I'll be in the UK (mostly in London) for a little more than a month this summer, and I'm thinking of bringing my Sprint Motorola Photon (first generation--no keyboard) with me. I may also spend some time in Europe (Paris, most likely).

As seanok points out in this thread, it *should* be possible to use the phone's GSM capabilities with a new SIM card in the UK and elsewhere.

Has anyone successfully used their Photon in the UK? If so, did you use a new SIM card, and where did you get it? Ideally, I'd find a way to use a prepaid SIM card to access voice, texting, and data without paying Sprint for service in the UK. Also: 1) I'd like to have sprint forward calls and texts from Sprint/the US to my temporary number; 2) I'd like to be able to use my SIM and phone in Europe.

So, any advice here? Should I bother trying to use my Photon in the UK, or just invest in a "disposable" phone while I'm there?

Many thanks for any advice.
    05-11-2013 06:30 PM
    You can use your phone with a uk SIM, just go to am electronics store and purchase one.

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far far away
    05-12-2013 07:21 PM
    I have a moto photon working just fine in London. I am using a t-mobile/ EE sim. There is an app in the market called Tweakker I used to change the APN settings for my provider.. just make sure you're able to switch back to sprint APN's when you go home.
    06-01-2013 08:54 AM
    You should be able to select gsm only in the mobile network settings... I didn't have to change any APN settings when I changed mine to t mobile for a friend...

It's in Spanish, but from home, menu, settings, networks (first option), mobile networks (last option), first drop down.

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far, far away
    06-01-2013 09:34 AM
    Thanks everyone for the information.

How well does the phone work with a new SIM?

Should I look for a T-Mobile SIM, then? Or what brand? Should I buy a SIM in a vending machine at Heathrow when I arrive?

With a new SIM, can you use data? Do your apps still work? What about Google Maps and such? Or it is just voice and texting?

Also, should I have my calls and texts forwarded from Sprint?
    06-13-2013 06:37 PM
    Afaik, everything will still work the way it should, just as I said, make sure you change that option to gsm only.

Oh, and you won't have 4g

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far, far away
    06-15-2013 02:42 AM