Photon will remain on Gingerbread!

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Motorola just updated their update chart. It seems they have decided that the Photon will remain on Gingerbread. See chart here-https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
No upgrade to the Photon. No upgrade option at all except the Photon Q, which is not really an option.

Sad. I've always liked Motorola.

Will_13

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
This is disappointing news. I'm under contract until June of next year and am wondering how the $100 for trade up will work that far out. The Photon Q will be a year old by then, and what are the chances there will be a non slider world phone at that time either. Granted Motorola is not obligated make updates, but it stings little when an update plan was announced that back in February and then canceled right before it was due to happen.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, so now I have to figure out how to port ICS or JB? I never accepted the "lock the bootloader" update, so in theory that's possible. But Yuck. I really wanted a nice, simple, OTA update from Moto.

I guess my next phone is likely to be a Nexus.

stonesaber

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, so now I have to figure out how to port ICS or JB? I never accepted the "lock the bootloader" update, so in theory that's possible. But Yuck. I really wanted a nice, simple, OTA update from Moto.

I guess my next phone is likely to be a Nexus.

There's plenty of good working ICS and JB roms on XDA. I've been running JB for a while now as a daily driver.

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I want to see if there's a new Nexus(es) out at year's end before I decide, but my wife and I may be heading to Verizon. So long Sprint and Moto.

Is there anyone who's going to take the $100 towards a new Motorola phone?

Last edited:

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Downgrading to a Samsung is hardly an option. Go for it though if you don't mind the constant signal issues, dropped and missed calls, etc.

I admit that I do have concerns, but some friends swear by the S3. I think I'm gonna take the plunge. I sure hope you're wrong!

---------- Post Merged at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:58 AM ----------

I loved my Photon, but I'm so glad I swapped it out for an S3 using Best Buy's Buy Back when the S3 launched. Would have seriously annoyed about no ICS...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Glad to hear that the S3 is working out for you. Been seeing lots of positives about the phone, which has caused me to really want it. Motorola just helped encourage me to go ahead and get it.

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I loved my Photon, but I'm so glad I swapped it out for an S3 using Best Buy's Buy Back when the S3 launched. Would have seriously annoyed about no ICS...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I was a big fan of the Photon, too, but when Google announced they were not going to support the lapdocks anymore, that just cemented my decision to upgrade to the GS3. This latest announcement is only further icing on the cake. Photon was a great phone and it did have quite a few updates, but I just had a feeling it would be left behind.

gogators1974

Banned
Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I told everyone back in February that the photon won't get it... It has to do with marketing.. This phone didn't sell and Motorola already said why update phones that do not sell... But know everyone told me im wrong.. Lol who's laughing now.. This is why i left sprint and their crappie unlimited.. Why hv unlimited when the is slow as a turtle... Now here comes all the sprint fanboys telling me im wrong.. But who's laughing now.. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

popologuy

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
First hp tells me that they will not update my beloved Pre, then I get the Photon and Motorola first promises then breaks that promise on upgrading to ICS.... I'm starting to think I'm like some girl who keeps picking jerks to go out with!

No more Moto for me! I'm going Gangnam style and getting the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 as soon as Sprint gets it!

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Downgrading to a Samsung is hardly an option. Go for it though if you don't mind the constant signal issues, dropped and missed calls, etc.

Dude I know u a moto fan but please stop addressing old as issues that Samsung HAD with their phones key word HAD I'll never downgrade to a moto EVER AGAIN

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37