Photon Support Group For Palm webOS Users

freeridstylee

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried perfect task switcher, and it didn't really jive with me. Why does it always start all of the way to the left? Why can't it start in the middle somewhere?

That is the one thing I'm really excited for on Android is rooting and roms. I'm hoping to find a custom rom that does all of the customizing work for me. haha.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
In case you haven't been over to Precentral.net, HP has slashed the prices of their touchpads. Just picked up a 32gb for $149.99. Check out the touchpad forum.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
In case you haven't been over to Precentral.net, HP has slashed the prices of their touchpads. Just picked up a 32gb for $149.99. Check out the touchpad forum.
For full disclosure, we should say why that is:

BREAKING: HP shutting down webOS device operations, will "continue to explore options"

Reactions: kmcochran

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Milo, I figured since this thread was for former webOS users, they would have heard about the news. I still have my Pre-, but am still planning to get the Photon for my phone.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in the Questions thread, but haven't gotten an answer, so I'll ask it here:

Can you watch shows streamed on websites like tnt.tv and mylifetime.com? I'd love to be able to stream them easily to my TV. And can you just use the hdmi cable straight from your phone to the TV, or does that require rooting?

jrv2kgts

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Former Pre- user here and I have a few android adjustment questions to ask.

1. Is there any way to sync my facebook calendar to the phone's calendar?
2. Is there a way to search for contacts by initials like in just type (ie. John Smith = "JS")?

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Former Pre- user here and I have a few android adjustment questions to ask.

2. Is there a way to search for contacts by initials like in just type (ie. John Smith = "JS")?

I believe there's a way to do this if you look a couple of pages back. Also, check the 1st post as I think Milo updated to reflect how to search your contacts that way.

Featherman

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Day 3 with the photon and all I can say is I REALLY MISS MY PRE! If HP had not abandoned me I would still be waiting for the Pre3.

The Photon is incredibly fast and sharp. It does many, many things well... I just can't stand it.

I need a phone, email, contact manager, calender and web browser, in that order. If I wanted to watch a movie on a 4 inch screen, I wouldn't have bought a 60 inch TV. The Photon strikes me as an entertainment device with a phone stuck on it.

Has anyone tried a Windows OS phone?

craigdts

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Day 3 with the photon and all I can say is I REALLY MISS MY PRE! If HP had not abandoned me I would still be waiting for the Pre3.

The Photon is incredibly fast and sharp. It does many, many things well... I just can't stand it.

I need a phone, email, contact manager, calender and web browser, in that order. If I wanted to watch a movie on a 4 inch screen, I wouldn't have bought a 60 inch TV. The Photon strikes me as an entertainment device with a phone stuck on it.

Give it a little more time. For fast search try gesture search from google in the market. Get your home screen organized and you will be flying around the os in no time. I too moved from palm os (still not beat in my book for PIM), web os day 1, but left because pim was unusably slow to me and no editable docs. Convert you email to gmail and it pretty much like a hosted exchange server.

Dont give up on video yet, i love winding down to netflix tv shows in the evening because my wife can sleep with the tv on.

Im now staying on android. Ive used samsung moment, evo 3d, evo 4g, samsung epic, now motorola photon and love the photon. Never buy samsung if you plan to use gps. They have some problem that they havent fixed on 4android uears or so leaving to poor signal and location.

Reactions: elvisgp

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

My husband accidentally drown his Pixi (but it works fine now, the kids play with it) and he bought the HTC Arrive off-contract. He likes it. He doesn't seem to have any problems with the phone part of it. He mainly uses it for phone, email, text and he does watch Netflix stuff on it. It has a horizontal slider, and the keyboard seems so huge to me. I had a bit of a hard time typing a text on it because I'm used to the keys being closer. I haven't really played with it too much. The Mango update looks really good, but my only concern is apps & support (same as with webOS). Sprint only has one Windows 7 phone and I haven't really checked to see what new phones they'll be getting in the next month or so. I think Mango is supposed to be released soon.

doramjan

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the post and the kind welcome. I'll find some way to get by with a Photon and a Pre 2 until a viable webOS phone is released (hopefully one is released at some point!).

Indy Rhino#AC

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Photon or Epic?

Being a LONG time Palm owner, I'm starting my search for an android based phone. Not crazy about it, but the 'ol Pre- is about to implode on me! (1Ghz & lots of patches may or may not be the reason!) Regardless, just curious as to why no one seems to be talking about the Epic? Has anyone else chosen between these 2 phones? What made you decide on the model you selected? I'm coming at this from the keyboard side of a Pre- owner....for a few more days before jumping from WebOS.

Thanks in advance...and this has been a GREAT thread that you started Milo...almost as good as the work you do/done at Precentral!

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I've been a palm fanboy since my first palm III back in the late 90s through a lauch day Pre and a FrankenPre2 on Sprint. Yesterday, I bought the photon when it went on sale at BBY for $99.

A few questions:
  • Can I use my former palm USB charging cables on the phone? I have been and it appears to work. But is this a bad idea? Does the output of the palm USB wall charger match that of the stock charger?
  • Is there any capacitive charging solution available at all (ala Touchstone)?
  • Is the $70 moto car mount the only one available? If others, recommendations?

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Woo~hoo!! Just got my Photon today and my TouchPad. I'm a bit overwhelmed with setting them both up, plus my kids are trying to play on them in between me updating them, not to mention we've got a hurricane breathing down our necks!

jadiff

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been a palm fanboy since my first palm III back in the late 90s through a lauch day Pre and a FrankenPre2 on Sprint. Yesterday, I bought the photon when it went on sale at BBY for $99.

A few questions:
  • Can I use my former palm USB charging cables on the phone? I have been and it appears to work. But is this a bad idea? Does the output of the palm USB wall charger match that of the stock charger?
  • Is there any capacitive charging solution available at all (ala Touchstone)?
  • Is the $70 moto car mount the only one available? If others, recommendations?

I am using my Palm charger. The touchstone will even hold it in place if you position the kickstand just right. I have seen some kind of electric touchmats, but I haven't looked into if it will work for the Photon..

tonic_3402

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Photon or Epic?

Being a LONG time Palm owner, I'm starting my search for an android based phone. Not crazy about it, but the 'ol Pre- is about to implode on me! (1Ghz & lots of patches may or may not be the reason!) Regardless, just curious as to why no one seems to be talking about the Epic? Has anyone else chosen between these 2 phones? What made you decide on the model you selected? I'm coming at this from the keyboard side of a Pre- owner....for a few more days before jumping from WebOS.

Thanks in advance...and this has been a GREAT thread that you started Milo...almost as good as the work you do/done at Precentral!
The Epic is about 1 year old, single core. The Photon just came out & is dual core. I hope that the photon gets supported for a bit since google is picking up Motorola (as long as they don't go the way of HPalm)

I just got the Photon 2 days ago. It's snappy and has some apps, skype, auto focus camera that I did miss on the Pre. Though, I can't make it multi-task and move with ease like the pre did. All and all, the radio seems to be much stronger, I do like the build quality, and will try to learn Andriod over the next 27 days to make sure I can keep with it. As for now, I say go with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463