04-29-2012 01:01 AM
117 ... 2345
tools
    I bought some after market 1950mAh (same physical size as stock) batteries for my Photon off of ebay that so far I'm very happy with. Here are the details:

There were 3 batteries and a charger that also has a USB port.
    The batteries are each 1950mAh and 3.7VDC
    The original battery that came with my droid is 1650mAh and 3.8VDC
    The batteries are the same exact size as the original but a just a very slighly snugger fit so it took a bit more pressure to get one of the batteries inserted all the way and the stock case back fits the same as with the stock battery!
    The listing was : "3x 1950mAh BF6X Battery+Charger For MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G"
    The seller was: "hk_plaza"
    The cost was $12.95 USD including shipping. (Not sure how they can sell for so low? but nice for me! and I thought worth the try even to have 3 spare batteries and a charger!)

TEST RESULTS:
    I turned on the following on the phone as I wanted it to drain as fast as possible for the test:
    ON=4G, Bluetooth, GPS, Wireless, iheart radio (tuned to a station) volume 0%, screen brighness=100% with autobrightness=OFF, screen time out sleep=NEVER.

1650mAh Stock battery from drained 100% to 10% = 3 hours & 33 minutes or (213 minutes)
    1950mAh ebay battery from drained 100% to 10% = 4 hours & 25 minutes. or (265 minutes)

This is a gain of 52 minutes at the above settings.

For $12.95 I'm a very happy camper so far! I'll keep testing over the next month or so and post updates to this post to see how the battery life holds up with daily use since I've only used them for about 1 week now.
    I bought something similar. $15 dollars for 2 batteries and a charger. They just arrived today. Boy, they look like cheap knock-offs!

They say
    For moto XT882/BF6X
    LI-ion 3.7v
    3.7VDC = 1950mAh

The charger glows pink when it charges, and has a USB port.

Now I have to decide if I dare to put one in my Photon! Right now I'm just charging one of the batteries.
    10-17-2011 04:29 PM
    You guys that are getting 15+ hours of "use" time must have some miraculous battery. I make phone calls, a little texting, and might read a little news. After about 13 hours everyday I'm down to about 20%-30%. That is with GPS off, Wifi off, and several really 0 extra apps running. Social media sites are logged out of also. Power save options are on. I honestly feel like this phone spends more time in it's holster (Otterbox) than it does in my hand. Not so sure it was a good switch from the BB Torch.
    10-17-2011 08:39 PM
    Here goes. Anything I schools watch for in a cheap knock-off battery?
    10-18-2011 06:43 AM
    You guys that are getting 15+ hours of "use" time must have some miraculous battery. I make phone calls, a little texting, and might read a little news. After about 13 hours everyday I'm down to about 20%-30%. That is with GPS off, Wifi off, and several really 0 extra apps running. Social media sites are logged out of also. Power save options are on. I honestly feel like this phone spends more time in it's holster (Otterbox) than it does in my hand. Not so sure it was a good switch from the BB Torch.
    I don't use my phone as much as others do during the work day. I do have twitter updating every half hour, read some message boards using tapatalk, and send/receive some texts. With all that, plus using the music player for about 2 hours a day, I don't have to charge my phone until night time.
    RandomElement likes this.
    10-18-2011 08:22 AM
    My experience, weak in comparison to many on this forum, has me settled on the following framework for battery thoughts...

#1 battery killer is poor reception. CDMA phones (in my experience) have better life than GSM when they have a good signal. Much worse when the signal is poor. I think this is still the most important factor when chosing your carrier. You might be able to boost battery life (and have cleaner calls) with something like this: AIRAVE by Sprint Support

#2 battery killer is rogue applications. Have an application that is in conflict, gone into a do loop, or just poorly written and your battery life shortens dramatically. This forum is great for finding bad or conflicting apps i.e. WidgetLocker... I have never been able to find a good way (like via task manager) to detect rogue apps. Anyone have a good tutorial for finding juice hogging apps?

#3 battery killer is usage. Hammering away at the browser while running music player in the background will tax your battery. Netflix via 4G is another good one. I have found the juice defender app to be helpful here. Also thinking of carrying a back up battery (not to replace, but one that you plug into the usb port to re-charge the stock battery). Pulling the back off the photon is a b*tch.

#4 battery killer is design flaw. I have had batteries with internal shorts (more than one blackberry OEM battery), phones that were flawed (first Palm Pre) and ones with batteries that were just too small (Motorola StarTac).

I think I have had all but #4 on my photon, although I suspect that there may be a better battery available via third parties...

-Sean
    hokuSai101 likes this.
    10-19-2011 03:02 PM
    By the way, the I wrote to the guy who sells widget locker, and he thinks he can fix the problem.
    10-19-2011 03:10 PM
    I've been testing a beta version of WL where he said he fixed the problem an I can confirm that it's working well. Battery seems to be back to where it was before.
    10-19-2011 06:01 PM
    I've been testing a beta version of WL where he said he fixed the problem an I can confirm that it's working well. Battery seems to be back to where it was before.
    Awesome!! I miss the lockscreen I had set up. Do they know when an update will release?
    10-20-2011 08:43 AM
    Awesome!! I miss the lockscreen I had set up.y know when an update will release?
    He just release an update today, but I haven't checked to see if the battery issue was included. I guess I'llfind out in a few hours.
    10-20-2011 05:39 PM
    He just release an update today, but I haven't checked to see if the battery issue was included. I guess I'llfind out in a few hours.
    Sweet!! I'll check that out today
    10-21-2011 08:47 AM
    Yeah...sweet! I've seen people's lock screens and they look great! Can't wait to try!
    10-21-2011 10:33 AM
    Re-downloaded WL to see if it kills my battery quickly................I hope it doesn't
    10-21-2011 01:10 PM
    Some of the best ideas on battery, thanks from a new user.
    10-28-2011 01:04 PM

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network
    10-30-2011 09:45 AM
    Click to view quoted image

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network

Based on 198_7 update and Juice Defender...not sure if that's good or not.
    10-30-2011 03:52 PM
    Here's mine.
    10-30-2011 04:02 PM
    Here's mine.
    What the hell are you using to get such great battery life? If you use Juice Defender, could you provide settings? Also, what other apps do you have running in the background?
    10-30-2011 04:18 PM
    What the hell are you using to get such great battery life? If you use Juice Defender, could you provide settings? Also, what other apps do you have running in the background?
    Lolz! I don't know what's going on with my Photon! We changed our internet from Cox to FIOS and that's when I started getting double and triple battery life. Maybe the FIOS router signal is better? I dunno. It is using WEP. I have gmail and social networking running in the background, as well as the other general background apps on the phone.
    10-30-2011 04:34 PM
    That's crazy! LOL! Well I immediately called Motorola and Sprint to provide a replacement battery for me..Hahah...enjoy those hours of Photon pleasure!
    10-30-2011 04:48 PM
    I'm about 40 days into my MoPho ownership and my battery under normal usage is HORRIBLE! I turned off all widgets and set many common offenders to end after 2 mins of inactivity...Not using Wifi, BT, hotspot or 4g, email checks are manual and done every 1-2 hours - I still have to charge up at least 2x day. The only app I leave running now is the 3g data watchdog (just because I want to get a better feel of my usage).

Any ideas?
    11-09-2011 02:35 AM
    I'm about 40 days into my MoPho ownership and my battery under normal usage is HORRIBLE! I turned off all widgets and set many common offenders to end after 2 mins of inactivity...Not using Wifi, BT, hotspot or 4g, email checks are manual and done every 1-2 hours - I still have to charge up at least 2x day. The only app I leave running now is the 3g data watchdog (just because I want to get a better feel of my usage).

Any ideas?
    What does your normal usage consist of?
    11-09-2011 07:33 AM
    What does your normal usage consist of?
    phone usage

After about 3 hours of talk time I'm down to 50%
    11-09-2011 09:00 AM

Any ideas?
    Sprint store just informed me the battery is/was defective (after they tested it). They just gave me a new battery (I have TEP, whatever it's called these days) and will "condition" it, per instrucitons tonight. Report back in a week or so.
    11-09-2011 03:44 PM
    Sprint store just informed me the battery is/was defective (after they tested it). They just gave me a new battery (I have TEP, whatever it's called these days) and will "condition" it, per instrucitons tonight. Report back in a week or so.
    It might help to use Juice Defender once you're all set up. I've noticed a big difference in battery life!
    11-10-2011 05:13 PM
    It might help to use Juice Defender once you're all set up. I've noticed a big difference in battery life!
    I was toying with that when I was on the defective batt, and will try it again soon.

New battery update (day1):

2.5 hours of calls
    took 15 pics
    checked email, FB, twitter, each a dozen times or so
    updated calendar, etc.

13 hours unplugged - 20% batt remaining...now that's more like it!
    11-11-2011 11:31 AM
117 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD