Laptop dock - don't screw this up Sprint!

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I was at Best Buy last week and asked sales rep if the Photon would be able to work with the current Atrix laptop dock and he said no, but that there should be an update that could get it to work since the Atrix and the Photon are essentially "the same phone." He didn't say anything about a specific dock coming out for the Photon though.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I was at Best Buy last week and asked sales rep if the Photon would be able to work with the current Atrix laptop dock and he said no, but that there should be an update that could get it to work since the Atrix and the Photon are essentially "the same phone." He didn't say anything about a specific dock coming out for the Photon though.
Motorola nor Sprint ever said anything about coming out with a laptop dock. So, I doubt they will release it.

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Does the Atrix laptop dock have a battery? I ask, because we have something of an analog in terms of pricing in the keyboard dock for the Asus Transformer, which does have a full-size battery but doesn't have a screen. And that's selling well at $150. So, I'd assume that the laptop dock WITH a screen should warrant something of a premium over the Asus dock, with or without its own battery.

It has about 8 hours worth of battery, in addition to what the phone can handle. It also charges the phone while docked.

Real shame that this doesn't appear to be available; I have an Atrix and love the dock but was considering a switch to the Photon on Sprint. I'm a big fan of the associated accessories for the Atrix and if the Photon had the lapdock available I would jump in a minute. Without it, I'll probably just stick with what I have on AT&T.

dr_hfuhuhurr

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't believe anyone working at Best Buy about anything. Lack of info from Sprint or Moto about it doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen. I truly hope it does, I would purchase it in a heartbeat.

The HD dock works wonderfully so I would be happy to have a more portable version of that.

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

From the pics I have seen, the Photon and the Atrix are not aligned at all with regard to their USB and HDMI ports. Both are used to dock the Atrix, so I would be surprised if there was an adapter of some sort to use the Atrix laptock with the Photon.

Maybe they could come up with a way to remove and replace the 'door' where you dock the phone; that would seem to be the only way to 'adapt' the Atrix lapdock for the Photon.

It's really a shame that Motorola took this approach, because they could have increased the market for the lapdocks significantly by making the accessories (lapdock, Media dock, car dock) cross-compatible with both phones..