10-03-2011 05:49 PM
188 1234 ...
tools
    Wow, I almost skipped this phone while waiting for the GS2. This looks like everything I've been waiting for and more. The av dock and car dock look incredible. I think I'm in.
    07-30-2011 01:21 PM
    I'm having an issue...every couple of hours, my phone stops working...I can't hear anything from the speaker and no one can hear me on the other end. A power cycle fixes it though. I've had to do that 3 times already today though.
    07-30-2011 07:46 PM
    I'm having an issue...every couple of hours, my phone stops working...I can't hear anything from the speaker and no one can hear me on the other end. A power cycle fixes it though. I've had to do that 3 times already today though.
    You might wanna get that checked out then.
    07-30-2011 08:08 PM
    This is my first Android phone, after being a Blackberry guy for a couple years, and Windows Phone before that. So far, I really like it. I love the way it is easy to customize almost everything. I have been able to either install Android versions of my old programs, or easily find equivalents. I realize this is not much of a review, but as a general impression from someone without any Android experience, so far, no issues at all.
    I'm glad to hear from someone who has had time to play with this. I just ordered mine and I should get it by 8/4. I don't really need to upgrade as I have the htc evo shift 4g (which I love). But, I couldn't resist this phone due to some of the features this phone offered.

I think you'll like android. Android like blackberry has some aspects that you would like to change but I prefer Android OS over iOS and blackberry os. I have had blackberry's for work and personal use before and I still use blackberry for work. In fact I currently have a blackberry curve running BB os 6 for my work phone and I prefer Android.
    07-30-2011 08:13 PM
    My biggest concern with this phone now is that no one seems to know whether or not it has the PenTile screen of the Droid X2 and other Moto phones. The hands-on write-ups and vids following its announcement don't make mention of it, and some even claim it's the best screen they've seen on a Motorola phone, so maybe we'll dodge the PenTile bullet.
    it does have a pentile screen
    07-31-2011 09:27 AM
    My only issue has to do with the Android OS, and not really anything with the phone itself. I am really annoyed that it doesn't handle IMAP email accounts properly, but I see that this has been discussed for a couple years. I need to try some of the other email programs out there.

The Photon is running great. No problems with it, at all!
    07-31-2011 09:45 AM

This has happened once to me as well. I power cycled and haven't had the issue since. I'll keep a lookout for it, though. Very strange.
    07-31-2011 11:13 AM
    Only two complaints so far:

1. The display - a bit jittery with motion, and doesn't seem to display gradients well. Maybe it doesn't show enough colors? Plenty bright and sharp, though. Not fond of the black on white menus instead of CM7's white on black, but I can get used to it.

2. The phone doesn't go into dock mode in the car dock with the most minimalist case installed. Maybe the magnet detector doesn't penetrate the case? Don't know, but I don't like it. Will go without a case until someone figures this out.

Otherwise, the phone is fantastic. I can see that I'll likely be dumping Touch Wiz for Go Launcher or Launcher Pro pretty quickly, but I'm going to give it more of a chance first.
    07-31-2011 12:37 PM
    Just got mine this morning. Already I've noticed my signal runs about 1 bar better than my EVO 4G. Screen is gorgeous. I don't see any negative about the screen. Plus, the screen doesn't pick up fingerprints nearly as bad as my EVO. This thing is fast. I'm still loading up programs from the Market and Amazon App stores, but it seems to download more quickly, and definitely installs programs quicker than my EVO did. Haven't seen any lag at all. I have to admit I've already switched to Launcher Pro though. Nothing wrong with the Moto edition, but I've always preferred the customer launchers.

Pictures of the phone really don't do justice. It is a very attractive phone, and feels really good in the hand. The build quality just feels stellar. And I agree with the reviews I've seen, Moto paid a lot of attention to the little details, which just makes this phone seem even better.

The weight is weird. While I'm fairly sure it is on par with the EVO, it feels lighter somehow. I can't explain this one. Just compare to the EVO and maybe you'll see what I mean.

Well, I'm glad I waited for this device. Barring any unforeseen problems, this one is a keeper.
    07-31-2011 12:57 PM
    Only a few hours with the Photon, but so far it's a SERIOUSLY well made device. Feels very well built and sturdy, great reception, crystal clear calls, bright enough display, great pics and videos and fast.

Only comments so far that I'm still working though:

Good onscreen keyboard and especially in landscape, but no dedicated .com button

Upside-down charging while kickstand works, but wonder if it will wear down the stand.

Still used to WebOS. Shoot me here Android fans, but I really realize now how good of an OS WebOS is Just a MILLION times more intuitive and easier all around. With that said, they failed at hardware, apps and marketing so they got what they deserved :-)

Reallly having fun with the Photon though. Now to find a cheaper micro HDMI cord!
    07-31-2011 03:17 PM
    For battery life: I'm on my 13th hour off the charger with 20% battery life. That's all on 4G, using Google+ to chat, Twitter, Facebook, downloading a game (want to see the Tegra 2 processor in action), texting, emails, and market browsing.

My EVO wouldn't have lasted that long.
    sndplace likes this.
    07-31-2011 04:21 PM
    I've got the dreaded light leakage, at the bottom of the screen. Honestly it almost seems like the screen moves up and down slightly. I'm a little worried about dust getting under the screen.

Not sure I understand why everyone is comparing this phone with the EVO 4G. It should be faster and have better battery life.
    07-31-2011 04:30 PM
    My only issue has to do with the Android OS, and not really anything with the phone itself. I am really annoyed that it doesn't handle IMAP email accounts properly, but I see that this has been discussed for a couple years. I need to try some of the other email programs out there.

The Photon is running great. No problems with it, at all!
    I hate to quote myself, but I think I found the solution to my own problem.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...on-solved.html
    07-31-2011 05:40 PM
    I'm seriously hating the pentile screen. Everything looks checkerboarded... everything. Can't read black text on white background zoomed out. Display is bright but colors are washed out. Phone is speedy and fast, everything feels very well built, but the display is just so awful.

I'm probably going to return for a 3D.

I just don't like being able to see all the pixels.
    07-31-2011 05:42 PM
    Hey guys. Update the motorola software if you haven't. Some issues get resolved with that like the random unresponsive moments.
    07-31-2011 06:08 PM
    Does anyones photon make a click noise when you hit the camera app?
    Srycantthnkof1 likes this.
    07-31-2011 06:35 PM
    Mine says up to date.

One note about the unresponsive audio issue... The same issue has plagued the XPRT since it came out (I'm reading the Motorola XPRT support forums now). So, it may be across their product line. That would really suck, especially since they have no fix as of today.
    07-31-2011 07:06 PM
    Ok, So I've had the phone 5 hours now and here is what I've noticed.

Compared to my EVO 4G

Battery Life: About the same

Phone Speed: Noticeably better, though the unlock screen takes a second or two

Cell signal: 2 bars lower than my EVO 4G at home.

3G: Spotty, very spotty, drops in and out a lot and with speedtest it sometimes tests sub 300

4G: Doesnt pick up 4G at my house like my EVO did and my View still does.
    ----Where it does pick up 4G it speed tests sub 900, which is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than my EVO tested which was around 2400.

So in all the antennas seem to be lacking in comparison.

After a few days of talk time I'll let you know if I notice anything different or the person on the other end mentions anything. If things stick to this pattern, I may take advantage of the 30 day return.
    07-31-2011 07:18 PM

Compared to my EVO 4G

3G: Spotty, very spotty, drops in and out a lot and with speedtest it sometimes tests sub 300

----Where it does pick up 4G it speed tests sub 900, which is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than my EVO tested which was around 2400.

After a few days of talk time I'll let you know if I notice anything different or the person on the other end mentions anything. If things stick to this pattern, I may take advantage of the 30 day return.
    Thats very disappointing to hear that the signal strength and data speeds arent that great because thats one of the main reasons that im returning my Evo 3D tomorrow for the Photon... Hopefully its just your device and not a widespread issue.
    07-31-2011 07:32 PM
    My signal strength is WAY better than the Evo3D I dumped for the Photon...both 3G and 4G.

Actually, the ONLY thing I'm not liking is that I don't seem to be able to have individual mail box icons for each of my email addresses, but since the icon doesn't seem to display the number of unread emails, it probably doesn't matter.
    donniegood likes this.
    07-31-2011 07:46 PM
    My signal strength is WAY better than the Evo3D I dumped for the Photon...both 3G and 4G.

Actually, the ONLY thing I'm not liking is that I don't seem to be able to have individual mail box icons for each of my email addresses, but since the icon doesn't seem to display the number of unread emails, it probably doesn't matter.
    My comparison is to the EVO 4G, not the 3D.

As far as the mailboxes, in your app menu there is a "Messages" icon that breaks it down
    07-31-2011 08:09 PM
    I'm seriously hating the pentile screen. Everything looks checkerboarded... everything. Can't read black text on white background zoomed out. Display is bright but colors are washed out. Phone is speedy and fast, everything feels very well built, but the display is just so awful.

I'm probably going to return for a 3D.

I just don't like being able to see all the pixels.
    I'm not seeing the pixels, and the colors on mine are just fine. Better than my EVO 4G. Maybe my eyes just see differently. :-)

Hey guys. Update the motorola software if you haven't. Some issues get resolved with that like the random unresponsive moments.
    What update?

Compared to my EVO 4G

My experience is the opposite. My EVO4G runs typically 1 to 2 bars in my house (used to be better before GB update). With 1 bar on my EVO, my Photon has had 4+. My "time without a signal" on my EVO runs over 20% typically, whereas my Photon is at about 2%. That was one of my main hopes that the signal would be improved, and it definitely is.
    07-31-2011 09:02 PM
    Got one today. Mostly still trying to figure out Android. (I'm coming from a Pre.) Seems very responsive, but I'm having trouble finding options. Maybe they don't exist. for instance, I'd like an option to make the alarms be on or off when the phone is in "silent" mode. Also, I loaded K9 mail, but it only seems to update when I ask it to, and I'm a little worried about ho wit is interacting with the server. In particular, it would be really bad if it were removing anything from the server. This is probably the wrong forum for K9 questions - any suggestions as to the right forum?
    07-31-2011 09:28 PM
    My comparison is to the EVO 4G, not the 3D.

As far as the mailboxes, in your app menu there is a "Messages" icon that breaks it down
    Yeah, the post right above mine mentioned the 3D.
    07-31-2011 09:29 PM
    all i got to say is wow i love this phone its the best has anyone tryed or order the otterbox for the photon
    07-31-2011 10:08 PM
188 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD