post dated Sep 5, 2012 with a picture from Moto's office..

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a Pre, and my gut feeling is that when a concrete promise is replaced with "further plans to be announced" it means "tough nuggies, you're not getting what we promised".

I used to have a Pre as well. At least Motorola didn't say that we would see ICS sometime "...in the coming months." :)

buzzardjrt

If my Photon does not get the upgrade I will not purchase another Motorola product. Samsung did the same thing and I will not buy one of their products (even though the Siii and the Note look awesome) because of lack of support. I got burned on the Epic where they promised and update BEFORE I decided to purchase the phone and never delivered, Motorola has done the same thing (or are). I do not care about the $100 dollar rebate since I would be in the same boat next year with an outdated device, and who knows if you will ever actually see the rebate.

I actually like Motorola's line up as well, the Xoom and the equipment they sell to help you while working out. all good stuff, but it does not look like any of my hard earned money will be going to them. I will have to find another company to do business with.

I can only assume I will have to get the Nexus on Straight Talk.

anon(98566)

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If my Photon does not get the upgrade I will not purchase another Motorola product. Samsung did the same thing and I will not buy one of their products (even though the Siii and the Note look awesome) because of lack of support. I got burned on the Epic where they promised and update BEFORE I decided to purchase the phone and never delivered, Motorola has done the same thing (or are). I do not care about the $100 dollar rebate since I would be in the same boat next year with an outdated device, and who knows if you will ever actually see the rebate.

I actually like Motorola's line up as well, the Xoom and the equipment they sell to help you while working out. all good stuff, but it does not look like any of my hard earned money will be going to them. I will have to find another company to do business with.

I can only assume I will have to get the Nexus on Straight Talk.

Not every company is going to upgrade every one of their phones. At the rate you are going, you will have blacklisted every good phone manufacturer within the next couple of years.

anon(409656)

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree with those who think that this means a leap frog to JB, but don't like the further delays. We have already been moved back once, now we have no quarter to even look to. I, too, have the Pre- experience, but was waiting on decent hardware that was not delivered (10 minute reboot, anyone?). At least this phone has solid hardware, and we can mod if it comes down to it.

jabwtv

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
This is inexcusable. No upgrade, no more Motorola phones for me. The other 2 phones I had considered purchasing before I bought this phonre, HTC EVO 3D and Samsung Epic 4G Touch, both now have ICS.

anon(409656)

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So much for my optimism. Comes from being a Pre owner. I also have read that the supposed $100 rebate will not apply to Sprint owners, but have not been able to substantiate that. Either way, there is no current Moto phone on Sprint that I would consider at this time. I am holding out hope for Drivers to be released so that the devs at XDA can get this thing running properly on CM10. I may be hoping long after my next year is up with this phone, though.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
So much for my optimism. Comes from being a Pre owner. I also have read that the supposed $100 rebate will not apply to Sprint owners, but have not been able to substantiate that. Either way, there is no current Moto phone on Sprint that I would consider at this time. I am holding out hope for Drivers to be released so that the devs at XDA can get this thing running properly on CM10. I may be hoping long after my next year is up with this phone, though.

Punit Soni's statement was pretty clear:

"Motorola Mobility continues to review how each device can deliver the very best experience possible, and at times, this can mean making tough choices – especially as it relates to Android software upgrades. Today, we need to let you know about some tough choices related to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades. Specifically, ATRIX 4G, Photon 4G and Electrify will not receive the ICS upgrade, but continue to be supported with maintenance releases to ensure optimum performance for the consumer.

We are committed to being more transparent than ever on our software upgrade strategy – even when we’re delivering news consumers may not want to hear. We are doing everything possible to continually improve our communication with you and make sure you are a satisfied customer. That’s why we recently announced our $100 rebate program for owners of these and other devices launched in 2011 and beyond that won’t get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This program starts in the U.S. this fall, and we are working to expand it to select regions around the world. Please watch for updates at motorola.com/tradeup."

anon(409656)

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

"Motorola Mobility continues to review how each device can deliver the very best experience possible, and at times, this can mean making tough choices – especially as it relates to Android software upgrades. Today, we need to let you know about some tough choices related to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades. Specifically, ATRIX 4G, Photon 4G and Electrify will not receive the ICS upgrade, but continue to be supported with maintenance releases to ensure optimum performance for the consumer.

We are committed to being more transparent than ever on our software upgrade strategy – even when we’re delivering news consumers may not want to hear. We are doing everything possible to continually improve our communication with you and make sure you are a satisfied customer. That’s why we recently announced our $100 rebate program for owners of these and other devices launched in 2011 and beyond that won’t get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This program starts in the U.S. this fall, and we are working to expand it to select regions around the world. Please watch for updates at motorola.com/tradeup."

Pardon me if I dont take Mr Soni's "pretty clear" statement with less than a pinch of salt, but thanks for the quote. I suppose we have a couple of months of Fall to go, so we shall see!

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I couldn't tell if you'd seen the statement or not.

I agree that anything they say isn't worth the paper its printed on...I do wonder what "Fall" means to them. My guess is anything before Christmas.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

"Motorola Mobility continues to review how each device can deliver the very best experience possible, and at times, this can mean making tough choices ? especially as it relates to Android software upgrades. Today, we need to let you know about some tough choices related to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades. Specifically, ATRIX 4G, Photon 4G and Electrify will not receive the ICS upgrade, but continue to be supported with maintenance releases to ensure optimum performance for the consumer.

We are committed to being more transparent than ever on our software upgrade strategy ? even when we?re delivering news consumers may not want to hear. We are doing everything possible to continually improve our communication with you and make sure you are a satisfied customer. That?s why we recently announced our $100 rebate program for owners of these and other devices launched in 2011 and beyond that won?t get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This program starts in the U.S. this fall, and we are working to expand it to select regions around the world. Please watch for updates at motorola.com/tradeup."

Please remember that the rebate program requires you to mail your old phone in. You may or may not be able to get more than $100 for your device in the open market.

GPhoenix

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
That settles it. Im getting the Photon Q at the end of my contract and if i dont switch from Sprint to Verizon. If I cant have ICS/JB on my Photon, Im getting the Photon Q that already runs on ICS and eventually JB.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

anon(98566)

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That settles it. Im getting the Photon Q at the end of my contract and if i dont switch from Sprint to Verizon. If I cant have JB on my Photon, Im getting the Photon Q that already runs on JB.

Congrats! You are doing exactly what they were hoping you would do. Way to stick it to the man.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
hey. If I get a better phone out of the deal, its a win-win situation. no harm in that is there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34